Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Matt Maloney has pitched better than Homer has in Louisville this year

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Re: Matt Maloney has pitched better than Homer has in Louisville this year

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    San Diego and Oakland would be excellent places for him. They are pitcher's parks and the teams are rebuilding.
    So, are they just going to let him pitch at home?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    So, are they just going to let him pitch at home?
    No, but say Oakland gets him.... he also gets to pitch in Seattle and Anaheim a lot. Of course he has to go to Texas, but I think that still gives an advantage.

I don't even know how to ask the question I want to ask but I'll give it a shot. Does Maloney have the capability to become a good ML pitcher for the Reds?

I don't even know if that was the question. Maybe it's more, what would it take for him to get over the hump and pitch in the bigs?
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

I think he does. He would have growing pains but he could be successful. There are plenty of MLB pitchers that don't have overpowering fastballs. Most of those guys don't have the control with the curve that Maloney has. He just needs a catcher that would call a good game for him.

Dude Rock

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    I think he does. He would have growing pains but he could be successful. There are plenty of MLB pitchers that don't have overpowering fastballs. Most of those guys don't have the control with the curve that Maloney has. He just needs a catcher that would call a good game for him.
    Bronson Arroyo. :

Matt Maloney: Like Roemer, Matt Maloney is having success in 2009 despite non-sexy numbers. The 25-year-old southpaw has now spent parts of three seasons in triple-A but has yet to receive a call-up to the Majors because of the Redsí pitching depth. This season, Maloney has walked just seven batters in more than 50 innings of work and heís struck out 41 (7.19 K/9) so he deserves a look in the near future. With a repertoire that includes a fastball that works in the high 80s (and tops out around 91-92), as well as a plus changeup and two average breaking balls, Maloney has more than enough to survive as a solid No. 4 starter in the National League.

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/ind...impacts-may-28
    I miss Adam Dunn.

I saw that changeup the other day in his start and it did look good for sure. I think he really does have a good shot at being a solid pitcher in the majors. 4.50 ERA and not kill you with short outings.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    No, but say Oakland gets him.... he also gets to pitch in Seattle and Anaheim a lot. Of course he has to go to Texas, but I think that still gives an advantage.
    What I was getting at is that recommending that a pitcher might fit in a "pitcher's park" applies to anyone. Why would a team with a pitcher's park look to Matt Maloney as a fit because he needs a pitcher's park to be effective when they would have 5 Matt Maloney's already in their system? It is the same flawed logic behind all the recommendations to trade Eric Milton to any team with a pitcher's park. I hope GMs do not think like that.

What I was getting at is that recommending that a pitcher might fit in a "pitcher's park" applies to anyone. Why would a team with a pitcher's park look to Matt Maloney as a fit because he needs a pitcher's park to be effective when they would have 5 Matt Maloney's already in their system? It is the same flawed logic behind all the recommendations to trade Eric Milton to any team with a pitcher's park. I hope GMs do not think like that.
    Well they should. Eric Milton would do significantly better in a division like the AL West where 3 out of the 4 parks surpress HR's, than in a division or even a home park that allows them at a much higher rate. Eric Milton allowing 40 HR in the NL Central may only be Eric Milton allowing 30-35 HR in the AL West. Thats a significant difference (probably to the tune of 8-12 ER). That difference is the same as a 4.50 ERA to a 4.10 or 3.90 ERA over 180 innings pitched.

Well they should. Eric Milton would do significantly better in a division like the AL West where 3 out of the 4 parks surpress HR's, than in a division or even a home park that allows them at a much higher rate. Eric Milton allowing 40 HR in the NL Central may only be Eric Milton allowing 30-35 HR in the AL West. Thats a significant difference (probably to the tune of 8-12 ER). That difference is the same as a 4.50 ERA to a 4.10 or 3.90 ERA over 180 innings pitched.
    The point is that a pitcher's park makes everyone's numbers better, so why promote sending below average pitchers to pitcher's parks, since their park adjusted numbers will still be worse because they are not a good pitcher? In other words, if Milton's numbers were better in a pitcher's park, so would be a better pitcher's. In other words, the park doesn't make anyone a better pitcher, it merely makes their numbers deceptive for analysis.

The point is that a pitcher's park makes everyone's numbers better, so why promote sending below average pitchers to pitcher's parks, since their park adjusted numbers will still be worse because they are not a good pitcher? In other words, if Milton's numbers were better in a pitcher's park, so would be a better pitcher's. In other words, the park doesn't make anyone a better pitcher, it merely makes their numbers deceptive for analysis.
    Well the point is more so that certain parks allow flyball pitchers to perform better. Maloney isn't nearly as bad as Milton is, but he is a flyball guy whose stuff doesn't project to be swing and miss type stuff. That means lots of fly balls. That type of pitcher is going to play better in certain parks than others. Pitchers parks are one thing, but some parks favor flyball pitchers more than others.

Parks can make guys better or worse, but guys who get more grounders are likely to be more successful than guys who get more flyballs given same rates in walks and strikeouts.

I grant that every team prefers ground ball pitchers and power arms. Every team would like to have hitters with sufficient power to clear the bases in any park. The number of such players are limited, however, especially to small market teams. Most ML players have a wart or two. Lets try it this way.

Team A plays in a hitter's park and has a pitcher that gives up a relatively high number of fly ball HR's.

Team B plays in a large park and has a hitter who records a relatively high number of long outs.

Would it not be in the best interests of both teams to exchange players? Wouldn't each player have more value playing half of his games in the other team's park?

Well the point is more so that certain parks allow flyball pitchers to perform better. Maloney isn't nearly as bad as Milton is, but he is a flyball guy whose stuff doesn't project to be swing and miss type stuff. That means lots of fly balls. That type of pitcher is going to play better in certain parks than others. Pitchers parks are one thing, but some parks favor flyball pitchers more than others.

Parks can make guys better or worse, but guys who get more grounders are likely to be more successful than guys who get more flyballs given same rates in walks and strikeouts.
    That sounds like something Dan O'Brien would try to sell for an acquisition.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Because not everyone can go out and acquire said good pitcher's? That would be my 1st thought. If you can get similiar production out of a lesser arm then ultimately it makes sense to give up less to get said similiar production.

It's the same reason it would make sense for the Reds to pay less for lesser power because you don't need say Dunns raw power to hit 40 HR's (or in the neighborhood) in GABP or the NL Central Parks IMO.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 05-28-2009 at 06:32 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Because not everyone can go out and acquire said good pitcher's? That would be my 1st thought. If you can get similiar production out of a lesser arm then ultimately it makes sense to give up less to get said similiar production.

It's the same reason it would make sense for the Reds to pay less for lesser power because you don't need say Dunns raw power to hit 40 HR's (or in the neighborhood) in GABP or the NL Central Parks IMO.
    Which is why it makes even less sense to go outside the organization for the Matt Maloney's of the world when you probably have half a dozen similar pitchers in your own organization. I really don't see a dominant ballpark style throughout the major leagues (like the astroturf era) that warrants constructing teams/rosters with these kind of minor factors in mind. I think it is mostly just trying to find any justification for the value of a marginal player.

Turn Off Ads?