Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bill Bray to undergo Tommy John surgery

Bill Bray to undergo Tommy John surgery

Per Lance's blog:

Things I'm told

Reds reliever Bill Bray will return to Cincinnati next week for Tommy John surgery.

He's been on the DL since April 6 with an elbow strain. He's currently in Sarasota where he was attempting to rehab the elbow. He appeared in three games for AAA Louisville this year.

http://www.1530homer.com/pages/lancesBlog.html

It's a shame that Bill Bray has never been able to stay healthy. He's got the stuff to be a top notch left handed reliever but injuries have held him back.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bill Bray to undergo Tommy John surgery

The Reds hit the daily double on that trade. Majewski was hurt when they got him and now Bray.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

He's never been right. Hopefully, he comes back from the surgery, stronger, as a lot of guys do, now days.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    The Reds hit the daily double on that trade. Majewski was hurt when they got him and now Bray.
    Yep. I hated the trade when it first went down, then as time went on I tried to convince myself it wasn't as bad as everyone thought. I was wrong. Overall, I thought Wayne Krivsky did a nice job during his Reds tenure, but the trade was clearly his biggest mistake.

I'm not a doctor nor have I played one on TV nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn last night....

But why the heck did it take the Reds medical staff so long to figure this out? The guy hasn't been right since they got him.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Yep. I hated the trade when it first went down, then as time went on I tried to convince myself it wasn't as bad as everyone thought. I was wrong. Overall, I thought Wayne Krivsky did a nice job during his Reds tenure, but the trade was clearly his biggest mistake.
    Lopez and Kearns were and are still the best players involved in the trade. Unfortunately, that's not saying much.

However, Lopez appears to have made an adjustment after getting shipped to St. Louis last season, and it's carrying over to this season.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I think it turns out that each GM knew that their own players had serious warts, and overall, neither team really came out ahead.

Reds gave up:
    1.Ryan Wagner. He still is languishing in AAA Syrause with a 5.74 ERA this year.
    2. Austin Kearns. Austin turns 29 this month, and should be in his peak years. His salary this year is $8 million dollars, and he would have been a free agent if the Reds had kept him. He is batting .229/.373/.446 for an OPS of .818 in 2009. In 2008, he had a .627 OPS over 86 games, and in 2007 he had an OPS of .765 over 161 games.
    3. Felipe Lopez. Now with Arizona, Felipe was released by the Nationals in July of 2008. He was making about $5 million last year, and the Reds could have had him back then if they wanted him. His stats: 2007 with Washington: .245/.308/.352 for an OPS of .659. In 2008, with Washington, .234/.305/.314 for an OPS of .619. Since leaving Washington, he is hitting much better.

Reds obtained in return:
    1. Royce Clayton. Now out of baseball, he hit .235/.290/.329 for an OPS of .619 after coming to the Reds in 2006. He was a free agent after 2006, and he signed for one last year with Toronto in 2007.
    2. Gary Majewski. Released by the Reds, and currently on the Phillies AAA team. All the stats you need to see are his Reds ERA numbers: 2006-8.40 2007-8.22 2008-6.52.
    3. Bill Bray. See above. Reds ERA numbers: 2006-4.23. 2007-6.28. 2008-2.87. Bray will turn 26 in June.
    4. Brendan Harris. Sent to Tampa Bay in January 2007, the Reds basically got nothing for him. He is playing second for the Twins this season, and is batting .309/.360/.441 for an OPS of .801 over the first 24 games he has played.
    5. Daryl Thompson. After a nice recovery including coming all the way up to the Reds last year, Thompson is struggling in Louisville with a 6.33 ERA this season. He has only 7 Ks in 21.2 innings...

Certainly not a lot of direct impact. Remember that part of the indirect effect of trading Kearns was to make room for young outfielders like Jay Bruce, and then a Rule 5 pickup named Hamilton, who was traded for Edinson Volquez. Letting Harris go for nothing was likely a bigger mistake than anything else here.
    Last edited by mbgrayson; 05-14-2009 at 01:20 PM.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

60-day DL for Bray is going to open a spot on the 40-man roster, which is desperately needed.

Agree with those saying this could be good for down the road -- Bray needs a rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    60-day DL for Bray is going to open a spot on the 40-man roster, which is desperately needed.

Agree with those saying this could be good for down the road -- Bray needs a rebuild.
    Bray will turn 26 in early June, so he still has time to come back from the surgery and give the Reds some value. What's the timetable for TJ surgery these days?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Wow! I was really hoping to see him back in the Queen City this year. Hopefully Kremchik stays sober the night before...

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Bray will turn 26 in early June, so he still has time to come back from the surgery and give the Reds some value. What's the timetable for TJ surgery these days?

Not sure, but it's typically faster for relievers isn't it?
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by rotnoid View Post
    Not sure, but it's typically faster for relievers isn't it?
    I would think that he might be ready for spring training. Definitely by next may/june.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I'm not a doctor nor have I played one on TV nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn last night....

But why the heck did it take the Reds medical staff so long to figure this out? The guy hasn't been right since they got him.
    That's been one of the biggest mysteries to me. It's not just Bray either.
    From Jr's hamstrings to Kearns' "blister", the Reds seem very poor at catching injuries early. The attitude seems to "let the guy play until he really hurts himself badly".
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I guess you guys know when Bray got hurt and when his need for surgery arose. And when it was diagnosed. I don't.

What a trade! Alot of potential that really has amounted to nothing for both sides. I say the Reds won because they ultimately saved money droping Lopez and Kearns. We still have a shot to get something with Ramirez, but really it was a salary swap. The ol addition by subtraction trade!

Turn Off Ads?