Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: James Harrison refuses to go to the White House

James Harrison refuses to go to the White House

Apparently he's offended that he wouldn't have been invited if the Steelers weren't Super Bowl Champs.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl,163886

Mr. Harrison isn't going to Washington; Steeler spurns Obama

By Chris Chase

On Thursday, President Obama will welcome the Pittsburgh Steelers to the White House to honor the team for its recent Super Bowl victory. But, just like in 2006 when the Steelers had a post-title meeting with George W. Bush, defensive MVP (and Super Bowl hero) James Harrison won't be in attendance. But he has a good reason:

"This is how I feel -- if you want to see the Pittsburgh Steelers, invite us when we don't win the Super Bowl. As far as I'm concerned, he [Obama] would've invited Arizona if they had won."

Usually, when a sentence begins with "as far as I'm concerned," it ends with an opinion, not an incontrovertible fact. Harrison's comment is akin to saying, "As far as I'm concerned, George Washington was the first president."

Of course the Cards would have received the White House invite if they had won. Winners get to go meet the president, losers don't. They also get the trophy, the parade and those hats that say "Super Bowl champs". I don't think James Harrison(notes) turned down any of those things, which makes his refusal to go to the White House a tad hypocritical.

When Harrison won the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year award, he didn't decline and say, "As far as he was concerned, they would've given this award to someone else if they had had a better defensive season." And when he scored that touchdown in the Super Bowl after returning an interception 100 yards, I'm pretty sure Harrison didn't tell the ref to take the points of the board because, as far as he was concerned, if Larry Fitzgerald(notes) had caught him, he wouldn't have scored.

As far as I'm concerned, James Harrison is sort of a fool. If he doesn't want to go to the White House, fine. (Although I can't imagine why anybody wouldn't want to meet the President of the United States.) But don't make a lame excuse in an attempt to justify your decision. Leave that for NFL refeeres.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: James Harrison refuses to go to the White House

if he had a decent reason sure but his reasoning is silly.

Wow. That is one of the dumbest things I'v heard in the past 6-10 years. I really don't even know what to say. Is James Harrison so important in society that he should get a seperate, private invite to meet Barack Obama even when his team doesn't win the Super Bowl?

Steroids creating brain damage???

What a moron.

Why is this news and why does anyone care? He's not obligated to attend a photo op for the President regardless of his reason. If he'd just said his kid had a soccer game it wouldn't be reported right now. Who else from that team didn't go? Was Gary Russell there?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Why is this news and why does anyone care? He's not obligated to attend a photo op for the President regardless of his reason. If he'd just said his kid had a soccer game it wouldn't be reported right now. Who else from that team didn't go? Was Gary Russell there?
    As far as I'm concerned, it's only news because of the completely dumb reason for his lack of attendance.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Its nothing more than a dog and pony show which he probably has no tolerance for. I can respect that, he didn't go last time either and no one seemed to care then.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

He didn't say something stupid than either.

As my friend said, "James Harrison doesn't want to meet anyone other than your quarterback. Deal with it."

I think his comment of, "Look if the Cardinals had won, the White House wouldve invited them." Duh James, thats what they do invite the winner.

I agree with Harrison why should only the champions get to meet the President. I say the White House should invite the Detriot Lions and celebrate their "perfect" season. I mean no other team has done this before. Why not? Pittsburgh should stay home and wallow in the pity of their Super Bowl Championship.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Why does the Superbowl champion team get invited to the White House in the first place? Take the time spent and invite a bunch of kids for a punt, pass and kick contest on the White House lawn instead.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Word is, Obama's gonna invite the Bengals over for a pizza party!

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    Its nothing more than a dog and pony show which he probably has no tolerance for. I can respect that, he didn't go last time either and no one seemed to care then.
    Not trying to get political, but there is a major popularity difference between the former and current President. It's just the way it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

pretty good job and not getting political.

Turn Off Ads?