Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Carlos Fisher, Jonny Gomes called up; McDonald DFA'd, Ramirez sent to Louisville

Carlos Fisher, Jonny Gomes called up; McDonald DFA'd, Ramirez sent to Louisville

Today the Reds placed on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to 5/17, RHP Edinson Volquez; optioned to Louisville RHP Ramon Ramirez; designated for assignment OF Darnell McDonald; recalled RHP Carlos Fisher (#46) and RHP Homer Bailey (#34); selected from Louisville the contract of OF Jonny Gomes (#31).

Bailey made 8 starts at Class AAA Louisville and went 3-5, 4.57 (45.1ip, 46h, 17bb, 43k, 9hr)…he will start for the Reds tomorrow night vs the Indians.

Fisher made 13 apps for the Bats, all in relief, and went 2-0, 2.00 (18ip, 11h, 4bb, 21k, 0hr)…when he pitches will be making his Major League debut.

In 37g at Louisville OF Jonny Gomes hit .282 and leads the team in HR (9) and RBI (27)…a non-roster invitee to spring training camp, he was reassigned to Louisville the day before Opening Day.

http://ctrentrosecrans.com/
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Carlos Fisher, Jonny Gomes called up; McDonald DFA'd, Ramirez sent to Louisville

Man Pills

Re: Carlos Fisher, Jonny Gomes called up; McDonald DFA'd, Ramirez sent to Louisville

The AAA guys with capes bearing S's have arrived. Let's hope they don't Larson/Rosales.

Did McDonald not have options? I just find it odd that they kept him on the MLB roster but don't want him in the minors.

Makes a whole lot of sense but, as FCB has mentioned, we shouldn't expect the WS trophy b/c of these moves. But it should improve the team.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Did McDonald not have options? I just find it odd that they kept him on the MLB roster but don't want him in the minors.
    I actually thought the same thing. Makes no sense.

Haunted by walks

So the Reds have added some Bats to their lineup.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    No, McDonald does not have options. They have to DFA him, then I believe have 10 days to trade him or he gets his unconditional release. IIRC, he is then a free agent and could sign with Louisville. Then, if they want to recall him, they would have to put him back on the roster and let someone else go. At least I think that is how it works.

Re: Gomes vs MacDonald

It only took the Reds 40 games to make the correct decision between the two.

THANK GOD!!!!! WHEW!! I wasnt excited about the weekend watching McDonald batting against the leftys!! Now i am more optimistict!! I just WISH they did that after coming back from SD before the Philly series!! At least its a smart move and Fisher will help tooo

Good news!

I'm glad to see Fisher called up. I hope his stay in permanent. In 18 innings he has a 2.00 ERA and has allowed only 11 hits while posting a 4 BB/21 K ratio. He's got a chance to be a very good major league reliever.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Finally a step in the right direction. It should have have taken near this long to make the decision but at least they finally made the move.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I actually thought the same thing. Makes no sense.
    To what end? He's clearly not going to help the major league team and the organization has lots of upper minor OF depth, especially the way Heisey has performed so far.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    No, McDonald does not have options. They have to DFA him, then I believe have 10 days to trade him or he gets his unconditional release. IIRC, he is then a free agent and could sign with Louisville. Then, if they want to recall him, they would have to put him back on the roster and let someone else go. At least I think that is how it works.
    Yes, that would be correct. He's been removed from the 40 man roster and would have to be placed there again should he ever come back up.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?