Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Carpet shampooers

Carpet shampooers

This place is some kind of resource!

I may be shampooing some carpets. There is a company here that does it with a per room charge. there are also the rental units at Menard's/Home Depot?Lowes. There is also my mother-in-laws unit that was bought probably at some store ending in mart. That one would be free, except for probably having to do the mother-in-laws carpet too. Which of these options have you guys tried? The pro, the rental, or my mother-inlaw? Well, you don't really know my maw-in-law, but you know what I mean. Are the rentals good?
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Carpet shampooers

We've tried them all at some point or another. If one can afford it, having a professional do it gives one the best results IMO. But we bought a Hoover Wind Tunnel carpet cleaner (approx $300) to keep at the house that does a pretty solid job.

Just stay away from Sunshine Carpet Cleaning....

Mr. Wilhelm: I'm here to clean the carpets. Most of the world is carpeted. And one day, we will do the cleaning.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

The wife and I are thinking about this too. I'm probably going to rent a "Rug Doctor" from Kroger. For $35, we can keep it 24 hours and I figure I can't screw it up _too_ badly. The carpet cleaner companies around here want $99 to do two rooms although they will move the furniture around which is really the biggest part of the job.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Retired

Rug Doctor works pretty good.

Using a rental unit means that someone else's dirty carpet germs will now be coming into your own house. Same can be said if having a professional come in. Do you really think they clean those things? NO THANKS!

Personally, I would just go out and buy a carpet cleaner. By just using it a few times, it will have paid for itself.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

We've had great results renting from Home Depot. We've done it at three residences and it makes the carpet look great. Very cheap and quick.

Using a rental unit means that someone else's dirty carpet germs will now be coming into your own house

We bought a Bissel carpet cleaner from Target years ago, maybe $200-300 or so. I was thoroughly impressed. Carpets looked professionally cleaned.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    Using a rental unit means that someone else's dirty carpet germs will now be coming into your own house. Same can be said if having a professional come in. Do you really think they clean those things? NO THANKS!

Personally, I would just go out and buy a carpet cleaner. By just using it a few times, it will have paid for itself.
    I'm not convinced. Bring yours over and let's see how well it works!

"Bring on Rod Stupid!"

All dyslexics must untie!

Find someone like my wife who has a Kirby with a shampooer attachment, they'll do a professional job with dry foam and scotch-guard and charge you $100-200 (depending on rooms/square footage, etc)

If you're in the Portland area we could fix you up, otherwise I'd check craigslist
    Never overlook the obvious

My dad owns a business that rents shampooers. Traditionally, we have always gotten good results at the house by doing it ourselves. It's not a very hard process, though I'd imagine it would be better if a professional did it. If you can rent one for around $30, I would do it. Just make sure to follow the directions exactly.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Turn Off Ads?