Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You have one move

You have one move

to improve the Reds. One trade, one roster substitution, one promotion, etc.
    It has to carry the team for the rest of the year, and make sense for the bigger picture. What do you do?
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: You have one move

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    It has to carry the team for the rest of the year, and make sense for the bigger picture. What do you do?
    Does it have to be realistic because I'm thinkin' Hanley Ramirez would look good in a Reds uniform....

Cincinnati fantasy circa 2010:
    Bruce RF
    Votto LF
    Alonso 1b
    Ramirez SS
    Last edited by jojo; 05-14-2009 at 07:10 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

This is a tough one. If in July Matt Holliday is back to his old self and putting up numbers do you offer Homer Bailey along with a package of maybe Heisley or Wood or something along those lines and make a run at it? I don't think I would. But the Reds need a middle of the order hitter that can strike fear in the opponet. Jermaine Dye would be great, but I'm not sure I'd want to give up Bailey for a 34 year old outfielder. But if the Reds are in it, I don't know if I would blame them to much. The pitching the Reds have is legit and I think the Reds as a team might be legit, but they need to get a bat for left field. I'll leave that up to Jocketty to figure out. As for right now, my one move would be McDonald down and Gomes up.

I'd make an offer for J.J. Hardy.

Not sure who I'd give for him, though, but there's my shortstop and power bat all rolled into one.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Time is the Revelator.

Matt Holliday! Matt Holliday! Matt Hollliday!

If I had 1 move than I would make damn sure that I get it right so here goes:

White Sox Trade-Carlos Quentin(LF)-he would give us the RH pop we need in the middle of the lineup, he's 27 and would give us a nice outfield.

Reds Trade- Edwin Encarnacion, Homer Bailey and Chris Dickerson

The White Sox get a young 3rd baseman with pop and get a guy that can start for them over Richard in the 5th spot, while getting a #4 outfielder in Dickerson.

The Reds fill their LF gap, and can platoon Rosales/Hairston at 3rd base, thus improving the defense!

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post

Not sure who I'd give for him, though, but there's my shortstop and power bat all rolled into one.
    I like your thinking and it's at least semi-realistic. SS is the biggest question mark both short and long-term for this team, and Hardy would solve it.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post

How close is Alcides Escobar? Would the Brewers trade in the division?

Hmm, good one. I really hate to steal someone else's idea so I won't but that Cleveland trade someone came up with about a week or so ago was pretty sound. Let me see if I can pulll one off.

A 3 way deal with S.D. and Anaheim.

Anaheim gets Jake Peavy & Danny Richar

S.D. gets Brandon Wood, Jordan Walden, Juan Francisco, Matt Maloney & Sean Watson

Reds get Macier Izturis and Scott Hairston

To make room for Izturis and Hairston, Janish goes to AAA and McDonald get's cut/DFA to AA (moving Heisey to AAA) for the time being. Anaheim deals from surplus and gets a much needed big time arm. S.D. gets several quality prospects that match some needs which helps them in the short term (Wood and Maloney) and long term with the other prospects. We get a better platoon partner for Nix and a good MI who can be a solid #1 or #2 hole hitter if and when Gonzo goes down still allowing for Hairston jr. to be a good bench player and Izturis becomes our future starter at SS at a fair price until we can develop an actual SS. Also gives us 1 available spot on the 40 man, allows Frazier to move back to 3rd base, frees up a roster spot in AA for Alonso and a spot for Valiquette or any of a number of worthy arms to move. Gives us some room to add a few high quality prospects in about a month. It's a win all around!

It may not be enough to get us over the hump for us this year but I think it can help us get into playoffs and without any substantial cost either in money or prospects. It doesn't do anything negative but does continue to improve our defense, offense, speed, power, bench etc. Certainly we could find Magglio in the trash heap in a month or so and go that route as well but short of that this is the most efficient way to go.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 05-14-2009 at 08:17 PM. Reason: add a thought
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

The Brewers, Cubs and Cards are NOT going to trade a player to the Reds when were all battling against each other for the same thing. They're just not.

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    The Brewers, Cubs and Cards are NOT going to trade a player to the Reds when were all battling against each other for the same thing. They're just not.
    It wouldn't happen until the deadline. Who knows how it's going to shake out until.

Somebody will be out of it. My money's on the Brewers.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

I'm going realistic and should be a no-brainer.

Gomes up, McDonald down
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Call me crazy, which many will, and I still go back and offer Homer Bailey and another minor leaguer for Jermaine Dye. I might also offer Edwin for Matt Holliday. There comes a time when potential will never evolve into performance. That time is now.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Based on this portion of the criteria, I'd be reluctant to deal Bailey or Alonso, so the player acquired would probably be some one who could be had for a package headlined by Maloney, Stubbs and maybe another arm or two. If the team could get a rental of Holiday for that, then by all means, but a guy like Willingham is probably more likely. Dye may be possible for say Stubbs/Maloney. Not sure I'm as high on Dye as many others on here. I like the JJ Hardy idea, but don't see it happening in season.

I'll go with Maloney and Manual for Willingham.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Ryan Zimmerman at 3B.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?