Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Clinton here for Civil Rights game

Clinton here for Civil Rights game

Former President Bill Clinton will return to Cincinnati June 20 for baseball's annual Civil Rights game.
    Advertisement

Major League Baseball announced that Clinton will give the keynote speech at the Beacon Awards Luncheon, to be held at the Duke Energy Center on Saturday, June 20.

During that lunch, Muhammad Ali, Hank Aaron and Bill Cosby will be honored. After the lunch, the Reds play the Chicago White Sox.

This will be the first regular season Civil Rights Game after two pre-season Major League exhibitions in Memphis, Tenn.., Major League Baseball said in a releases.

The Gillette Civil Rights Game were developed "to pay tribute to all of those who fought on and off the field for equal rights for all Americans," MLB said in its release

CNN's Soledad O'Brien will serve as Mistress of Ceremonies for the event.

Proceeds from the Luncheon will benefit the MLB Urban Youth Foundation, the Cincinnati Reds Community Fund and the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center.

For more information or to purchase tickets to the MLB Beacon Awards Luncheon and the Gillette Civil Rights Game, please visit www.MLB.com/civilrightsgame.

MLB explained their pick of President Clinton this way: "President Clinton has always been uniquely attuned to civil rights, having been focused on building community and creating opportunity in America and throughout the world. After leaving the White House, President Clinton established the William J. Clinton Foundation with the mission to strengthen the capacity of people in the United States and throughout the world to meet the challenges of global interdependence. On April 15, 1997, President Clinton joined Commissioner Allan H. (Bud) Selig and Rachel Robinson at Shea Stadium in New York, as Major League Baseball honored Jackie Robinson and permanently retired his uniform Number 42.

"Bill Clinton's long record of promoting civil rights makes him the perfect keynote speaker to honor such a distinguished group," said Selig. "Our award recipients this year are remarkably accomplished and it is a great honor for Major League Baseball to recognize their achievements, which have helped change this country for the better."

"I'm proud to join Major League Baseball to honor my friends Muhammad Ali, Hank Aaron, and Bill Cosby, American legends whose lives have inspired millions throughout the world and who have helped make America the multiracial and multiethnic place it is today," President Clinton said. "Their contributions to our shared mission of forming a 'more perfect union' has been truly historic."

In addition to the Gillette Civil Rights Game on June 20, there will be a series of weekend events commemorating this special occasion. On Friday afternoon, there will be a roundtable discussion at the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center, which will be moderated by Harvard Law Professor Charles Ogletree. On Saturday afternoon, following the MLB Beacon Awards Luncheon, there will be a youth summit at Cincinnati's Fountain Square.
    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...il+Rights+game

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Clinton here for Civil Rights game

Guess this means Obama snubbed us.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Quote Originally Posted by PedroBourbon View Post
    They said on the news Obama was still undecided, I'm not sure if that means he's really undecided, or that he's just thinking up an excuse, lol.

Just what we need.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroBourbon View Post
    Do you really want him there?.....Do you remember the opening day when Bush threw out the first pitch as the President. Security and entrance to the ballpark were a nightmare, not to mention feeling like you were watching a game from Alcatraz when you looked out and saw coast guard boats with enormous guns on the front.
    WE DON'T, WE DON'T, WE DON'T MESS AROUND HEY!

don't think this affects obama. he wouldn't come in for luncheon anyways.

Wouldn't it be much cooler to have, I don't know, James Earl Jones? Having a politician at the stadium these days are way too polarizing.
    That Joey Votto is some kind of Man Candy!

"For them to boo me like that, it lets me know they dream about me at night. -- Brandon Phillips on Cards fans.

throws 106. NBD.

Quote Originally Posted by fugowitribe View Post
    Do you really want him there?.....Do you remember the opening day when Bush threw out the first pitch as the President. Security and entrance to the ballpark were a nightmare, not to mention feeling like you were watching a game from Alcatraz when you looked out and saw coast guard boats with enormous guns on the front.
    I agree with this. I mean, I think it would be cool for him to be here and I don't even agree with his politics but I wouldn't want to have to deal with the security to get in for the game.

Also, my bachelor party is that night and we are going to the game. I have a feeling I wouldn't be able to sneak in any outside booze with the heightened security.

Turn Off Ads?