Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Brandon Phillips

Brandon Phillips

This is the official let's get off Brandon Phillips' back thread...

We all know he's not fit as a cleanup hitter, but we have to give credit where credit is due. He has hit in to FAR too many double plays, but he now has 6 bombs and 22 RBI (just behind Votto all you fellow Joey lovers). Phillips has really turned it on since getting a chip on his shoulder in Florida, and good for him.

Now to be realistic, I think Ramon Hernandez should be our RH cleanup over Phillips, but it's hard to argue with his numbers. He's been hitting the ball well, and while he isn't always timely in his hitting, he's coming around.

We don't need our cleanup hitter to be terribly patient, (although he does need a little work on it) we need him to drive in runs. And his numbers say he's been driving in runs...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brandon Phillips

I think Phillips needs to bat 2nd and Bruce 4th.

Phillips batting 2nd would really lower the chances of him hitting into a DP, and there is no reason to split Votto and Bruce because of how Votto hits lefties.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipsHead View Post

We all know he's not fit as a cleanup hitter, but we have to give credit where credit is due. He has hit in to FAR too many double plays, but he now has 6 bombs and 22 RBI (just behind Votto all you fellow Joey lovers). Phillips has really turned it on since getting a chip on his shoulder in Florida, and good for him.

Now to be realistic, I think Ramon Hernandez should be our RH cleanup over Phillips, but it's hard to argue with his numbers. He's been hitting the ball well, and while he isn't always timely in his hitting, he's coming around.

We don't need our cleanup hitter to be terribly patient, (although he does need a little work on it) we need him to drive in runs. And his numbers say he's been driving in runs...
    Something I've not seen get much play around here that's kind of stood out to me: Phillips has exactly as many walks as strikeouts this season. Of National League starters, that puts him in company with guys like Albert Pujols, Manny Ramirez, James Loney, Brian McCann, Chipper Jones, Luis Castillo and Orlando Hudson. Of all starters, I see only 20 total players in the NL that have accomplished that thus far. And while his selectivity in pitches to chase after still leaves something to be desired, he's seeing almost four (4) pitchers per plate appearance.

I guess for me, Phillips is an extremely frustrating player. He's sometimes the opposite extreme of why Adam Dunn was frustrating for me. But like Dunn, at the end of the day, Phillips is producing. Maybe not to the extent others have produced, but he's adding a lot more than he's taking away.

If we had a lineup that could put Phillips as the 6-7 Hitter... He would be awesome... This team just needs a Legit 4 hole hitter... I mean, a Right Handed Power guy...

Not an Xavier Nady or anything like that... But someone who is a Legitimate Power Threat.

Like I said, Phillips is a Great Ball Player and would be awesome 6-7 Hole Hitter... We just don't have the man with the Big Bat like a Pujols or a Ramirez to put in the number 4 hole... Of course even if we had Ramirez now, he'd be Suspended!

Phillips pretty much single-handedly won the game for us last night offensively, so I'm pretty happy with him right now.

Brandon and the whole team is hot right now... the offense has finally shown up. Lets keep it going!
    "I notice that I'm throwing hard when I hear the crowd gasping," - Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    If we had a lineup that could put Phillips as the 6-7 Hitter... He would be awesome... This team just needs a Legit 4 hole hitter... I mean, a Right Handed Power guy...

Not an Xavier Nady or anything like that... But someone who is a Legitimate Power Threat.

Like I said, Phillips is a Great Ball Player and would be awesome 6-7 Hole Hitter... We just don't have the man with the Big Bat like a Pujols or a Ramirez to put in the number 4 hole... Of course even if we had Ramirez now, he'd be Suspended!

Brandon isnt a 7 hole hitter in any lineup in the mlb.

One thing ive noticed about BP is even last night. He looks frustrated with himself.

He needs to smile more out on the field relax and get his Swag back.

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

I really like BP in the 5 or 6 hole. A situation to get RBI and with the bats behind him, he can steal bases, and set up the later lineup rallies. That spot also takes his mind off anxiety of hitting 4th when your not a real cleanup hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipsHead View Post

I dont think I would ever want Hernandez batting 4th over Phillips.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post
    Brandon isnt a 7 hole hitter in any lineup in the mlb.

One thing ive noticed about BP is even last night. He looks frustrated with himself.

He needs to smile more out on the field relax and get his Swag back.
    Where is he then?

He is not suited for Lead Off...
    2nd Hole- Too many Double Plays...
    3rd Hole- Maybe if we had a Great Cleanup Hitter
    4 Hole- No
    5 Hole- Not Really
    6 Hole- Perfect
    7 Hole- Maybe a lil Low, but still a Good Slot for him...

BP has had a bad stretch of DP while he was slumping. For the first month of this season.

2nd hole works for him. 5 and 6th holes work for him.

I think he works just fine in that 4 hole............8 RBIs in 3 games. 19 RBIs during his 11 game hitting streak. He's back!!!!!!!!!

Leading the team in RBIs now ... I rest my case.

Everyone stop ragging on Phillips...

I've always been a BP doubter but my biggest complaint with him has always been OBP related. This season he's drawn a lot more walks than in the past and if he keeps his OBP relatively high I'd like to see him hit 2nd. If his OBP falls toward his career average I think he should hit 5 or 6. Somewhat unrelated I think Votto and Bruce should be hitting back to back.

No reason to change anything right now. Don't tinker with something that ain't broke. Which is one reason I'm worried about Gonzalez coming back tonight and disrupting what we've got going. This team is playing exciting ball right now.

Turn Off Ads?