Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IF Votto goes on DL. . .

IF Votto goes on DL. . .

. . and that's a big if, where do the Reds go? Rosales and Hernandez have proven they can both play 1st base so they do have some options. Barker? Dorn? They could also call up the likes of Gomes and move Hairston to 3rd base if Rosales plays 1st. No hitter, except Stubbs, has played well enough to grant them an opportunity to be called up.

What would they do IF this happens?
    Last edited by DTCromer; 05-17-2009 at 03:49 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: IF Votto goes on DL. . .

Rosales at 1B, Hairston at 3B and bring someone up to play some outfield, Gomes perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Rosales at 1B, Hairston at 3B and bring someone up to play some outfield, Gomes perhaps.
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Hopefully we don't have to come to that.

Yonder is ready .

EDIT: In all seriousness though, would Yonder be an option that would be considered if Votto got on the DL?
    Last edited by NorrisHopper30; 05-17-2009 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    EDIT: In all seriousness though, would Yonder be an option that would be considered if Votto got on the DL?
    No. Alonso should be called up to Carolina, not Cincinnati.

(What should happen)
    McDonald DFA, Gomes promoted.
    Votto to DL, Sutton promoted.

Play Rosales at 1B, Sutton at 3B. When Hanigan catches, Hernandez at 1B and Rosales at 3B.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    Yonder is ready .

He is on the 40 man, I say to heck with it bring him up. What's the worst that can happen? He sticks and Votto has to play LF when he returns?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    He is on the 40 man, I say to heck with it bring him up. What's the worst that can happen?
    Please see Bailey, Homer
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Please see Bailey, Homer
    The difference is Bailey wasn't anywhere close to being ready either stuff or makeup wise. I have no concerns that Alonso could both hold his own (offensively at least) well enough to not be a complete disaster and it wouldn't hurt his confidence in the least. Probably just make him work that much harder to get here. I don't think it is a fair comparison at all.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Yonder could probably translate decently to the show. I would expect him to be better than McDonald haha

The difference is Bailey wasn't anywhere close to being ready either stuff or makeup wise. I have no concerns that Alonso could both hold his own (offensively at least) well enough to not be a complete disaster and it wouldn't hurt his confidence in the least. Probably just make him work that much harder to get here. I don't think it is a fair comparison at all.
    Bailey had sustained success at the AAA level. Alonso has never even seen AA. The odds are extremely against making the jump from A-ball to the bigs. Why risk tainting your top prospect for a week in the bigs? I see no winning scenario out of this:

1) He stinks and loses confidence, a la Bailey- possibly setting him back and even reducing his potential trade value.
    2) He does reasonably well, but gets sent back to AA upon Votto's return, possibly alienating Alonso.
    3) He does well, and you alienate Votto by moving him to LF in the middle of a season where he is unquestionably your best player.

Which one of these three options are you gunning for?
    Go BLUE!!!

He is on the 40 man, I say to heck with it bring him up. What's the worst that can happen? He sticks and Votto has to play LF when he returns?
    Votto will not play LF.

Quote Originally Posted by cbowen2112 View Post
    Votto will not play LF.
    History says differently.... because he has.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    History says differently.... because he has.
    Sorry...Votto will not play LF this year in the MLB.

Plus Alonso will not be here anytime soon. No reason to put our best 1b in unfamiliar territory. Yes, he has played there(LF) but not frequently. He may get some games there at some point, I don't think he wants to and I don't think they should force that move.

Quote Originally Posted by cbowen2112 View Post
    Plus Alonso will not be here anytime soon. No reason to put our best 1b in unfamiliar territory. Yes, he has played there(LF) but not frequently. He may get some games there at some point, I don't think he wants to and I don't think they should force that move.
    He doesn't want to, but I would certainly start talking to him about it. The Reds need a bat like Alonso's in the lineup and Alonso can't play anywhere but first base. Votto has the ability to move there.

Turn Off Ads?