Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Today's line up May 19, 2009

Today's line up May 19, 2009

Reds

Reds lineup 5-19 Taveras CF Hairston 3B Phillips 2B Bruce RF Hernandez C Rosales 1B McDonald LF Gonzalez SS Cueto P

Phillies

Phillies lineup 5-19 Rollins SS Utley 2B Ibanez LF Howard 1B Werth RF Victorino CF Feliz 3B Ruiz C Hamels P

From the Reds Twitter page.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Today's line up May 19, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by robmadden1 View Post
    Reds

Reds lineup 5-19 Taveras CF Hairston 3B Phillips 2B Bruce RF Hernandez C Rosales 1B McDonald LF Gonzalez SS Cueto P

Phillies

Phillies lineup 5-19 Rollins SS Utley 2B Ibanez LF Howard 1B Werth RF Victorino CF Feliz 3B Ruiz C Hamels P

I can't help but think, even against a tough left-hander like Hamels, the Reds would be so much better with Dickerson or Nix in the lineup than McDonald.

I respect all players that make it to the big leagues. I think Darnell seems like a great guy - one that works hard and is a good clubhouse personality. However, he simply seems overmatched against Major League pitching.

I hope this 'experiment' comes to an abrupt end very soon for the Reds.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Dude Rock

Quote Originally Posted by robmadden1 View Post
    Reds

Phillies

Shoulda been:

CF Tavares
    LF Hairston
    2B Phillips
    1B Hernandez
    RF Bruce
    3B Rosales
    SS Gonzalez (has actually hit Hamels)
    C Hanigan

Problem is.......Dusty wants Hernandez catching Cueto. Therefore, we play Darnell. Darnell is 6-17 against lefties this year (.353).
    Last edited by Dude Rock; 05-19-2009 at 03:56 PM.

hmm, not good when you have 3 pitchers batting one after the other.

They need to replace McDonald with a decent right hand bat, I understand needing to bench Nix and Dickers, but you've got to get someone better than McDonald to play imo.

The Reds could have put Hairston in LF, Rosales at 1B and then had Keppinger at 3B (career numbers in 329 PA against left-handed pitching .355/.410/.526/.936). But they felt better served going into the season with Darnell McDonald who brings just about nothing to the table. One would think anyone that could mash lefties like that would be a valuable asset. Is Country Kepp an all-star? No. Is he a regular? Probably not. Does he value? Yes. Certainly more than Darnell McDonald does.
    Last edited by texasdave; 05-19-2009 at 04:07 PM.

That is not a major league lineup.

Other than simply not liking McDonald, how does anyone have a problem with inserting a guy into this lineup that's hitting lefties at .353?

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Other than simply not liking McDonald, how does anyone have a problem with inserting a guy into this lineup that's hitting lefties at .353?
    8 games and 17 ABs vs LHP is hardly a sample for a reason to play a guy

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    The Reds could have put Hairston in LF, Rosales at 1B and then had Keppinger at 3B (career numbers in 329 PA against left-handed pitching .355/.410/.526/.936). But they felt better served going into the season with Darnell McDonald who brings just about nothing to the table. One would think anyone that could mash lefties like that would be a valuable asset. Is Country Kepp an all-star? No. Is he a regular? Probably not. Does he value? Yes. Certainly more than Darnell McDonald does.

Yeah good point. Keppinger > Mickey Ds

Perhaps I'm just jaded by his .725 career minor league OPS to let myself be persuaded by 17 at-bats against lefties.

Maybe it's just me.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I wonder what will happen if Votto is pretty bad off.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    I wonder what will happen if Votto is pretty bad off.
    Season then truly just becomes a building season and with this lineup we probably win about 70-77 games. Scoring will be non-existent.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Already quoted it once, but I'm so fired up about this game I'm quoting it once more: THAT right there is why I have a problem with it. Nice 0/4 night. I'm not even in the "bring up Gomes" camp really, but if you're telling me that there is no one better for this teams 25th spot then this guy, we're in bigger trouble than I thought.

Dude Rock

McDonald hit one hard to the warning track that was barely caught in the 9th. Not saying he's Mickey Mantle, but he did hit it hard.

Turn Off Ads?