Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What is your prediction of Jay Bruce's career batting average?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Greater than .300

2 3.85%
  • .280 - .300

20 38.46%
  • .260 - .280

26 50.00%
  • Less than .260

4 7.69%

Thread: Jay Bruce AVG

Jay Bruce AVG

I know batting average is an outdated statistic, but it is still widely used nevertheless. If you had to guess Jay Bruce's career batting average (looking forward,) what would you say and why?
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jay Bruce AVG

I would never guess a random rate stat like that for a career, the way the game is played can push it 20 points either way, plus a 21 year old is different man than a 35 year old.. just ask Al Kaline.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    plus a 21 year old is different man than a 35 year old.. just ask Al Kaline.
    Sure, that's fair. You can make it for the next ten years if you like. BTW, you don't have to ask Al, you can ask Ken.
    Go BLUE!!!

i'd be surprised if Bruce ever has a single season at 290 or more, and i expect his career average to be in the 266-274 range...but if he suddenly turns into a 30+ HR and 80+BB guy, i'd expect 285-300 to be his normal range.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I think he will hit .300 a few times in his career. His skillset suggests he can be a solid .285 hitter for most of his career.

but if he suddenly turns into a 30+ HR and 80+BB guy, i'd expect 285-300 to be his normal range.
    I think he's got the first thing covered already

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    I think he's got the first thing covered already
    i think so too, but the question becomes if he can get passed the 50-60 range his minor league and current MLB numbers suggest. on the plus side, he's 21 so that's more likely than it would be for say, Laynce Nix at this point.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

I think he'll eventually develop into a consistent .300+ hitter.

I don't care what his career BA is as long as he avoids outs and produces runs.

What saddens me is Bruce and Votto will most likley be playing elsewhere in just a few years.

I misread the poll, thinking it related to just this year. Over time, his plate discipline will continue to improve - as will his production against lefties. For his career, I'd put him at .280, plus or minus 15 points in either direction.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Since the last half of last year, it seems to me that Bruce is being coached to pull the ball for HR's. He is currently connecting at a 40+ HR pace. With experience he will become more selective in choosing pitches he is able to drive for HR's. At that point I expect his K's will decrease and he will use the whole field as he did when he first came up. He'll take singles when that is all that can be done with a wicked two strike pitch. More than 90% of his career is still ahead of him.

Bruce looked really bad tonight. Hopefully Votto can get back in there and Dusty will feel comfortable enough to give Bruce a day off. I'd put Rosales at 3B and Hairston in the OF against the next lefty the Reds face with Bruce going to the bench.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

He's looked awful as of late. I would give him a day off too.

.280-.300. I just think that's what he'll arrive at for his career.

Turn Off Ads?