Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: BA article on Carlos Fisher, Josh Roenicke, Robert Manuel, and Pedro Viola

  1. #1
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    BA article on Carlos Fisher, Josh Roenicke, Robert Manuel, and Pedro Viola

    Baseball America has a nice article up today on Louisville's top four relievers - Josh Roenicke, Carlos Fisher, Robert Manuel, and Pedro Viola - with quotes from Rick Sweet.

    I'll give little small tidbits on each pitcher since I can't post the article here.

    On Roenicke:

    Big league stuff. Velocity, curveball, movement, but he lacks experience and consistency.

    On Fisher:

    Biggest adjustment was moving from starter to reliever. Sweet says he keeps getting better. Has really caught the attention of the organization.

    On Manuel:

    Doesn't have the stuff of Fisher, Roenicke, or Viola, but he works fast and locates his pitches well. His deceptive motion fools hitters. Nice slider with good movement.

    On Viola:

    Effortless delivery. Impressive fastball/slider/changeup combo. Like Roenicke, he needs to work on consistency. Can be lights-out in one outing and struggles to find the plate in the next outing. Tremendous stuff. Very tough to hit when he's throwing strikes.

    What I find interesting about these four is all of them were position players who switched to the mound just a few years ago. Roenicke played football his freshman year at UCLA. He then joined the baseball team as a sophomore and didn't start pitching until later in his college career. Fisher was also an outfielder in Junior College, then transferred to Lewis-Clark State and became a pitcher. Robert Manuel was a shortstop in Junior College and then transferred to Sam Houston State and started pitching. Pedro Viola was originally signed out of the Dominican Republic as an outfielder and then converted to a pitcher three years ago.

    I'm pretty excited about the future of the Reds bullpen. Roenicke, Fisher, Viola, Bray/Herrera, Manuel, Burton (if he ever gets on track), Masset. Maybe Zach Stewart unless the Reds keep him as a starter.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 05-20-2009 at 01:12 PM.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,188

    Re: BA article on Carlos Fisher, Josh Roenicke, Robert Manuel, and Pedro Viola

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Baseball America has a nice article up today on Louisville's top four relievers - Josh Roenicke, Carlos Fisher, Robert Manuel, and Pedro Viola - with quotes from Rick Sweet.

    I'll give little small tidbits on each pitcher since I can't post the article here.

    On Roenicke:

    Big league stuff. Velocity, curveball, movement, but he lacks experience and consistency.

    On Fisher:

    Biggest adjustment was moving from starter to reliever. Sweet says he keeps getting better. Has really caught the attention of the organization.

    On Manuel:

    Doesn't have the stuff of Fisher, Roenicke, or Viola, but he works fast and locates his pitches well. His deceptive motion fools hitters. Nice slider with good movement.

    On Viola:

    Effortless delivery. Impressive fastball/slider/changeup combo. Like Roenicke, he needs to work on consistency. Can be lights-out in one outing and struggles to find the plate in the next outing. Tremendous stuff. Very tough to hit when he's throwing strikes.

    What I find interesting about these four is all of them were position players who switched to the mound just a few years ago. Roenicke played football his freshman year at UCLA. He then joined the baseball team as a sophomore and didn't start pitching until later in his college career. Fisher was also an outfielder in Junior College, then transferred to Lewis-Clark State and became a pitcher. Robert Manuel was a shortstop in Junior College and then transferred to Sam Houston State and started pitching. Pedro Viola was originally signed out of the Dominican Republic as an outfielder and then converted to a pitcher three years ago.

    I'm pretty excited about the future of the Reds bullpen. Roenicke, Fisher, Viola, Bray/Herrera, Manuel, Burton (if he ever gets on track), Masset. Maybe Zach Stewart unless the Reds keep him as a starter.
    Interesting stuff, thanks.

    This is why it's so important to look beyond numbers sometimes. We argue, why isn't Roenicke or Fisher in the major leagues yet? We shouldn't forget that all these guys have been pitching in the bullpen for a relatively short period, so the Reds are correctly giving them time. Their time will come.

  4. #3
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: BA article on Carlos Fisher, Josh Roenicke, Robert Manuel, and Pedro Viola

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Baseball America has a nice article up today on Louisville's top four relievers - Josh Roenicke, Carlos Fisher, Robert Manuel, and Pedro Viola - with quotes from Rick Sweet.

    I'll give little small tidbits on each pitcher since I can't post the article here.

    On Roenicke:

    Big league stuff. Velocity, curveball, movement, but he lacks experience and consistency.

    On Fisher:

    Biggest adjustment was moving from starter to reliever. Sweet says he keeps getting better. Has really caught the attention of the organization.

    On Manuel:

    Doesn't have the stuff of Fisher, Roenicke, or Viola, but he works fast and locates his pitches well. His deceptive motion fools hitters. Nice slider with good movement.

    On Viola:

    Effortless delivery. Impressive fastball/slider/changeup combo. Like Roenicke, he needs to work on consistency. Can be lights-out in one outing and struggles to find the plate in the next outing. Tremendous stuff. Very tough to hit when he's throwing strikes.

    What I find interesting about these four is all of them were position players who switched to the mound just a few years ago. Roenicke played football his freshman year at UCLA. He then joined the baseball team as a sophomore and didn't start pitching until later in his college career. Fisher was also an outfielder in Junior College, then transferred to Lewis-Clark State and became a pitcher. Robert Manuel was a shortstop in Junior College and then transferred to Sam Houston State and started pitching. Pedro Viola was originally signed out of the Dominican Republic as an outfielder and then converted to a pitcher three years ago.

    I'm pretty excited about the future of the Reds bullpen. Roenicke, Fisher, Viola, Bray/Herrera, Manuel, Burton (if he ever gets on track), Masset. Maybe Zach Stewart unless the Reds keep him as a starter.
    Thanks for posting OBM and thanks to BA for writing it.

    Also, Viola was noted to have a "special" arm and great endurance, no one likes to catch him because he throws so hard. And Fisher is getting the attention of the organization because on top of his talent he consistently gives you a quality outing. I guess that means Fisher is likely the next in line to see the bigs. Viola and Roenicke are further away but look to be quite exceptional. Looks too me like 3 potential high leverage arms and a solid middle relief guy.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    753

    Re: BA article on Carlos Fisher, Josh Roenicke, Robert Manuel, and Pedro Viola

    Looks like next year, the bullpen will be younger and cheaper. Allowing us to save money and use it for some position players.

  6. #5
    Member GOYA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    5,143

    Re: BA article on Carlos Fisher, Josh Roenicke, Robert Manuel, and Pedro Viola

    Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Also, Viola was noted to have a "special" arm and great endurance, no one likes to catch him because he throws so hard.
    Seriously? Who said that? I haven't seen him throw any harder than Bailey, Fisher or Kennard.

  7. #6
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: BA article on Carlos Fisher, Josh Roenicke, Robert Manuel, and Pedro Viola

    Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Seriously? Who said that? I haven't seen him throw any harder than Bailey, Fisher or Kennard.
    Well Power said it, also I believe guys in S/T were talking about how hard he threw as well. Maybe it's just smoother looking from the stands.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 05-20-2009 at 06:44 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25