Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contract year players we could be buyers for around trade deadline?

Contract year players we could be buyers for around trade deadline?

Anyone have any ideas? I'd love to be a BUYER for a change and find someone who would give us another big bat anywhere in the lineup. I wouldn't even mind giving up Encarnacion or something for a guy that could possibly get us over the hump if we were in contention.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Contract year players we could be buyers for around trade deadline?

Matt Holliday

Holiday only signed a one year deal with the A's?

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Holiday didn't sign any deal with the A's. Had 1 year left on his deal with the Rockies.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Oh, my bad. I forgot he was traded. It would be nice, but I don't think the A's will be out of contention in that division to trade him. Coolguy PM'ed me a nice site with a list of players here:

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/200...ee-agents.html

I don't know much in the way of possible option OF'ers, especially since I haven't kept up with how most of the guys are going this year.

This post is waaaaaaaay to early as sweeping the 'Backs doesn't really impress me too much. That club is horrible right now. But I'll play.

The only OF'ers on that list that I would like that we could probaby get are Holliday, Dye, and Nady.

Other than that, most of those other guys aren't leaving or will be waaaaaay to expensive. . . .and Holliday may fall in that category.

A wild card is Aubrey Huff. He's the type of guy Jocketty could get at the trade deadline to play LF for relatively cheap, comparatively speaking.
    Last edited by DTCromer; 05-14-2009 at 01:09 AM.

I know it's probably unrealistic, but i'd love to see them pursue Hanley Ramirez from Florida, ya never know with the Marlins, players that seem untouchable sometimes get traded. If not him, I think Holliday is probably the best fit for this team. However, with Boras as his agent, I wouldn't bankrupt my farm system for a 2 month rental player, without a long term deal in place before the trade.

Resident PED Expert

I know they probaly will go in house with a combination of players next year in LF but Jason Bay could crush in LF next year. Granted he probaly will re up with Boston before the season is over, but doesnt he have a pretty good carrer avg in GABP? Would you give up Yonder for him in the offseason? Boston has the need...

Boston has no need for a 1st baseman (Youkilis) and the Reds arent going to trade Yonder. Plus Bay is just the type of guy Boston will keep around for a long time. The Reds do have a plethura of B talent in double and triple A that could be moved though. I really dont think we'll know who may be up for grabs until the season unfolds quite a bit more.

As far as the names that were mentioned the most realistic one sounds to me like Nady. The Yanks need pitching and we have a boatload in triple A that are very good. They have Swisher there is really no need for Nady to be on that team when a young pitcher can be had.

I would give up Yonder if they could sign Bay to contract extistion

Dude Rock

If this team keeps playing this way, I don't see the Reds going after anyone, unless they come cheap.

Holliday won't be cheap. He's owned by Billy Beane, and Beane traded for him hoping to make a big haul for him at this year's trading deadline. He could have miscalculated a bit though because of the economy and changing philosophy of most clubs now valuing their prospects more, and not wanting to take on alot of payroll. Holiday is probably a Boras client and will want a ton of money and a long term contract. I see the Reds avoiding Holiday because they can't sign him, nor will they want to go long term like they did Griffey and others. Jocketty is looking for guys who will do 2 year deals or who he can take on for one year and see how they do (Ramon Hernandez).

Plus, the farm system is still producing. Chris Heisey is doing very well at double A and should be promoted immediately. Frazier is doing alright but isn't showing the power he has in previous seasons. Drew Stubbs is having a nice season (.330) at triple A, but still no signs of power. Soto and Alonso are looking good in high A ball and should get promoted sometime this season. Matt Maloney (LHer) went 7 innings and K'd 10 in his last outing, lowering his e.r.a. to 2.89.

Sure these guys could be trade bait, but this organization has stated they don't want the one year wonder team..........they want to build a team that contends every year.

I could still see Arroyo dealt if the opportunity arises, just to unload some contract. Maloney is pitching well. Homer is up and down (gave up 4 runs, 2 HR's in 6 IP last night). Ramon Ramirez struggled early on but is starting to pitch well again. This club might have triple A options to replace Arroyo if need be.

Jermaine Dye

If we're in contention there is no way Walt trades Bronson. If anything they pick up an RBI bat, but there's no way they're going to trade one of the pitchers that got them in contention in the first place, mark my words aint gonna happen!

Just looked up Nady's stats he's only played in 7 games so far and is rotting away on the yanks bench. I think he could be had at a low trade price. If the Yankess Of'ers stay healthy and we're still in the thick of things I'd like to see us go after Nady. The Reds wouldn't have to give up much for a guy sitting on their bench and Nady absolutely crushed at GABP. He'd be the prefect fit for LF. He has an above average arm and plays above average defense and brings 20 hr 300 ba potential.

This sounds like the best move to me without trading away the great prospects we have and moving a few of the b and c prospects who are many in the Reds farm system.
    Last edited by Jones1; 05-14-2009 at 11:45 AM.

I know that the conventional wisdom is that the Reds should look to add an OF but I'd be really interested in acquiring Adrian Beltre. He'd be a huge upgrade over Encarnacion or Rosales defensively and moving from Safeco to GABP should cause a decent bump in his power production.

Turn Off Ads?