Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Friday 5/22/09 minor league updates

Re: Friday 5/22/09 minor league updates

BPA unless its a catcher haha

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

A little more on Zach Stewart from a guy named Randy who writes for a site I write for and also hangs out on my site, who was at the game tonight in Chattanooga.

• Fastball topped out at 96 MPH 3 times, worked 93-94 and hit 95 in every inning.
    • Slider has 'crazy' bend on it.
    • Change up concerned him because it was in the high 80's. He thought it may have been a slider at first but talked to Travis Wood and Jordan Smith who both confirmed it was a change up (they were sitting behind him charting the game).

Sulbaran got roughed up a bit in the 5th inning. His final line: 5 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 4 BB, 6 K.

So Doug, I know he struggled at Tech as a starter, but with the way he's going, could YOU see him as a bonafide starter? Disregarding what you think the Reds brass is thinking.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    So Doug, I know he struggled at Tech as a starter, but with the way he's going, could YOU see him as a bonafide starter? Disregarding what you think the Reds brass is thinking.
    Well, I plan on talking to the Reds, to see what they are thinking.... but after the reports I got on Stewart tonight, there is no question in my mind that he is the best STARTER in the system right now and its not close.

That's a Playstation GO/FO ratio. Sick. Good outings all around. Nice!

Bats game

Held the Chiefs to 1 run on 10 hits.

Stubbs' infield hit was serious hustle to keep the inning alive.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Agree: only one way to draft, BPA.
    Best Pitcher Available for at least 3 of the 4 first picks or 4 0f 6 just like last year, I wont be happy until we have several super stud pitchers like Stewart in the minors

After the dreadful 1-12 start, Dayton now has company in last place, and is actually percentage points ahead of Lansing.

This is a big outing for the organization. Other than Homer B, not sure the Reds have a first, second, or third starter candidate in the high minors. If Stewart can fill that role, it could impact the draft, possible trades, etc. Don't want to get too carried away on one outing, but it's an important start for the organization. Nice work by Stewart.
    Nice post. However, I'd take some emphasis off this one start and say that if Stewart can show over the course of 5-10 starts that he can control (and, sometimes, overmatch) AA hitting, then the organization may have itself another legitimate SP prospect in the high minors, with all the benefits you mention.

Great start, but let's not get carried away. Stewart's going to need that 3rd pitch to be functional if he wants to start in the bigs. My guess is that he could help the Reds out of the pen right now.

Turn Off Ads?