Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Props to Owings...

Props to Owings...

Just wanted to say he deserves some MAJOR credit! showed a lot of guts tonight, and is clearly running on fumes the last inning or two. Wonder if they'll bring someone up to take his spot in the rotation for his next start? Bailey for Massett maybe?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Props to Owings...

He pitched great, but it feels like nothing but a kick in the nads to see him come away with the loss. He literally lost his velocity and control TWO innings before the game ended and gritted out. While the golden goose Mr Cordero is sitting over there with his $12 mil paycheck not doing jack crap.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    Just wanted to say he deserves some MAJOR credit! showed a lot of guts tonight, and is clearly running on fumes the last inning or two. Wonder if they'll bring someone up to take his spot in the rotation for his next start? Bailey for Massett maybe?
    I've read a few times that he was not going to pitch until Thursday anyhow. If that's the case, he'll get almost a normal amount of rest and should be fine. Certainly he better not pitch a day before that.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by LouisvilleCARDS View Post
    He pitched great, but it feels like nothing but a kick in the nads to see him come away with the loss. He literally lost his velocity and control TWO innings before the game ended and gritted out. While the golden goose Mr Cordero is sitting over there with his $12 mil paycheck not doing jack crap.
    Not sure what anyone could have wanted.

Say you bring Cordero in for the 15th. After 2-3 innings, then what?

Sooner or later, Baker was going to be forced to bring in Cordero. However, the way the rotation is working out, this was like Owings pitching on 3 days rest and then will pitch on Thursday (4 days). Cordero cannot pitch more than a couple of innings. So the folks screaming that Owings should have been removed - I just don't see a real good solution.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Not sure what anyone could have wanted.

Say you bring Cordero in for the 15th. After 2-3 innings, then what?

Sooner or later, Baker was going to be forced to bring in Cordero. However, the way the rotation is working out, this was like Owings pitching on 3 days rest and then will pitch on Thursday (4 days). Cordero cannot pitch more than a couple of innings. So the folks screaming that Owings should have been removed - I just don't see a real good solution.
    If you can't win in 2 or 3 innings then you're not going to win period most likely. You either bring in Arroyo or Cueto and try to win it, or get Janish to pitch and concede it. But you don't leave a guy out there to hang when his stuff was not good. Cordero should have been in after seeing how things transpired the previous inning. He obviously lost his velocity and it was only a matter of time until someone got a hold of one. Leaving him in there just made that whole effort in vain. We're paying a guy $12 mil to do jack crap in a 16 inning game?

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Great effort by 33. It's a crying shame he was put in that position, but San Diego seems to have that effect on this club.

This has been a recurring problem early in the season. Is it time to start thinking about carrying another pitcher, or does that stretch the bench too thing? (Probably so IMO.) Is it just up to Dusty to manage his pen better?

The more I see of this guy the more I like him. He is quickley becoming one of my favorite players.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

He gutted it out sure, but I knew the game was over when he started tossing batting practice for the last 3 innings he was in. He is a guy who already gives up a ton of bombs. Just wish Dusty would have pulled him after the 14th when it was clear he was out of gas and topping out at 87/88MPH
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I agree about his effort last night. I can only imagine what its like to pitch 5+ innings on basically no notice. And to pitch as well as he did, with as little in the tank as he did, is a real testament to his athleticism and competitiveness. Hes a great guy to have around for a lot of reasons.

Nice job by Owings. He will miss a start but we will have a great pinch hitter ready to go. Let's take this game today and "get out of Dodge" with a 4-2 road trip.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    He gutted it out sure, but I knew the game was over when he started tossing batting practice for the last 3 innings he was in. He is a guy who already gives up a ton of bombs. Just wish Dusty would have pulled him after the 14th when it was clear he was out of gas and topping out at 87/88MPH
    I just wish we would have scored a run between the 6th and 16th innings. There comes a point when the blame has to be pointed at the hitters and only the hitters.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xavr1 View Post
    I just wish we would have scored a run between the 6th and 16th innings. There comes a point when the blame has to be pointed at the hitters and only the hitters.
    absolutely. jay bruce has basically done nothing at the plate all year, and I don't care about the 11 home runs. The big hits haven't been there. It has been painful to watch him at the plate.

Phillips is free from blame lately but only lately. Everyone else in the lineup did nothing last night, save nix
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by xavr1 View Post
    I wish the bullpen wouldn't have blown it. Owings shouldn't have even been in that situation, but he did a phenomenal job. The offense blew it in those late innings too. Thom made a great point about the at-bats in the later innings and how only Nix actually worked a count to 3 balls. That loss really did hurt, and watching him after he crossed the plate, I wanted to punch Nick Hundley square in the face. Where Owings looked like he lost game 7 in the World Series (as someone said before), Hundley acted like he hit the game 7 winner. It was a little much.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    absolutely. jay bruce has basically done nothing at the plate all year, and I don't care about the 11 home runs. The big hits haven't been there. It has been painful to watch him at the plate.

Phillips is free from blame lately but only lately. Everyone else in the lineup did nothing last night, save nix
    Dude, Bruce is doing Awesome considering he has ZERO protection in the Line Up... He gets nothing to hit, so basically he may get 1 or 2 pitches Hit every AB...

This team Needs a CLEAN UP Hitter...

What doesn't the guy do?

Start, relieve, long-relief, pinch-hit homers...he could probably manage, too.

Turn Off Ads?