Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is playing the Indians 2x in interleague every year stupid?

Is playing the Indians 2x in interleague every year stupid?

Putting aside the interleague vs. no interleague argument for a moment, any "heat" that might have existed between these two teams is now nonexistent in my opinion.

There is no rivalry; they just happen to share the same state ...

If we're going to have interleague, I'd just as soon see more teams rather than the Cleveland Indians every year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is playing the Indians 2x in interleague every year stupid?

yes, it's stupid, but I'm sure it makes both teams some money.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Personally, I think it should only be one series per year. This would give us the opportunity to see one different team and it would make the home to home swing every other year more meaningful, likely increasing the drama and attendance...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Forced regional rivalries are tired. If they must do inter league then I'd prefer a random generator that picked the match ups and teams played the other leagues rules in their home park.

I like it!

There is a pretty good rivalry between the Reds and Indians fans. The series generates interest across all of Ohio and is a revenue generator for both cities. IMO it makes sense for the Reds to play the Indians twice instead of just once and having to play the Royals.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

The rivalry doesn't mean much in southwest Ohio, which is about as close to Nashville and Chicago as it is to Cleveland. But it makes sense in central Ohio, where you find plenty of fans of each Ohio team.

Since interleague play was Bud Selig's brainchild, I doubt there will be any consideration of reducing the amount of it for as long as he's at the helm of MLB.
    /r/reds

The bloom is definitely off the rose as far as this series goes. Back in the late 90s and early 00s, this series sold out all the time. Of course this was mainly because of Tribe fans who came down here to see the Indians play because the Jake was always sold out.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I would love to see interleague play reduced to three series each year rather than the current five. I have no problem with two with Cleveland each year, and then one with a random team. But one with Cleveland and two with random teams would be fine as well.

Five series not only is overkill, and makes interleague play become boring fast, it also screws up the schedule. Are the Reds really making that much more money playing KC and the White Sox, that it justifies missing games against Mets, Phillies and Dodgers?
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Get rid of inter-league play. Play a more balanced schedule in the NL. I get sick of seeing the Reds playing the NL Central, as well.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Get rid of inter-league play. Play a more balanced schedule in the NL. I get sick of seeing the Reds playing the NL Central, as well.
    truer words were never spoken.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Putting aside the interleague vs. no interleague argument for a moment, any "heat" that might have existed between these two teams is now nonexistent in my opinion.

There is no rivalry; they just happen to share the same state ...

If we're going to have interleague, I'd just as soon see more teams rather than the Cleveland Indians every year.
    It seems to work better with the East teams to make it flexible, other than the NYs.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Couldn't agree more. I grew up hating the Dodgers. Now, we never play them...although, that's probably a good thing

I don't mind playing teams within our division a bit more than other clubs, but it seems like they could work something out so it wasn't so redundant.

It is stupid, but unfortunately it's Bud Selig's world and we only live in it.

Agree completely.

Having said that, since we are currently stuck with Pud's grand-child, I will say that, as having lived in both Ohio cities and followed both teams, playing the Indians twice is a lot more interesting for me than the Reds playing a series with, say, the Seattle Mariners.

Back to what Randy wrote: overall, I'd rather see the Reds play the Dodgers, Pads, D-backs more often than this interleague junk.

Rem

Yes. Forward this to Bud.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Turn Off Ads?