Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Nix the answer?

Is Nix the answer?

There has been endless talk about what needs done to improve our outfield.Right now I think we are looking pretty good in the outfield.Now that Nix is hot and Willy T is exceeding expectations is it necessary to trade anyone to acquire another outfielder?I love our pitching dept and would hate to give up any of it along with prospects to get a old expensive bat if we don't need to.

The question is.Is Nix just hot or is he capable of keeping it up.I don't know if he can keep it up but I'm really hoping he can.This guy could end up saving the team a ton in prospects and money.Not to mention he is helping the team win a lot of games with his bat and his defense.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Dude Rock

Re: Is Nix the answer?

I'd like to know the distance on that home run Nix hit last night. Dead center field about 20-30 feet up on the wall. Unreal.

I think Nix is the answer given our current roster, yes. He is the only one (save Gomes if he heats up) with the skills to be an everyday guy in my opinion.

For what its worth, I read this on Yahoo today:

Layne Nix had a couple of hits (including a homer) in Cincinnati's win at Arizona, but this looks like a story that's going to end badly; when you've got 16 strikeouts over 52 at-bats, you're not supposed to be carrying a .327 average. Nix kept the left-field spot warm last week with a host of single-hit games, but even Dusty Baker is bound to realize the reality of the situation at some point later this month and start open auditions again.

With the multitude of OF's we were all discussing over the spring, I too am surprised that Nix has done so well. I don't know that he is the LONG TERM answer, but he does deserve the Lefty role in our lefty/righty platoon in LF. I would think Dickerson or Ronald McDonald are headed down.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Quote Originally Posted by xavr1 View Post
    I think Nix is the answer given our current roster, yes. He is the only one (save Gomes if he heats up) with the skills to be an everyday guy in my opinion.

For what its worth, I read this on Yahoo today:

Layne Nix had a couple of hits (including a homer) in Cincinnati's win at Arizona, but this looks like a story that's going to end badly; when you've got 16 strikeouts over 52 at-bats, you're not supposed to be carrying a .327 average. Nix kept the left-field spot warm last week with a host of single-hit games, but even Dusty Baker is bound to realize the reality of the situation at some point later this month and start open auditions again.
    The person at Yahoo! that wrote that is, in my humble opinion, a Yahoo!

Nix has great pop. He's patient at the plate. He can go opposite field, if for no other reason he's so strong that he can drive the ball down the left field line with an inside-out swing. And what's more is that he's showing an ability to play solid defense out there.

Though he may not wind up batting .327 (he has a very high, most likely unsustainable BABIP), the pop he's shown is absolutely legit, IMHO.

We're dealing with sample size issues, but anyone watching him up at the plate right now can see the talent is there. He's no fluke.

I would like to see the Reds call up Jonny Gomes. I think you have a real productive platoon with Nix against righties and Gomes against lefties.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    The person at Yahoo! that wrote that is, in my humble opinion, a Yahoo!

Nix has great pop. He's patient at the plate. He can go opposite field, if for no other reason he's so strong that he can drive the ball down the left field line with an inside-out swing. And what's more is that he's showing an ability to play solid defense out there.

Though he may not wind up batting .327 (he has a very high, most likely unsustainable BABIP), the pop he's shown is absolutely legit, IMHO.

We're dealing with sample size issues, but anyone watching him up at the plate right now can see the talent is there. He's no fluke.

I would like to see the Reds call up Jonny Gomes. I think you have a real productive platoon with Nix against righties and Gomes against lefties.

I agree 100%. The Reds should most certainly have Gomes up over McDonald. Gomes has hit lefties to the tune of a .369 .510 .879 line over his career. He would make an ideal partner with Nix in left to keep pop in our lineup when a lefty toes the rubber against us.

The only concern I would have with Gomes is his defense.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

It should be Nix, Bruce, Taveras every night unless someone gets hurt. Those three are getting it done and have earned it. Just pray for no injuries.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Nix has been downright dreadful against lefties in his career. I don't mind Nix getting the majority of the time but why put him out there in a situation that he won't succeed in?

They announced Nix homerun to center traveled a est. 433 feet lat night on TV. They said Rosales went 424 feet also.

I'd like to see Stubbs get a shot at some point but Nix is fine by me for now.

Dude Rock

I'm not ready to nix Nix yet.

Nix strikeout numbers dont worry me. He has struck out 5 times in 8 ab's against lefties, and he should never be hitting against a lefty anyway. Against righties he has struck out 1 our of 4 ab's which isnt a horrible number by any means. Not nearly in Dickerson territory who strikes out 1/3 ab's against righties. I think he can be the answer, the guy has always had the talent just always had the injuries.

Think Ryan Ludwick on STL last year.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    It should be Nix, Bruce, Taveras every night unless someone gets hurt. Those three are getting it done and have earned it. Just pray for no injuries.
    I agree with Schmidty regarding Nix against left-handers. I think Nix has earned playing most days, but his OPS this year against lefties is something in the neighborhood of .350. Sample size issues still, but he's had a very poor track record in his career against southpaws.

Just because he's been so poor against left-handers, I can see why someone would not call him an 'everyday' starter, but he sure is hitting the ball right now.

Nix is part of the answer.

I'm assuming the question is, "Who plays LF for the REDS in 2009?"

The panic mode was incredible this off-season regarding the question. It wasn't that difficult to find an answer to the question, as you can see. No trade had to be made, no $80M dollar contract had to be given to anyone. It was, and still is, a very simple question with a very simple answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Nix is part of the answer.

I'm assuming the question is, "Who plays LF for the REDS in 2009?"

The panic mode was incredible this off-season regarding the question. It wasn't that difficult to find an answer to the question, as you can see. No trade had to be made, no $80M dollar contract had to be given to anyone. It was, and still is, a very simple question with a very simple answer.
    Your right.Off-season questions like who's going to play LF is something that is far less important then past questions like who is going to be the 3rd ,4th, 5th starter and closer.The easier questions marks can sometimes find a way to work their selves out.The other question marks lead to 90 loss seasons.

Turn Off Ads?