Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds survive nicely

Reds survive nicely

So we are now 5-5 in our last ten games.The Brew Crew got hot and pulled away a bit but I think that the team did ok considering that one of the best in the game misses a lot of time because of a ear infection.Its easy to give up when the team looses a few because past season failures but while I may complain a little I have not found a good reason to give up just yet.

I know that the recent call-ups won't make a huge difference but I feel the team is improved.I for one will be very happy to see Gomes and not McDonald get some ABs against lefties.Nix or Dickerson gives us solid options against the right handed pitchers.All of that said I think LF could be pretty solid the rest of the way.

Its hard for me to say much about SS as we continue to play the worse option there every day but I feel that we have guys that could get the job done.At some point soon Dusty will be forced to give others a chance(3-4 tonight will probably buy Gonzo a few more starts).

The only thought I have right now that could be considered going out on a limb is that I think EE will be back soon and when he is back he will make a solid contibution.In a perfect world Gonzo would be let go upon EE return.I know that will never happen.

Votto will be back very soon and when that time comes I think we will once again see the offense come to life.With continued good pitching I see no reason why the Reds won't stay close to the top of the division.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds survive nicely

Quote Originally Posted by redsfever09 View Post
    So we are now 5-5 in our last ten games.The Brew Crew got hot and pulled away a bit but I think that the team did ok considering that one of the best in the game misses a lot of time because of a ear infection.Its easy to give up when the team looses a few because past season failures but while I may complain a little I have not found a good reason to give up just yet.

I know that the recent call-ups won't make a huge difference but I feel the team is improved.I for one will be very happy to see Gomes and not McDonald get some ABs against lefties.Nix or Dickerson gives us solid options against the right handed pitchers.All of that said I think LF could be pretty solid the rest of the way.

Its hard for me to say much about SS as we continue to play the worse option there every day but I feel that we have guys that could get the job done.At some point soon Dusty will be forced to give others a chance(3-4 tonight will probably buy Gonzo a few more starts).

The only thought I have right now that could be considered going out on a limb is that I think EE will be back soon and when he is back he will make a solid contibution.In a perfect world Gonzo would be let go upon EE return.I know that will never happen.

Votto will be back very soon and when that time comes I think we will once again see the offense come to life.With continued good pitching I see no reason why the Reds won't stay close to the top of the division.
    I appreciate this post. I felt like after the rough series in San Diego everyone jumped off ship. I was riding high as could be after nearly sweeping the cards and hated to see people start giving up so early. We faced Haren, Peavy, and Hamels and won 1, and had 2 tough losses. We lost 4 games in a row by a combined 6 runs. A few things go our way we are looking at a 7-3 split and nobody's complaining.

WHy all this confidence in EE>?

EE is batting a whopping .127 in 63 AB's with 1 HR and 19 SO's

Rosales is batting .250 in 68 AB's with 2 HR's and 12 SO's.

IMO EE is just like gonzo. They both have lost their positions on this team.

Not to mention the intensity and WANT! That these young guys bring to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post

Not to mention the intensity and WANT! That these young guys bring to the table.
    This is what I have enjoyed most this season. Hustle is contagious, just like not hustling is contagious.

Win or lose, this has been the most entertaining Reds team in quite a few years.

Because he had those stats while he was trying to play through an injury. Rosales is a nice player but nothing like EE has proven over the years even if many of us think he could do much more.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

I don't think that you can lose your starting job because of an injury. I like Rosales' hustle and his ability to throw the ball to 1st without it going in the stands. But I don't think that you can give EE's job to him just because he has been playing ok. .250 batting average is nothing to brag about. Let them play it out. We could get enough at bats for both of them.

There were several encouraging things with Encarnacion despite his struggles.

1. His walks were up a lot higher than his career rates. His career average BB% is 9.3% but this year he was over 17% early on.

2. He had been incredibly unlucky, comprising most of that .127 average. His BABIP was .163, though he was not hitting many line drives.

Regardless, I get as frustrated with Encarnacion as anyone. However, though Rosales has filled in admirably, I don't think anyone can expect Rosales to create nearly 80-90 runs in a full season as EE did last season.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

This team needs a Power Hitter for the 4 hole in the Lineup! Thats it, and I cannot believe the Reds are going with a platoon in Left and a rotation at 3rd Base instead of aquiring someone for either position.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    This team needs a Power Hitter for the 4 hole in the Lineup! Thats it, and I cannot believe the Reds are going with a platoon in Left and a rotation at 3rd Base instead of aquiring someone for either position.
    So your wish list includes:

Peavy
    Starting left fielder with power
    Starting 3rd Baseman

I mean I guess if we took a 50 million dollar loan from the Yankees would could probably get that stuff done. With a 75 million dollar payroll? Not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidty623 View Post
    So your wish list includes:

Peavy
    Starting left fielder with power
    Starting 3rd Baseman

I mean I guess if we took a 50 million dollar loan from the Yankees would could probably get that stuff done. With a 75 million dollar payroll? Not so much.
    I said either position....

Quote Originally Posted by redsfever09 View Post
    tIn a perfect world Gonzo would be let go upon EE return....
    Gonzo won that game last night that you're so happy to have won.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldez View Post
    Gonzo won that game last night that you're so happy to have won.
    It is possible for a guy batting .2oo to win you a game.Its just that it won't happen very often.Gonzo has been given a very long rope and with the exception of last night he has done very little to help this team win.I'm glad he did well last night and while I doubt he will I certainly hope he turns things around.One good effort after continued failure doesn't convince me of much though.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    There were several encouraging things with Encarnacion despite his struggles.

1. His walks were up a lot higher than his career rates. His career average BB% is 9.3% but this year he was over 17% early on.

2. He had been incredibly unlucky, comprising most of that .127 average. His BABIP was .163, though he was not hitting many line drives.

Regardless, I get as frustrated with Encarnacion as anyone. However, though Rosales has filled in admirably, I don't think anyone can expect Rosales to create nearly 80-90 runs in a full season as EE did last season.

Well ok heres my problem.

I agree. However.

I think rosales should be given a legit chance! None of this rosales plays every once every 15 games to give EE a rest.

They should be platooning until it is decided on who is going to produce better for the reds this year.

My money is on rosales winning that battle. Im tired of EE and his SO's and his attitude.

Rosales is going to be sent down when EE is healthy, thats all there is to it! If you think otherwise you're smoking rock!

Quote Originally Posted by Jones1 View Post
    Rosales is going to be sent down when EE is healthy, thats all there is to it! If you think otherwise you're smoking rock!

You think abyone that thinks rosales deserves a spot on this roster is smoking rock>?

Turn Off Ads?