Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Team needs a small shakeup!

Team needs a small shakeup!

after watching the Reds throw 3 games to the Last Place Padres!!, they need a shakeup.. get Gomes up here ( if Joey cant go for a few days, he has power) and Release McDonald, Put Massett on the DL and get Viola up here and it sucks that since Gonzo came back they have dropped 3 straight.. i still dont feel Gonzo is the same player they thought they were signing.. he isnt a threat any longer in my eyes.. time to move on from him as well if he keeps struggling..

Also if they can get Peevey before the Cubs or Cardinals do that would be a huge uplift too..

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Team needs a small shakeup!

Three losses by a total of 5 runs doesn't constitute an emergency, IMO.

Peavy was impressive today, but I don't want to see the Reds mortgage the future to rent him for a year. The Padres have made it clear they won't give him up for spare parts.
    /r/reds

In this series, the Reds had a 3.93 ERA and made zero errors in the field.

Reds scored a total of 9 runs in 34 innings. That's 2.4 runs per nine innings.

Problem was lack of hitting - and some ineffective relief outings in the first two games. The Rhodes/Weathers innings late in the first two games didn't work out.

Reds were due for a clinker on the road. Wasn't their road record 13-5? That was unsustainable.

So now they should pick it up at home. Aren't we all confident that will happen? Aren't we?
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-17-2009 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    In this series, the Reds had a 3.93 ERA and made zero errors in the field.

Reds scored a total of 9 runs in 34 innings. That's 2.4 runs per nine innings.

Problem was lack of hitting - and some ineffective relief outings in the first two games. The Rhodes/Weathers innings late in the first two games didn't work out.

Reds were due for a clinker on the road. Wasn't their road record 13-5? That was unsustainable.
    I agree the offense wasn't up to par, but we all knew coming in this was gonna be the case more often than not.

So now they should pick it up at home. Aren't we all confident that will happen? Aren't we?
    Riiight, we will be highly fortunate not to be swept again and fall to .500 on the season. Philly will smoke us.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

We were in every game. Not shake up needed. We don't really even have Votto. I think this team has really been awesome just not hitting or enough lately. They faced some decent pitching. It is funny though every time I get a great feeling about the team they have a rough patch. It's like I can't even brag about 1st place for more than like 10 hours. LOL

Today was the first time ever that I didn't watch the game or even follow the score. I'm just so frustrated and so sick and tired of losing every year. The Reds FO obviously doesn't care. They continue running guys out there who have no business being on a major league roster and they are constantly playing a man or two short because they refuse to use the DL.

The Reds fooled me again. I actually thought this year was going to be different but it appears I was wrong. Again. How do you play so well for a month and a half and then get swept by the worst team in baseball? It's obvious this team isn't as good as I thought. Or maybe I just set myself up for failure by expecting this team to contend.

I've been a Reds fan since I was old enough to know what baseball was and the Reds have had only one good season in that timespan. And they didn't even make the playoffs that season. I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever seen this team make the playoffs.

I'll always love this team but its so frustrating being a Reds fan sometimes. They'll give me a heart attack before I'm 30.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 05-17-2009 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    after watching the Reds throw 3 games to the Last Place Padres!!, they need a shakeup.. get Gomes up here ( if Joey cant go for a few days, he has power) and Release McDonald, Put Massett on the DL and get Viola up here and it sucks that since Gonzo came back they have dropped 3 straight.. i still dont feel Gonzo is the same player they thought they were signing.. he isnt a threat any longer in my eyes.. time to move on from him as well if he keeps struggling..

Also if they can get Peevey before the Cubs or Cardinals do that would be a huge uplift too..
    I heard Jeff Brantley in the second inning say this team needs a shakeup and wondered how many fans would repeat that statement.

I agree with putting Massett on the DL and sending McDonald down, I'd bring Viola and Gomes up to replace them.

I'd hardly call those moves a shakeup though.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Today was the first time ever that I didn't watch the game or even follow the score. I'm just so frustrated and so sick and tired of losing every year. The Reds FO obviously doesn't care. They continue running guys out there who have no business being on a major league roster and they are constantly playing a man or two short because they refuse to use the DL.

The Reds fooled me again. I actually thought this year was going to be different but it appears I was wrong. Again. How do you play so well for a month and a half and then get swept by the worst team in baseball? It's obvious this team isn't as good as I thought. I've been a Reds fan since I was old enough to know what baseball was and the Reds have had only one good season in that timespan. And they didn't even make the playoffs that season. I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever seen this team make the playoffs.
    Ahh it ain't that bad OBM. This team should remain competitive all season and if they were wise get a solid RH bat they would have an outside shot at the playoffs. As far as SD goes it's simple lack of power (which is how the Pads are able to survive and exceed a bit at home) and execution. We will go as far as the offense allows us, if they contniue to have poor PA's we can't contend. If you watch closely when we have good PA's and the pitching is on we will often win when we don't stay selective we won't win very often.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Worth The Wait

Disappointing series out in SD, but sweeping Arizona kept it from being a disaster. A 3-3 west coast trip is no big deal, even though losing three to a last place team is frustrating.

The sweep in SD does put a bit of pressure on them to have a good series against the Phillies though-- the rotation will be tested for sure.

OK, after I got all that out of my system, I'm predicting a 7-2 homestand.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 05-17-2009 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    OK, now that I got all that negativity out of my system, I'm predicting a 6-3 or 7-2 homestand.
    That's the spirit, hopefully you can keep that optimism until Friday because I envision the next 3 looking worse than the last 3.

I'll be in attendance on that Friday game, Section 113 row M seat 5 (just beyond the 3rd base bag). Last year I attended the Reds/Indians where Dunn hit the walk-off (I think it was the Saturday game).

--Woody Hayes

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Replacing Darnell McDonald with Jonny Gomes would be a nice little start. Also some more starts for Paul Janish at short; Alex Gonzalez has been coddled enough in his comeback and at some point he needs to be reminded that it's time to perform or lose some PT.

Baseball is a funny game. I remember back in April when the Reds started out 0-2 and people weren't necessarily panicking but you could feel that many folks were right on the brink. Then at the beginning of May the Reds as a team got hot and everyone got excited and people really began to think, Maybe. So they lost three games in a row to the lowly Padres. In 162 game schedule, something like that is bound to happen a couple times. The Reds put themselves in a position where a sweep against San Diego wasn't a killer because they had won so many games in the previous two weeks. Being a die hard baseball fan is frustrating. Every team will blow late leads, give up a couple walkoffs, and get outplayed a few times against inferior competition. Thats the nature of the beast. So now the Reds return home, still smack dab in the middle of the Central Division and Wild Card races against a pitching staff that even the Reds bats should be able to score 5-6 runs a game against. I'll take Cueto, Harang, and Owings or whoever may start game three against Philly. Good pitching beats good hitting 66.8 percent of the time. I'll take two outta three. The Reds are fine and in a good position right now. Let's get Philly!

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Ahh it ain't that bad OBM. This team should remain competitive all season and if they were wise get a solid RH bat they would have an outside shot at the playoffs. As far as SD goes it's simple lack of power (which is how the Pads are able to survive and exceed a bit at home) and execution. We will go as far as the offense allows us, if they contniue to have poor PA's we can't contend. If you watch closely when we have good PA's and the pitching is on we will often win when we don't stay selective we won't win very often.
    I have to agree with this. I have to say that the "woe is me" attitude pervasive at times on this board this season is really growing old. We wring our hands every time we hit any little bump. It's a long haul and this team is capable of good things. I can't say, as OBM does, that this front office doesn't care. Things can't get done with just the snap of fingers or with a magic wand. Let the season play out. I won't suggest this team will make the playoffs, but it is generally better than any we've seen in a while. Try to enjoy it kids. It won't be perfect, but we can see some fun baseball.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Being in Petco Park this weekend made the disappointment palpable. Arroyo made a valiant effort to spare the pen and keep the Reds in the game, but the offense went all too quietly. They lacked the confidence that they had shown before today.

I still believe that the pitching will keep the Reds in the race. The left side of the diamond will keep them from excelling. Dusty is giving Gonzo every opportunity to return to 2007 levels, but then again, what choice does he have? Third base remains a problem offensively now as well as defensively. Nix may be a partial answer to LF, but not against LHP. IMO the best move they could make would be to replace McDonald with Gomes and platoon him with Nix. Then, hope that EE returns to form following rehab in mid June. Until then, Gonzalez, Hairston, Janish, and Rosales ---- mix and match at SS and 3B. I like Hairston in the 2 slot in the order.

As for pitching, Masset to the DL, Lincoln DFA, and call up Fisher and Viola. Fisher has got to be on this staff.

Turn Off Ads?