Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Matt Maloney has pitched better than Homer has in Louisville this year

Re: Matt Maloney has pitched better than Homer has in Louisville this year

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    Herrera 2008 xFIP: 3.08
    Herrera 2009 xFIP: 3.77

You think Dusty's picking spots for Herrera? He's one of the lower relievers in Dusty's mind, he just sends him out there when he needs a low-leverage inning taken care of. I doubt his three inning stint last week when Arroyo got rocked was specially chosen as a spot where Herrera could succeed. I'm not concerned about his WHIP when he has faced 63 hitters this season and only two of them managed an extra base hit. You watch the games, how often does a guy hit the ball hard off of Herrera? Most hits against him are bloop singles. Hitters have a .676 OPS against him. He's been great.
    If we don't have a sample large enough for his WHIP then why do we have a large enough sample for xFIP or OPS? And yeah, I do think in his short career, for the most part, his spots have been picked for him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If we don't have a sample large enough for his WHIP then why do we have a large enough sample for xFIP or OPS? And yeah, I do think in his short career, for the most part, his spots have been picked for him.
    Small sample is a legit claim, I was disagreeing with your assertion that he hasn't been that good during that small sample. What I'm saying is that even when you take into account his high WHIP, he's still been very good.

The "spots being picked for him" argument is a disappointing one because you can use it to downplay any success the guy has. His first MLB appearance was with the bases loaded against the eventual champs. He pitched three innings in a game last week. He's used as a back of the bullpen disposable arm, not some commodity to be protected. He's in the same role a thousand unproven bullpen arms have been before him - go out there and pitch when we don't want to use our top guys.

Back to my original point, Maloney isn't Herrera and DRH's success doesn't guarantee anything for Maloney. But if Herrera keeps it up, I wonder if the continued success of another "low stuff" guy will cause some to think twice on Maloney.

Arroyo couldn't break glass with his fastball and he does alright.

I think that's probably what Maloney is. A left handed Bronson Arroyo.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I think at the very least...the Reds should be trying to move Maloney while he has value. His value is probably at an all time high right now. There are definitely teams that could and would insert him into their rotation right now.
    I love this idea, he does have high value, and I think that he could be a major leaguer for another team. Not us, not now. He will be apart of a mid season trade to get us another piece. remember, we are not a finished product yet. When we don't make a move in the rotation, don't be upset. If we move up Homer again, it devalues Maloney, if we move Maloney up, it devalues him. Lets keep that aspect of this team the same. There is no need to worry about the starting rotation.

Just pray hard that the "Harang curse" from last year against San Diego doesn't happen again.
    Last edited by ian_madden; 05-18-2009 at 01:07 AM.

smitty

Maloney has a bigger variety of pitches he can throw and thats what is making him into a better pitcher... his sinker has good late movement to get batters to strike out... I like Maloney better than Bailey but that just my opinion

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

I think that DRH has done great for us this year. I would like to see him more in pressure situations. His stuff is like nothing that many major leaguers have seen in years. But I also think that he needs to be used when his stuff is moving. If he is warming up, and its not moving, how hard is it for him to "rewarm up". He throws in the lower 80s.

Also, You can't compare DRH to Maloney, Maloney is a starter. He will see the lineup several times before he is done for the day. If DRH can get people out with 2 of his pitches for a week, then use 1 of his other crazy pitches to get some others out for the next week, WOW!

DRH does so good because its so hard to put a swing on a ball going so slow and breaking. Hes a case where slow actually is a very good thing.

Maloney should be on the Reds and should have been since, at least, last season. He deserves a shot. Homer needs to stay in Louisville until September.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Saw where Dusty mentioned needing a left hander to face the Phillies. Maloney could be called up to replace Masset against them.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    Arroyo couldn't break glass with his fastball and he does alright.

I think that's probably what Maloney is. A left handed Bronson Arroyo.
    I've made that comp before and I think it really fits. Arroyo from 06-08 had 7.0 K/9, 2.7 BB/9, with some flyball tendencies. That's about where I'd expect Maloney to be once he gets his footing in the bigs. Another possible similarity is that Arroyo didn't find his way full-time into an MLB rotation until he was 27 (though he had some on and off work earlier in his career).

Maloney is on the 40 man, Id bring him up

Local guy making his MLB debut in cincy. Could set up for a disaster or a very fun night to watch.

Dude Rock

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    DRH does so good because its so hard to put a swing on a ball going so slow and breaking. Hes a case where slow actually is a very good thing.
    I'm with you. I love this guy. So many people are in love with the 95mph fastball. I like watching guys like Herrera actually pitch with offspeed and junk pitches. Plus the dude is only 5'6"......Fred Normanesque! Gotta love it.

I've been on the Maloney bandwagon for awhile too. Maybe because I just get annoyed at all the Bailey bandwagoners wanting to promote Homer even though his numbers are mediocre/average or worse in triple A. I will never understand that. Plus, Homer has like a plus 6.00 e.r.a. in 16 starts or more in the majors. Maloney is another guy that doesn't throw hard, but knows how to pitch. It worked for Greg Maddux and a whole host of other pitchers.

Maloney pitches like a power pitcher though.

Maloney's doing what he needs to do to merit a shot at the next level. He's a FB pitcher, so he needs to limit the BBs in order to avoid the dread three-run HR. From what I gather, he's also mixing his pitches well.

Bailey's got the same problem he's had for years. He's hard to hit when he's wild, but he loses movement when he tries to place the ball the strikezone. He hasn't figured out how to retain movement and hit the zone. That might be lack of physical maturity or 10-cent head syndrome or both. Right now he's an unremarkable pitcher in AAA. Normally a 23-year-old kid in those circumstances wouldn't be an issue. The problem with the Reds and Bailey is the club can't give him until he's 25 to work it out in the minors (as perhaps Maloney is doing) and then promote him.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Bailey's got the same problem he's had for years. He's hard to hit when he's wild, but he loses movement when he tries to place the ball the strikezone. He hasn't figured out how to retain movement and hit the zone.
    IMO, that is a poor description of how Homer is pitching. Here are his last 4 starts, pitches thrown - strikes:

Apr 26 - 118-79 67%
    May 2 - 106-78 74%
    May 8 - 114-75 66%
    May 13 - 86-58 67%

To me, Homer appears to have two problems.
    1. He starts games with no idea which of his pitches are working for him and it takes a while to figure it out.
    2. Lefthanded batters are killing him

This season:
    LHB - .369
    RHB - .167

There have been times where he dominated LHB and I don't know why. It could be that he needs a certain pitch working to get LHB out and if he doesn't have it, he gets creamed.

Turn Off Ads?