Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Wouldn't it be great if...

  1. #1
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,667

    Wouldn't it be great if...

    Thinking of things that will seemingly never change, but who knows:

    • "Official at-bats" will be any time you stroll to the plate with a bat in your hand. "Batting average" is the number of times you got on base each time you stroll to the plate, which also becomes the determiner for "leading the league in hitting." Let BA go the way of the GWRBI. Let it never be said again that "Freddy Sanchez once led the league in hitting."
    • Pitchers were no longer awarded W's and L's, removing the temptation of announcers and fans to pay any attention at all to this meaningless stat. Then, someone can look at Brandon Wood's numbers and say something other than "he's pitched a lot better than a 1-3 record" or "Arroyo's won five games, more than any other Reds pitcher."
    • A meaningful, "quiet" stat was readily available for relievers to see how they are doing or have done.

    I'm sure I have lots more, but your turn.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member Superdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,793

    Re: Wouldn't it be great if...

    announcers using stupid sample sizes. The fact that Jason Larue is 4-6 off of Carlos Zambrano does not mean he "has his number".

  4. #3
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: Wouldn't it be great if...

    Announcers would quit bringing up Player X's statisitcs vs. any club in general to show that he has said clubs number. NO Lance Berkman doesn't see Red when he plays against us he has just had the advantage of being a very good player who happens to play in the Reds division and the Reds pitching has stunk in his time in Houston. It doesn't necessarily predict present or future performance.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  5. #4
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Guelph, ON
    Posts
    16,029

    Re: Wouldn't it be great if...

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Thinking of things that will seemingly never change, but who knows:

    • "Official at-bats" will be any time you stroll to the plate with a bat in your hand. "Batting average" is the number of times you got on base each time you stroll to the plate, which also becomes the determiner for "leading the league in hitting." Let BA go the way of the GWRBI. Let it never be said again that "Freddy Sanchez once led the league in hitting."
    • Pitchers were no longer awarded W's and L's, removing the temptation of announcers and fans to pay any attention at all to this meaningless stat. Then, someone can look at Brandon Wood's numbers and say something other than "he's pitched a lot better than a 1-3 record" or "Arroyo's won five games, more than any other Reds pitcher."
    • A meaningful, "quiet" stat was readily available for relievers to see how they are doing or have done.

    I'm sure I have lots more, but your turn.
    Amen, particularly to the first one. I understand the need to removing walks and sacrifices from plate appearances for some analytical purposes. But when I consider a guy's offensive performance, I want to know how many times he came up bat and go from there.

    As for announcers, I just wish they could differentiate between a record of past performance and the presence of a given skill which drives that performance. This goes to "clutch", to performance against a given player or team, etc.

    In fact, that might just be my biggest pet peeve -- describing teams' past performance against each other. The Reds were 4-8 against so-and-so last year therefore.... The Reds of 2009 are not the Reds of 2008. Period. It simply does not matter. What a team has historically done against another team has no bearing on how this iteration of the team will perform against this iteration of that team. Stop pretending like it does.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 05-15-2009 at 07:10 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  6. #5
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,952

    Re: Wouldn't it be great if...

    It would be great if Steve Phillips had to wear a clown suit and makeup while one camera.

    (ok, thats mean... but still.)
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  7. #6
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,667

    Re: Wouldn't it be great if...

    ...baseball rescinded the blackout rules so that I could watch the Reds anywhere and anyway I choose

  8. #7
    Member Topcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,934

    Re: Wouldn't it be great if...

    The game has to be simplified for the casual fan. Remove that element and there would be no MLB. That is a hard fact of baseball, trying to turn it into an elitist math wonder fan game would absolutely kill it attendance wise.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

    Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

  9. #8
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,672

    Re: Wouldn't it be great if...

    Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    announcers using stupid sample sizes. The fact that Jason Larue is 4-6 off of Carlos Zambrano does not mean he "has his number".
    Unless your last name is Hall. :
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  10. #9
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,667

    Re: Wouldn't it be great if...

    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    The game has to be simplified for the casual fan. Remove that element and there would be no MLB. That is a hard fact of baseball, trying to turn it into an elitist math wonder fan game would absolutely kill it attendance wise.
    So, dividing total times reaching base by total times to the plate is "elitist math?" Silly me, I thought that was simplifying things to about a 3rd grade level. Here I am, being an elitist with my complicated formula for measuring a hitter's ability to get on base.

  11. #10
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,187

    Re: Wouldn't it be great if...

    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    The game has to be simplified for the casual fan. Remove that element and there would be no MLB. That is a hard fact of baseball, trying to turn it into an elitist math wonder fan game would absolutely kill it attendance wise.
    why would the "casual fan" care one way or the other? Dude takes his family to one game a year isn't going to care if OPS is shown up on the screen.

    The clubs, radio, newspapers should be educating fans.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  12. #11
    Member tripleaaaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Fort Thomas, KY
    Posts
    583

    Re: Wouldn't it be great if...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Announcers would quit bringing up Player X's statisitcs vs. any club in general to show that he has said clubs number. NO Lance Berkman doesn't see Red when he plays against us he has just had the advantage of being a very good player who happens to play in the Reds division and the Reds pitching has stunk in his time in Houston. It doesn't necessarily predict present or future performance.
    I disagree, somewhat. Berkman amongst many others notoriously hit the Reds very well, and continue to do so. It has to do with confidence, if I think that I thrive against the Reds pitching in general, than I probably will (I think, therefore I am). However, I do agree that it is difficult to predict future success unless the pitching staff remains a constant (which is pretty much unfeasible).
    ___________________
    Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls. More democratic. ~Bull Durham

    MLB Mock Draft
    2009:
    2. Dustin Ackley 27. Tyler Skaggs 33. Kyle Heckathorn 51. Nick Franklin 82. Billy Bullock

  13. #12
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,667

    Re: Wouldn't it be great if...

    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    why would the "casual fan" care one way or the other? Dude takes his family to one game a year isn't going to care if OPS is shown up on the screen.

    The clubs, radio, newspapers should be educating fans.
    And when Jr. asks him "dad, what is OPS" dad might just be motivated to find out so he can answer his kid.

  14. #13
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,667

    Re: Wouldn't it be great if...

    Quote Originally Posted by tripleaaaron View Post
    I disagree, somewhat. Berkman amongst many others notoriously hit the Reds very well, and continue to do so. It has to do with confidence, if I think that I thrive against the Reds pitching in general, than I probably will (I think, therefore I am). However, I do agree that it is difficult to predict future success unless the pitching staff remains a constant (which is pretty much unfeasible).
    because he played in an era of inordinately bad pitching from the Reds. There is a litany of "Reds killers" in the majors these days for that very reason.

  15. #14
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,667

    Re: Wouldn't it be great if...

    So, who should get the title of "batting title" or "led the league in hitting"? Is it OPS, Runs Created, or something else?

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Lubbock, Texas
    Posts
    1,362

    Re: Wouldn't it be great if...

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    So, who should get the title of "batting title" or "led the league in hitting"? Is it OPS, Runs Created, or something else?
    I do know that you can't base it on OBP alone. Kearns and Taveras have virtually the same OBP but Kearns has a 25 point edge in SLG and thus OPS. Now say that Kearns OBP is a point higher than Taveras. The problem is Kearns is hitting safely only a little less than 22% of the time while Taveras hits safely a little more than 31% of the time. How can Kearns win a batting title when he's not putting the bat on the ball?


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25