Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Funny Sports names

Re: Funny Sports names

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    Former A's second baseman Shooty Babbit.
    Mookie Wilson and Hubie Brooks made not only a great teammate combination, but a great 1981 Topps rookie card.
    1980s Philly reliever Porfi Altamirano.
    1950s Tiger catcher Pig House.
    1970s Cubs utility guy Pete LaCock (Bob Gibson retired after giving up a homer to the guy).
    Pete LaCock was the son of TV game show host of Hollywood Squares Peter Marshall.

Dick Green was another classic name I thought of. He was the A's 2nd baseman for many years and retired after the 1972 World Series.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

When my wife was in school at Marshall University, they were in the Southern Conference. There was a real good basketball player, shooting guard, for VMI by the name of "Gay Elmore." The fans at Marshall always gave him a rough time. You have to figure the guy really took a lot of crap growing up.

Two others that I always got a chuckle out of were former Redskins linebacker Chris Hanburger and former NBA player "Fat" Lever.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    When my wife was in school at Marshall University, they were in the Southern Conference. There was a real good basketball player, shooting guard, for VMI by the name of "Gay Elmore." The fans at Marshall always gave him a rough time. You have to figure the guy really took a lot of crap growing up.
    I remember Gay Elmore. He's an attorney now and his dad played at West Virginia.

http://wvrecord.com/news/contentview.asp?c=176656
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    It might not be funny, but it's odd: Rogers Hornsby

Why "Rogers" instead of "Roger?" I mean, he probably spent his entire life saying "No, it's RogerSSS."
    According to his Wikipedia entry, it was his mother's maiden name. Fortunately she wasn't named "Dumbrowski" or something.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Watching the NHL game tonight -- Miroslav Satan.

If you have a last name like Satan, you better be a tough SOB -- no matter how you pronounce the name.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Baseballreference.com used to have a great potty mouth page when the user typed in particularly naughty words into the search field, but alas, that feature seems to be replaced by the "file not found" page.
    But on a non-related subject, now that the site has expanded their minor league history big time, type in your own name...might find you've played pro ball (I pitched in the Tigers' system in the late '90s/early '00s).

Ok this name popped into my head while posting in the Minor League forum. Instant classic - Wirfin "for the man" Obispo. That name cracks me up and I have no idea why.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Vitamin Smith.

Dick Shiner.

Both former NFL players.

Ryan The Riot,
    Dick Vermeil. "I'm sorry to have to tell you this but you have Dick Vermeil." - Chick McGee.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Turn Off Ads?