Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Umpire...

Umpire...

This umpire is absolutely RIDICULOUS!! I've never seen anything like it with his strikezone. I swear he should be fired after this game, it's unbelievable.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Umpire...

Absolutely, his strike zone has been changing the whole night. Thom was correct in his little rant on TV about how 95% of umpires are doing their jobs right, but this is awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Jobinson View Post
    Absolutely, his strike zone has been changing the whole night. Thom was correct in his little rant on TV about how 95% of umpires are doing their jobs right, but this is awful.
    Both teams have to deal with him, so its not like theres any real injustice. Both teams have to go up to the plate guessing where the strike zone will be. Unless you want to go to Questec.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

i made a note of it in the game thread. didnt it look like the ump was trying to start something with weathers? thats just totally unprofessional, as an ump you know you could get barked at by players/coaches...stop staring down and saying words to players

Quote Originally Posted by FlyerFanatic View Post
    i made a note of it in the game thread. didnt it look like the ump was trying to start something with weathers? thats just totally unprofessional, as an ump you know you could get barked at by players/coaches...stop staring down and saying words to players
    Yeah, he definitely was, Weathers was a lot calmer than I could've been at that point.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

The most disappointing thing to me (beyond his inconsistency all night) was the fact that everything became a strike late extra innings. He goes from squeezing the hell out of people for nine innings to trying to get his butt home when the game goes 5+ hours.

Just a poor job back there.

I haven't seen a game called like that from behind home plate in quite a few years.

Both TV and Radio announcers said he was louder than usual. Which anyone with ears knew already.
    Tiny strike zone...then erratic strike zone, then big strike zone.
    Then his walk down the base line toward Weathers...(challenging him?)
    Plus the stupid fu-man-chu that a certain personality type always seems to "sport."

I agree. If I was Weathers I would have been thrown out of that game, not taken out.

Plus, some people's logic here is hilarious. "Its ok that he called a terrible game, because, y'know, he called a terrible game for both sides..."

What?

Quote Originally Posted by Fon Duc Tow View Post
    I haven't seen a game called like that from behind home plate in quite a few years.

Both TV and Radio announcers said he was louder than usual. Which anyone with ears knew already.
    Tiny strike zone...then erratic strike zone, then big strike zone.
    Then his walk down the base line toward Weathers...(challenging him?)
    Plus the stupid fu-man-chu that a certain personality type always seems to "sport."

I agree. If I was Weathers I would have been thrown out of that game, not taken out.

Plus, some people's logic here is hilarious. "Its ok that he called a terrible game, because, y'know, he called a terrible game for both sides..."

What?
    Not saying Its okay that he called a terrible game both ways. Just that it was the same for both teams.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Jim Joyce cost us a very valuable win on the west coast. I wouldn't give the bum a mop job.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Not saying Its okay that he called a terrible game both ways. Just that it was the same for both teams.
    Couldn't anyone be a major league umpire if this was the qualification?
    Not to mention, it wasn't even at all in my opinion, and i'm not one to cry about calls or blame games on officials, he was garbage, and screwed the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyerFanatic View Post
    I was at the game last night, Weathers starred him down as he walked off the field, mumbled a few things too. I noticed at the game his strike zone was different from inning to inning. I was behing Home Plate, about 13 rows up, not far at all.

I think MLB has cameras as each game to judge umpires calls of the strike zone. Hopefully, this will make the commishes office.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Watched the 2012 Clincher on FOX.
    Proud owner of a 1990 Dodge Class B Motorhome: A chick magnet!
    GO STEELERS
    www.tracyjonesonline.com
    Great YOUTUBE videos.

Weathers was robbed last night, simple as that. Weathers kept his cool way longer than I would have. And the ump taking his mask off and yelling at him? Extremely unprofessional.

Can people not get over this? He wasn't spot on by any means but it was what it was. Both teams had to deal with the uncertainty, and the Reds have had a fair share of calls go their way this season.

As far as Weathers goes he let the ump get to him. I think most umps call his 4th ball a strike, but that pitch wasn't over the plate. It was a ball by a hair that Weathers wanted and didn't get, maybe if he wouldn't have stared the ump down before we would've save ourselves a lot of time last night. Or maybe if he wasn't all over the place to begin with he would've been given the benefit of the doubt.

Why isn't anyone outraged over the 3rd strike by DRH that got us out of that inning and was clearly a ball? Good umping or bad umping wouldn't change the fact that the Reds stunk up the joint in the first two games of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Hands22 View Post
    Can people not get over this? He wasn't spot on by any means but it was what it was. Both teams had to deal with the uncertainty, and the Reds have had a fair share of calls go their way this season.

As far as Weathers goes he let the ump get to him. I think most umps call his 4th ball a strike, but that pitch wasn't over the plate. It was a ball by a hair that Weathers wanted and didn't get, maybe if he wouldn't have stared the ump down before we would've save ourselves a lot of time last night. Or maybe if he wasn't all over the place to begin with he would've been given the benefit of the doubt.

Why isn't anyone outraged over the 3rd strike by DRH that got us out of that inning and was clearly a ball? Good umping or bad umping wouldn't change the fact that the Reds stunk up the joint in the first two games of the series.

Just a thought, but we may have trouble letting it go because it cost us the game. Weathers did a great job of pitching out of trouble, got an infield fly ball to get the 2nd out with a man on 3rd, and proceeded to strike the next guy out twice. The umping was horrible, and that's why i'm still not over it, but i'll let everyone else speak for themselves.

Turn Off Ads?