Turn Off Ads?
Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031 LastLast

Thread: 5/12/09 Reds vs D-Backs

Re: 5/12/09 Reds vs D-Backs

you have to like the way this series has played out. The Reds 5th starter is able to beat one of the best pitchers in baseball and they have Cueto going up against a guy making his big league debut tomorrow.

2. Turn Off Ads?

After looking at the replay, I think Owings hit Roberts on purpose in the 8th inning. Check out the look on Phillips' face. You could tell he appreciated Owings retaliating.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/media...33307&c_id=cin

I must have missed it, but what would Owings have been retaliating for?
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    I must have missed it, but what would Owings have been retaliating for?
    Jon Rauch threw up and in on Phillips. He missed hitting him by 6-8 inches. The DBacks announcers thought it was intentional. Mark Grace mentioned that Owings has a history of taking up for his teammates.

I'm really like the job Ramon Hernandez has done so far.

Head and shoulders above Ross, Bako and Valintin.

After seeing the highlights on Quick Pitch tonight I thought that Owings was defending a teammate. I like that.

Rem

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

The Reds are now 12-5 on the road this year. Wow.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Move Votto to left and put Ramon on 1st until Alonso is ready!
    And that would mean putting Hannigan as full time catcher.

We lose offense (Hannigan playing instead of Nix) and defense in the OF and at first (though Hernandez has looked fine at first).

Anytime your number 5 starter can beat the other teams number 1 starter that's a good accomplishment. In years past the Reds would have had no chance in a game like this. Very encouraging and I think, at the least, the Reds will be able to hang around in the wild card race this season. Maybe better than that if things continue as they have in the last 10 days or so.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Jon Rauch threw up and in on Phillips. He missed hitting him by 6-8 inches. The DBacks announcers thought it was intentional. Mark Grace mentioned that Owings has a history of taking up for his teammates.
    Grace and Sutton just wouldn't let go of the notion that Owings wrist-plunking ejection was going to lead to counter-retaliation by D-backs pitchers and a bench-clearing brawl. I'm expecting they'll mention that at least a dozen times during tonight's game.
    /r/reds

Two straight big wins from Owings. I really like the way the guy competes in all aspects of the game -- he's a pretty unique player. The step-in-the-bucket swing is playground old school. And hitting that guy to lead off an inning when you're working on a shut out...it says a lot. I doubt there are many pitchers who would do that. As I've said before, Owings may not be a great pitcher or a great hitter, but he is a great baseball athlete, and I have a feeling his value to the team is even greater than the sum of his on-field contributions.

On the flip side, the Dbacks look absolutely comatose to me. Byrnes, Drew, Reynolds, Young, Upton, among others -- they all seem like they're going through the motions. Wouldn't be surprised if the managerial change there is unpopular with the players. Good young talent on that team, but their progress has screeched to a halt. When you shake up the coaching staff, and your team comes out looking like that -- bad, bad sign.

I think the Reds caught them at an opportune time-- almost between managers, if you will.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

This is a fun read

Diamondbacks forum

The look of A.J. Hinch in the dugout each of the 50 times both nights that they have showed him has removed a presupposition of mine that says "how hard can it be to be the manager of a major league team?" I have never seen anyone look so clueless in a major league dugout. Every time they show him, he has this deer in the headlights look like "I know I should be doing something, flashing a sign, clapping my hands, spitting, something, but I cannot think of anything to do except stare aimlessly at the field."

The only thing he is missing is the "Management Trainee" badge.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    The look of A.J. Hinch in the dugout each of the 50 times both nights that they have showed him has removed a presupposition of mine that says "how hard can it be to be the manager of a major league team?" I have never seen anyone look so clueless in a major league dugout. Every time they show him, he has this deer in the headlights look like "I know I should be doing something, flashing a sign, clapping my hands, spitting, something, but I cannot think of anything to do except stare aimlessly at the field."

The only thing he is missing is the "Management Trainee" badge.
    Good call. I was thinking the same thing last night. Hinch and whoever stands beside him (Bench or Pitching Coach) look like two business men who wandered into the dugout with uniforms on. They seriously look out of place. I've never seen them speak to another player, give high fives, or even show a little a bit of emotion. I have a feeling the situation will only get uglier as the season moves forward.

Turn Off Ads?