Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: magglio could be released

Re: magglio could be released

he's certainly a better option than mcdonald

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think this would be a no-brainer. Yeah he's 35 but his bat showed no signs of slowing down last year and he was pretty close to his career averages. For the financial risk involved it would be an outstanding pick up and an ideal bat to place 4th between Votto and Bruce.

Dude Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Redus View Post
    the tigers are thinking about releasing ordonez in a cost cutting move ala sheffield per rotoworld .....thoughts about mags in left for the reds anyone?
    Where did you read this? Link?

Also, this kind of signing, if it were to work out, would prevent us from possibly "selling the farm" at the deadline to get a bat for the middle of the order.

If Magglio hits the market, I would be ALL over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude Rock View Post
    Where did you read this? Link?
    Here is an article from the Detroit Free Press that was sourced by MLB Trade Rumors:

http://www.freep.com/article/2009051...s+are+alarming

I don't see anything but conjecture by the writer that he might be released, but the reasons make plenty of sense as to why the Tigers might consider doing so.

this isn't going to happen, the tigers are in first place. they will bench him just enough so that his option for next year isn't guaranteed.

Dude Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Here is an article from the Detroit Free Press that was sourced by MLB Trade Rumors:

http://www.freep.com/article/2009051...s+are+alarming

I don't see anything but conjecture by the writer that he might be released, but the reasons make plenty of sense as to why the Tigers might consider doing so.
    I agree with the article. The financial landscape has changed, and if Detroit can buyout his contract for $3 million vs. paying hims $30 million over the next 2 years........I think it's a no-brainer.

Also, if they cut him, Ordonez will need to "revive" his career and prove himself again. It wouldn't surprise me to see him get into shape in the offseason and have a great year next season.

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

Signing an older outfielder to a short term deal does not go with our current trend with the team. We are a young, fast, defensive minded team. We are faceless team, one that only cares about winning. One that does not need that big name in the middle of the order. I don't want a guy... right now in this part of the season, that is that old. we have enough young talent that we need to decide who is playing, who is out, who we can possibly trade, ie. Hamilton for Volquez. Remember folks, this was not supposed to be our year, everything we do this year just means that Christmas has come early.

A 35 year old, slow, singles hitter, batting .241 with an OPS of .635 with poor defense?

I think we could do better than that and if we are seriously on a run for post-season play, we NEED to do better than that.

Not to mention, Dusty might bat him 3rd out of respect.

Hint: The Tigers aren't releasing him because of money. If they were, they wouldn't do it this early in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    Hint: The Tigers aren't releasing him because of money. If they were, they wouldn't do it this early in the season.
    Actually thats exactly why they would be releasing him. They dont want to make his 2010 option vest so they would release him.

He needs 330 more plate appearances before the $18 million option kicks in for 2010. That would put it at about the end of July before they would have to get serious about making a decision. By that time he could be earning his money and Detroit could be in first place which make the decision even more difficult.
    "I notice that I'm throwing hard when I hear the crowd gasping," - Chapman

Dude Rock

Detroit ownership/management probably paid the guy to write the article to motivate Ordonez. ;>)

I disagree about signing an older player. I think a 1 or 2 year contract is sufficient and allows a team to determine if their farm system is going to provide a replacement for that position down the road. Such as now............management needs to promote Heisey to Louisville and see if he continues to hit over .300 with a good OBP and Slugging percentage.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Actually thats exactly why they would be releasing him. They dont want to make his 2010 option vest so they would release him.
    If the guy was worth anything close to his value and he would help them win a World Series, I don't see why they would release him.

"We're in first place, we could win the AL and possibly the world series, but we need to release Maggs even though we still think he's good."

The guy is washed up and isn't very good. He's not pulling his weight and deserves to be traded/released. Actually, that's something we should've done with Griffey around 2005 or '06.

Quote Originally Posted by NastyBoy View Post
    He needs 330 more plate appearances before the $18 million option kicks in for 2010. That would put it at about the end of July before they would have to get serious about making a decision. By that time he could be earning his money and Detroit could be in first place which make the decision even more difficult.
    A decision by the end of July? How convenient.

Turn Off Ads?