Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kyle Lotzkar has another setback

Kyle Lotzkar has another setback

Reds farm director Terry Reynolds, who has watched the last four games, said the Reds will likely have to wait until the June draft to see if they can secure any other players who will help.

One player who will not be here soon — if at all — is top pitching prospect Kyle Lotzkar, who broke a bone in his pitching elbow here last summer, and has not yet recovered. In fact, he has had a setback, and may even have rebroken the bone.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayto...ed-121971.html

Terrible news. Sadly, it's looking like that injury will prevent him from ever reaching his sky high potential.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Kyle Lotzkar has another setback

Complete bummer.

Wow, not good. He's still young enough to have a chance though.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Terrible news. Sadly, it's looking like that injury will prevent him from ever reaching his sky high potential.
    Hyperbole. Cut teenagers a break, won't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    Hyperbole. Cut teenagers a break, won't you?
    How is that hyperbole? Cut teenagers a break, what are you talking about? This same exact injury ruined the pitching career of Adam Loewen. It's a very serious injury. Thankfully Lotzkar is young and can hopefully overcome this, but the odds are against it. A broken elbow is a horrible injury for a pitcher.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 05-16-2009 at 12:57 PM.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    How is that hyperbole? Cut teenagers a break, what are you talking about? This same exact injury ruined the pitching career of Adam Loewen. It's a very serious injury. Thankfully Lotzkar is young and can hopefully overcome this, but the odds are against it. A broken elbow is a horrible injury for a pitcher.

It's hyperbole because you don't know anything else beyond what anyone else does, yet you're using phrases like "It's looking like that will keep him from ever reaching his potential" and "the odds are against it".

I don't disagree it's a serious injury, although it did seem very much like it was downplayed (by the club as well as folks here) during last season as nothing major because it wasn't a labrum or a Tommy John.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

His delivery makes my shoulder hurt even.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Good grief, 1st Buck and now this. I guess we were bound to have some bad luck in this area we were doing pretty well the past few years. I just hope for their sake they can get it back together.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    It's hyperbole because you don't know anything else beyond what anyone else does, yet you're using phrases like "It's looking like that will keep him from ever reaching his potential" and "the odds are against it".

I don't disagree it's a serious injury, although it did seem very much like it was downplayed (by the club as well as folks here) during last season as nothing major because it wasn't a labrum or a Tommy John.
    Of course I don't know anything more than what anyone else does, but I do know that breaking his pitching elbow twice is very serious. As was the case with Loewen, that type of injury can ruin a career. But that won't keep me from hoping and praying that Lotzkar can bounce back. I sure hope he does because the kid has a ton of talent. I'm hoping that Katz reported it wrong and it's just a minor setback and not a broken elbow.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 05-16-2009 at 03:55 PM.

I guess we were bound to have some bad luck in this area we were doing pretty well the past few years.
    Agreed. It happens.

I'm curious to hear more about Buck's shoulder -- could have been anything from minor tendinitis to a torn labrum.

Yikes, that hurts.

Other than Bailey, the Reds have no top starting pitching talent in the system. Zach Stewart, JC Sulbaran, and Travis Wood would be the guys to watch, but none of them project to top-of-the-rotation guys. If Grant Green is off the board next month, I'd like to see the Reds get a top tier pitcher like Gibson or Matzek.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Yikes, that hurts.

Other than Bailey, the Reds have no top starting pitching talent in the system. Zach Stewart, JC Sulbaran, and Travis Wood would be the guys to watch, but none of them project to top-of-the-rotation guys. If Grant Green is off the board next month, I'd like to see the Reds get a top tier pitcher like Gibson or Matzek.
    Judging from what I've seen of Sulbaran, I see no reason why he can't be a top-of-rotation caliber starter someday.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Yikes, that hurts.

I don't think Gibson has top of the rotation stuff, he is more likely a very safe (in terms of the draft) #2/3. Still, I would argue Sulbaran, who possesses two potentail plus offspeed pitches and a fastball in the low 90's and has a similar upside to that of a Gibson.

It's still early, but not a lot of good things happening on the farm so far this season

If Grant Green is off the board next month, I'd like to see the Reds get a top tier pitcher like Gibson or Matzek.
    Bunch of pitchers there -- I think you'll get your wish.

Turn Off Ads?