Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We just got swept by the Padres - so time to be Sellers again?

We just got swept by the Padres - so time to be Sellers again?

Every position player not named Joey or Jay pretty much is roster fodder for any other competitive team.

Our pitching is inconsistent and couldn't hold up to those early season stat anomalies - Cordero perfect in saves, in fact as a team no blown saves (first in the MLB to have one this year), Weathers no earned runs allowed, Rhodes ditto, 67 mph screwgies, Arroyo's implosion games, Harang either gets rocked or gets no run support and loses 1-0.

SO, is this "the sky is falling/we suck" week after last week's "we're going to the World Series" week?!?!

My opinion:
    The Dbacks and Padres suck equally as much, and we ended up 3-3. I think that's the most telling stat. We're a .500 team at best this year.
    Walt will wait until the All-Star break and see who is selling IFF we are still hovering around .500 and/or are within 5 games of first place; if we can get a Power LF bat, he'll pull the trigger. If not, he'll be content with shooting for 82-80 so he can have his boss say "The Losing Has Ended!!! Hooray!! I'm Great!!"

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: We just got swept by the Padres - so time to be Sellers again?

The team just played above their heads for a week or two. They are and always have been a .500 or below team.

We had one bad series on a road trip on the west coast in MAY, and your ready to throw in the towel and rebuild. Not only is that a pathetic excuse of fanhood but its also just stupid. Even if we were bad enough to sell off our players, which were not, you would wait til july when teams needs are greater and they are willing to pay more. Plus some players and I know this will be a shock, start off slow. Apparantly its a long season and some guys struggle the first month and then take off for the rest of the year.

Are the reds playoff contenders, maybe not, but then again maybe they are. I dont think anyone was signing up the rockies a few years ago or the rays last as year as contenders in may but they still made it. We have a really good young nucleus we need to be building around so that we can win now. If you want your favorite team to sell off all its good players every year so you can rebuild and then maybe in 20 years have a good team go be a pirates or royals fan.

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    We had one bad series on a road trip on the west coast in MAY, and your ready to throw in the towel and rebuild. Not only is that a pathetic excuse of fanhood but its also just stupid. Even if we were bad enough to sell off our players, which were not, you would wait til july when teams needs are greater and they are willing to pay more. Plus some players and I know this will be a shock, start off slow. Apparantly its a long season and some guys struggle the first month and then take off for the rest of the year.

Are the reds playoff contenders, maybe not, but then again maybe they are. I dont think anyone was signing up the rockies a few years ago or the rays last as year as contenders in may but they still made it. We have a really good young nucleus we need to be building around so that we can win now. If you want your favorite team to sell off all its good players every year so you can rebuild and then maybe in 20 years have a good team go be a pirates or royals fan.

I agree 100%, they lost three in a row, they're 20-17, coming home for 9 games, it could be a lot worse.

I agree with mroby and dunner...20-17 against the phillies (tough series), indians and astros..I like our chances. I love how some of these "fans" are so quick to throw the towel in, sometimes i wonder if they enjoy rooting for a losing team..i say this because we are playing good baseball every night for the most part and they still find things to complain about.

Ask me after this homestand. We can still get things going again. West Coast always screws with us. We got the world champs at home, lets see how we handle them before we start jumping off what MAYBE a perfectly sea worthy vessle.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Dude Rock

Boston Red Sox:
    2nd in AL East
    22-16

April 8 L 2-7
    April 9 L 3-4
    April 10 L 3-6

April 12 L 4-5
    April 13 L 2-8
    April 14 L 5-6

May 13 L 4-8
    May 14 L 4-5
    May 15 L 4-5

New York Yankees:
    3rd in AL East
    21-17

April 24 L 4-5
    April 25 L 11-16
    April 26 L 1-4
    April 27 L 2-4

May 2 L 4-8
    May 3 postponed rain
    May 4 L 4-6
    May 5 L 3-7
    May 6 L 3-4
    May 7 L 6-8

Detroit Tigers:
    1st in AL Central
    20-16

May 12 L 2-6
    May 13 L 10-14
    May 14 L 5-6

Texas:
    1st Place AL West
    23-14

April 10 L
    April 11 L
    April 12 L
    April 13 L
    April 14 L

Phillies:
    1st in NL East

3 game losing streak April 4 thru 7th
    3 game losing streak April 16 thru 18th

NY Mets:
    Tied for 1st in NL East
    21-17

4 game losing streak April 19 thru 23rd

Brewers:
    1st place NL Central
    24-14

4 game losing streak April 11 thru 14th

Cubs:
    2nd in NL Central
    21-15

4 game losing streak April 22 thru 25th

Cardinals:
    3rd in NL Central
    21-17

3 game losing streak May 2 thru 5th
    3 game losing streak May 16 thru 18th

Reds:
    First 3 or more game losing streak of the season - May 15th thru 17th

Geez, you guys are spoiled.

Thank you Dude Rock, i was actually contemplating doing that myself...Im too lazy today though...good stuff man

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    Every position player not named Joey or Jay pretty much is roster fodder for any other competitive team.
    This statement just irks me.

I'm sure PLENTY of teams wouldn't enjoy having a burner of a CF who plays solid D, has immense range and is hitting around .300 in the leadoff spot.

I'm sure teams wouldn't love having a vacuum at second, with incredible range, a cannon, and a former 30/30 guy who's getting the bat back on track.

I'm sure teams wouldn't like a catcher batting around .290, playing pretty decent behind the plate who's experienced and is playing like a leader.

And this pitching staff is doing just fine....

1 bad series isn't the end of the world. And it's not like we got completely stomped every game...we barely lost every one of them. To me, that's nothing more than some bad games leveling out the good ones.

This is not a bad team, it would just be lucky to be a wild card at this point...

Dude Rock

I do not have enough privileges to start threads, I can only reply to them.

I wanted to start a thread titled "The Brewers' Ricky Weeks out for season with wrist injury" but my account won't let me. This is very significant because Weeks is one of the reasons the Brewers are doing so well.

Dude Rock

We just went for a bumpy road, but we went 3-3 not to bad, Lets wait 2 more weeks to see how this team responds, our pitching is good, its just our offense, and its going to be hard going agaisnt Cole Hammels

Bad things always seem to happen to us in San Diego, for whatever reason. I think our play before that was really inspiring. Lets not let the past 3 games dictate where this ballclub stands. This is one of the best teams we have had in years. Everyone was saying how much energy was evident in Spring Training. Lets hold onto that and let these guys grow.

Well its still early on, yes we did get swept by the Padres, but the west coast never really is nice to us. I am not going to go ahead and give up because we got swept by the Padres, thats just baseball. A healthy Votto will help this team out alot. I was pretty mad getting swept by the Padres but I really wasn't expecting to see the hits keep falling like they did against the Diamondbacks. That was some impressive hitting, can't keep it up forever, we have a pretty young team here.

I think the Reds will do fine, I will be happier seeing a .500 team more so than a team 20 or 30 games under. At least if we go .500 that means we are improving. The team is young and talented, I honestly think one or two more players could be the real factor of acheiving a great baseball team. I think we need to get one more power stick that can also be an everyday player not just somebody to platoon. However, I think we could do pretty well with what we got just as long as Dusty can place them right.

If we run guys out there like MacDarrelson and GONZO than we have no choice but to be sellers.

Turn Off Ads?