Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: McDonald DFA'd

Re: McDonald DFA'd

It's definitely about time. I was beginning to wonder how long it would take for the Reds to come to their senses. Good moves. I think Gomes will be there to stay (they can't send him back down without his accepting it again anyhow).
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    I feel bad for McDonald but tihis is a big-time business and it had to be done. Kudos as well to Gomes for accepting the AAA assignment and biding his time,

Not crazy about the Bailey callup....but we'll see.
    Feel Bad for McDonald? How about feel bad for US/The Reds for having to watch him play for The Big Team for so long.
    Seriously.
    ONE FOURTH (1/4th) of the ENTIRE 2009 season before they figured out Gomes should be here instead of McDonald.

Yes, it's about time. SOME semblance that this FO actually isn't tied to DUHsty the Toothpicks pointless meanderings and logic ALL of the time, only wasting 1/4th of the season on a stupid decision.
    Guess it's better than last years CP experiment.

I can live with Nix/Gomes and Taveras/Dickerson as our LF/CF combos. I suppose Gomes can spell Bruce in RF every now and then too (say against the occasional lefty?)
    Not going to win the pennant with it, but at least it actually makes some logical and statistical sense. You know DUHsty had nothing to do with that side of the argument.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

^think he is more stating feel bad for him to see his dreams crushed, not the actual call of finally doing it-dont think anyone qustions that. But yeah, i feel bad for him too, it has to suck to finally make it but then not have enough to stay, but at least he made it, more then most can say
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

I'm Looking forward to seeing Fisher and I know some people aren't excited about Homer but I am.

good moves.
    My name is Cheesy Beef Burrito

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    ^think he is more stating feel bad for him to see his dreams crushed, not the actual call of finally doing it-dont think anyone qustions that. But yeah, i feel bad for him too, it has to suck to finally make it but then not have enough to stay, but at least he made it, more then most can say
    def...can always say he started on opening day for the cincinnati reds
    Last edited by FlyerFanatic; 05-22-2009 at 04:16 PM.

It's about time. It is laughable how some are poking fun and saying that "Gomes is the savior" sarcastically. Come on now, no one here thinks that but it was painfully obvious McDonald doesn't belong in the majors. I don't know how you could argue against that. He's a career minor leaguer who is 30 years old... there is no upside whatsoever. Gomes is another Reds type player who they picked up cheap, has played well in the past and is still relatively young. We keep signing or trading for these players and some of them end up working. (Phillips, Hamilton, Nix to some extent) There is upside there and he actually did decent at AAA, long time coming and he'll help the Reds. If anything, I felt bad for him instead of McDonald...he had to be thinking, how did this happen?

Gomes is 28, not young....he is what he is: effective against lefties at the MLB level. Don't expect anything more. We need a real offensive threat to play in LF and bat in the middle of the order. Gomes=25th man, fine with me.

Plan to be spontaneous Jefferson24's Avatar

This is a productive move. Enough of these little moves and they may result in some wins. Is Gomes just going to be a bat off the bench or could he work his way into a platoon situation?
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Someone above said it right, this is big time business. Dusty got to give the guy a shot, and rewarded him for his hard play in ST. He got to start OD. He had a couple big hits early and got himself a dong in the big leagues. He had to know his time was up.

Seems like they just gave up yesterdays game. But the good news is Votto is OK, Bailey finally gets his call up. Gomes gets his time now to shine, and the Indians are in town. Should be a fun weekend in Cincy. Wish I could be there.

Damn I thought that said Gonzalez optioned. Crap.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisvilleCARDS View Post
    Damn I thought that said Gonzalez optioned. Crap.
    I really wish he would man it up and go to AAA to relearn how to hit. Watching him bat is such a painful experience. He is completely clueless. I think I could hit better than him right now, and I'm 40, stubby and haven't played baseball since I was 15.

After the Phillies series, I really hope Dusty at least has the sense to realize that he should only bat 8th, and he should really be platooning. When Edward comes back, he may be the next to go.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Praise the Lord. Forgive me for saying this but winning teams just don't have Darnell McDonald's on their roster for full seasons. Gomes will be a lift almost immediately.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    Gomes is 28, not young....he is what he is: effective against lefties at the MLB level. Don't expect anything more. We need a real offensive threat to play in LF and bat in the middle of the order. Gomes=25th man, fine with me.
    I didn't mean to use the phrase "relatively young" b/c that can be misinterpreted, "still in his prime" and "3 years removed from back to back 20 HR seasons in the majors" is what I meant. Of course we need a force in left field and in the middle of the order, that may be all this team needs to compete(and he is not that). My point was he is a good bench player, that is all. No one expects him to be a savior

I did not get to see the game yesterday or hear anything but the last two innings, so I missed Ramirez's outing. Did he just not have it? Or what is the reason for his two day stay with the team.

As for McDonald, all I will say is I am happy.
    2010 Attendance Record: 7-4
    2009 Attendance Record: 14-16

Stop! Homer time!!

2 things I like about this:

1) We can stop having threads about the 25th man on the roster.
    2) We can finally have a 15 game winning streak now that Jonny is here.

Turn Off Ads?