Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 Scoreboard Watching

2009 Scoreboard Watching

Hopefully this is a thread that remains relevant throughout the season, but the Reds' performance will dictate that.

Anyway, this isn't meant to be a game thread, and I'm sure the admins/mods do not want this to evolve into a game thread so please refrain from doing that. This is mostly meant to be a running thread to post periodic game and score updates in the National League that could have an impact on the Reds' hunt for the playoffs (specifically NL Central foes we're battling it out with, and then perhaps some other NL foes in a wildcard battle).

Mods, if this thread is a bad idea and/or it evolves into something it should not evolve into, please go ahead and lock it up.

The Brewers are underway this afternoon against the Marlins with no score in the bottom of the first inning. Florida has Josh Johnson on the mound against Dave Bush for Milwaukee.

The Cubs host the Padres this afternoon at 2:20pm eastern time. San Diego sends Chad Gaudin to the mound to take on Ryan Dempster.

St. Louis plays at Pittsburgh at 7pm eastern time tonight. The Cardinals are sending Mitchell Boggs out to face Jeff Karstens.
    Last edited by Cyclone792; 05-14-2009 at 01:26 PM.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2009 Scoreboard Watching

The Brewers just took a 4-3 lead in the bottom of the 5th inning on a Prince Fielder solo home run. Florida had a chance to score a 4th run in the top of the 5th inning, but Bonifacio was thrown out at the plate attempting to score from first to end the inning.

The Cubs and Padres are scoreless in the top of the 2nd inning.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Good idea Cyclone. I was trying to start doing that in last nights game thread. I'll try to continue to do so, but with my 3 daughters running around...it gets tough.

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

Brewers take it 5-3.

Scrubs and Pads tied 1-1 in the fifth.

That was a very short 1st place stint.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    That was a very short 1st place stint.
    Maybe this thread is a jinx?
    /r/reds

Worth The Wait

Good thread idea....as Reds fans, we should "scoreboard watch" as often as we can-- haven't had that opportunity much in recent years, so I'm going to take advantage even if we're still two weeks away from Memorial Day.

The only team in the 4-team scrum right now that really "scares" me is Chicago. I think that if we play moderately well that we'll be able to keep pace with the Brewers and Cards, but I could see the Cubs getting really hot over the summer and getting some distance even if the Reds continue to play solid ball. But then again, I'd be just as happy with the wild card, so I'll be keeping an eye on the second place team(s) in the East and West as well.

But for right now, my focus is soley on the Central. Houston and Pittsburgh are not relevant. They could play spoiler, but they do not factor in the equation.

Milwaukee is playing very well right now, but I think their record is more "fluky" than ours at this point-- how long will that rotation hold up? The Cards are tough as always, but not scary, IMO-- I don't see them as a potential 90+ win team.

We're hot right now, and the best thing we can hope for is to stay hot for at least another couple of weeks-- set ourselves up so that we can afford a bit of a dip.

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    Good thread idea....as Reds fans, we should "scoreboard watch" as often as we can-- haven't had that opportunity much in recent years, so I'm going to take advantage even if we're still two weeks away from Memorial Day.

The only team in the 4-team scrum right now that really "scares" me is Chicago. I think that if we play moderately well that we'll be able to keep pace with the Brewers and Cards, but I could see the Cubs getting really hot over the summer and getting some distance even if the Reds continue to play solid ball. But then again, I'd be just as happy with the wild card, so I'll be keeping an eye on the second place team(s) in the East and West as well.

But for right now, my focus is soley on the Central. Houston and Pittsburgh are not relevant. They could play spoiler, but they do not factor in the equation.

Milwaukee is playing very well right now, but I think their record is more "fluky" than ours at this point-- how long will that rotation hold up? The Cards are tough as always, but not scary, IMO-- I don't see them as a potential 90+ win team.

We're hot right now, and the best thing we can hope for is to stay hot for at least another couple of weeks-- set ourselves up so that we can afford a bit of a dip.
    The Cubs are really banged up right now, and aging a little quickly. I would not be surprised if they tanked this summer actually. There is very little excitement around the Cubs in my area this year. Of the 4 games I've been to, only 1 has sold out, and that's saying something around here. If their injuries linger, they are in some serious trouble. Theriot and Fukudome have played way above their natural ability, and will eventually regress to their norms. They would be flirting with .500 if it weren't for those two IMO. Plus Soriano will always get hurt, just a matter of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post

It'll be tough to win 90 in this division. Everybody's beating up on everybody. MIL is an interesting team. Everybody predicted gloom and doom for them since they lost C.C. and Sheets but they didn't have C.C. till midway through the season and Sheets was on the DL as much as he was on the active roster. Plus they didn't have Gallardo from April on. With their hitting, if they can get decent pitching, they will be tough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Time is the Revelator.

The Cardinals are a similar team of years past. Tough, not scary, but tough.

The only difference is that we are MUCH better, and I no longer fear playing them, like I use to.

So I see this idea got off to a phenomenal start with all three teams we want to see lose all picking up wins.

Nevertheless, the Cubs host the Astros today with a start time of 2:20pm eastern time. Brian Moehler (oh joy) takes on Randy Wells.

The Cardinals and Brewers are playing each other in St. Louis with an 8pm gametime. Starting pitchers are Lohse and Gallardo.

I'm going to walk over and catch the end of the Cubs game after work today. Although I probably shouldn't. Every time I go (when they aren't playing the Reds) they've won.

I can see it now.

Reds stay in the hunt all year so the amount of Baseball I need to watch will triple, thusly ruining any chance I have of keeping up with my social life.

Being a Baseball fan is hard work sometimes.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Bummer, only afternoon game today is washed out. Astros @ Cubbies PPD Opportunity missed to listen to Ron Santo whine.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Bummer, only afternoon game today is washed out. Astros @ Cubbies PPD Opportunity missed to listen to Ron Santo whine.

You might want to listen to someone rake their nails against a chalkboard. It's more enjoyable than listening to him.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?