Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds in "Marathon" Games: Serious Question

Worth The Wait

Reds in "Marathon" Games: Serious Question

Not trying to be a smart-aleck here, just curious if anyone knows how to find this answer:

I would love to know what the Reds record (we'll say over the past 10 years or so) in games that either

A) Went 13 innings or later
    B) Lasted 4 hours or more (without weather delays)

My hunch is that the record is absolutely awful. It seems we lose every single time I "commit" to watching them deep into the night. Yuck.

If anyone knows how to find this info without checking each individual box score, I'd love to know. Thanks.

This year, just from memory, I can think of three games, all losses:

Deep into extra's against the Marlins and Padres and the 4.5 hour loss to St. Louis in the last homestand.
    Last edited by Edskin; 05-17-2009 at 08:39 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds in "Marathon" Games: Serious Question

I know there is no tieing in baseball, but I'm starting to wonder what is proven in any game going past 12 innings. The bullpens are overextended, benches are emptied, and the fans and players are tired and bored. Of course, last night we can thank James Joyce for not knowing how to call a front door fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    Not trying to be a smart-aleck here, just curious if anyone knows how to find this answer:

I would love to know what the Reds record (we'll say over the past 10 years or so) in games that either

A) Went 13 innings or later
    B) Lasted 4 hours or more (without weather delays)
    Have at it and let us know what ya find.

http://www.retrosheet.org/

Worth The Wait

WOY-- Exactly what I needed...I'll get to it later. Thanks!

Worth The Wait

My "feeling" was more or less completely off.

(I did this fairly quickly, so it might not be 100% accurate. But here is what I found):

The Reds are 33-22 since 2000 in games that went 12 innings or longer OR took 3:45 or more to complete. Our record in games that took 3:30 was not good at all, but I think 3:45 was a bit more of a "marathon" so I arbitrarily chose that as the cut-off.

From my calculations, we are 0-3 in those types of games this year.

I think it's the old "losses hurts worse than winning feels good" thing. It's funny, going back, I can vividly remember the majority of the 22 losses (especially the ones in the first half of the season), but the 33 wins are more vague.

Interestingly enough, we have had several of those games out in SD and we've done quite poorly in those contests, but overall, my theory just got totally hammered

Thanks again to WOY-- I love doing these random baseball research projects, and I'm not sure how I've missed that site over the year.s

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    My "feeling" was more or less completely off.

(I did this fairly quickly, so it might not be 100% accurate. But here is what I found):

The Reds are 33-22 since 2000 in games that went 12 innings or longer OR took 3:45 or more to complete. Our record in games that took 3:30 was not good at all, but I think 3:45 was a bit more of a "marathon" so I arbitrarily chose that as the cut-off.

From my calculations, we are 0-3 in those types of games this year.

I think it's the old "losses hurts worse than winning feels good" thing. It's funny, going back, I can vividly remember the majority of the 22 losses (especially the ones in the first half of the season), but the 33 wins are more vague.

Interestingly enough, we have had several of those games out in SD and we've done quite poorly in those contests, but overall, my theory just got totally hammered

Thanks again to WOY-- I love doing these random baseball research projects, and I'm not sure how I've missed that site over the year.s

Now, Ed, you next assingment, if you chose to accept it, is to find out how other teams do in these games using the same criteria you used for the Reds. I think maybe, 5-6 teams chosen at random would probably give you a basis of comparison. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Now, Ed, you next assingment, if you chose to accept it, is to find out how other teams do in these games using the same criteria you used for the Reds. I think maybe, 5-6 teams chosen at random would probably give you a basis of comparison. Good luck.
    I'd be curious to know from the Reds record how many were home games and how many were away. The visiting team is always up against the wall in extra inning games, IIRC.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I'd be curious to know from the Reds record how many were home games and how many were away. The visiting team is always up against the wall in extra inning games, IIRC.

There you go. Maybe see if there's a difference in night games.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Haunted by walks

It seems like you have to have a good bullpen and not much offense to even participate in ultra-long games. Everything else seems kind of random. Who's available to pitch, who's still on the bench, manager's decisions during regulation. And for the visiting team, extra innings is a one-sided sudden death situation.

Worth The Wait

I'd be interested in the stats you all have mentioned as well, but I'm too lazy to go back at this point Plus, I have decided to try and research another random theory that flies around RZ that I'm currently working on....

Turn Off Ads?