Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: magglio could be released

Gary Redus Ruled

magglio could be released

the tigers are thinking about releasing ordonez in a cost cutting move ala sheffield per rotoworld .....thoughts about mags in left for the reds anyone?
    Hoping for another Reds October

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: magglio could be released

We already have a RF... But if he would play Left Field for 390,000, helk yeah!

The reds would be stupid to not try to get him if the Tigers did release him.

Well, Gary Sheffield is hitting Like .191 now so maybe it was good we didn't end up getting him...

Magglio would hit more than .191. I would like to explore the idea if he can play LF.

Unfortunately, I think he's a shell of his former self. His numbers have been going down, down as his age goes up, up.

I think Walt holds tight while the wins keep coming. There will be some serious bargains closer to the trade deadline, and I suspect he'll hold off as long as possible.

Maggs numbers are down because of his ground ball percentage has went up. I think its just a bit of bad hitting more than him really losing it just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by xavr1 View Post
    Magglio would hit more than .191. I would like to explore the idea if he can play LF.
    For league minimum, I absolutely would take a chance too.

However, some concerns I have beyond the obvious .638 OPS he has right now...

1. His K% is up almost six percent (17) from last season (11)
    2. He's hitting a ton more ground balls than fly balls
    3. His line drive percentage is also down

To me, these indicates declining bat speed. I would take the chance because of the low financial risk. However, I'm not sure he'll be able to recover to his career norms.

I wouldnt put in too much into K numbers right now just because of the sample size though, but I agree that its likely his bat speed is losing it.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    I wouldnt put in too much into K numbers right now just because of the sample size though, but I agree that its likely his bat speed is losing it.
    That's true. If in another month we're still having this discussion, and his K% continues to hover around this level, perhaps it will be a better indicator.

I do still think for league minimum, the Reds would have to jump at the opportunity to sign him. He's the kind of flier Jocketty might want to take a chance on for a middle-of-the-order right-handed bat.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    That's true. If in another month we're still having this discussion, and his K% continues to hover around this level, perhaps it will be a better indicator.

I do still think for league minimum, the Reds would have to jump at the opportunity to sign him. He's the kind of flier Jocketty might want to take a chance on for a middle-of-the-order right-handed bat.
    Yea no doubt.

Another thing to take into account is BABIP is pretty low compared to last years and his career.

That probably has a lot to do with him hitting ground balls though.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Yea no doubt.

Another thing to take into account is BABIP is pretty low compared to last years and his career.

That probably has a lot to do with him hitting ground balls though.
    Yea I saw that. .270 is a little low for him, but as you said, his LD% and GB% probably explains away the difference, most likely eliminating any lingering 'bad luck' effect.

Hmm

Hes not swinging and missing much more this year either hmm. Hes still hitting 84% of the pitches he swings at which is higher than his career numbers also.

Yea im probably going to lean towards that he doesnt trust his bat right now. He could be losing his bat speed or just not judging the strike zone that well. Will be interesting to see how his stats go the next month or so.

Dude Rock

I think you have to sign him if you can. In 2007, he was MVP of the AL, wasn't he? Dude's a career .311 hitter with 270 HR's in 12 previous seasons.
    Last edited by Dude Rock; 05-13-2009 at 04:07 PM.

Turn Off Ads?