Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homer Down, Wilkin Up

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Homer Down, Wilkin Up

Didn't see a Sun Deck thread on this anywhere..

Wilkin Castillo hitting a robust .207 in AAA with a healthy 18/1 K/BB ratio. All you can say after looking at those numbers is, "It's About Time."
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Homer Down, Wilkin Up

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Didn't see a Sun Deck thread on this anywhere..

Wilkin Castillo hitting a robust .207 in AAA with a healthy 18/1 K/BB ratio. All you can say after looking at those numbers is, "It's About Time."
    It's hard to say Castillo earned the promotion but given the current state of the roster having a versatile player like Castillo makes a lot of sense. If Votto is going to continue to miss time and Ramon Hernandez is going to fill in at 1B, having another player who can fill in at catcher is probably a good idea.

We can only hope he never plays.

Code:
    Player  	G 	AB 	R 	H 	2B 	3B 	HR 	RBI 	TB 	BB 	SO 	SB 	CS 	OBP 	SLG 	AVG 	OPS 	E 
    Castillo	27	92	10	19	4	1	1	4	28	1	18	3	0	.223	.304	.207	.528	5

Homer should stay down. I don't know if he's ever going to be ready for ML hitters.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldez View Post
    Homer should stay down. I don't know if he's ever going to be ready for ML hitters.
    I think he could consistently get ML hitters out it is just that he is not throwing strikes consistently

Dude Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn_RedsFan View Post
    I think he could consistently get ML hitters out it is just that he is not throwing strikes consistently
    ...........and that's part of getting ML hitters out.

They should have left him down in triple A to pad his numbers and increase his trade value. That might have been his last chance with the Reds ML roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude Rock View Post

They should have left him down in triple A to pad his numbers and increase his trade value. That might have been his last chance with the Reds ML roster.
    I doubt this is his last shot. It was a last minute fill in start. They had to have somebody and he was just the warm body this time.

You got me worrying about Bruce now....lmao

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    \All you can say after looking at those numbers is, "It's About Time..."
    ...he is released.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

If you have this year's Baseball Prospectus annual, check out his entry. They talk about the "mark of the third catcher" who is doomed to watch the starters but never join them. Pretty funny stuff.

Homer will likely be fine. He is a victim of unrealistic expectations right now. He needs to stay in AAA until he gets it together. He had given up 9 homers in 45 innings in AAA...he is not ready for the majors. Not everyone is Johnny Cueto even if they were projected to be.

And that's part of getting AA hitters out too.

The Reds might have called Homer up so the Indians could have a look at him. The Indians pitching is next to last in the American League. Delarosa is on the block right now

Last man on the roster, someone who won't play unless in an emergency. A waste of a spot though, I think we could find some free agent fodder from some old timer to come off the bench and pinch hit or something though. It would be nice to get someone to come in and play that Lenny Harris role.

There's still a few out there that don't have a team:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/featur...il&season=2008

Dude Rock

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    The Reds might have called Homer up so the Indians could have a look at him. The Indians pitching is next to last in the American League. Delarosa is on the block right now
    No thanks.

Frankly, I see few players I'm even interested in........that the Reds would be willing to trade and pay for. Holiday isn't going to happen.......too expensive as a rent a player. I just see no one of value that the Reds would trade for............and therefore I see them going with what they got and seeing what happens.

Still feel this is an improvement year with management finding out what works and what doesn't, and trying to fix it in the offseason. Although Hernandez, Weathers, and AGon all have expensive options for another season that most likely will be declined..........so they could be gone. I'd like to have Hernandez back, but not for $8 million. I wouldn't even mind Gonzo back for like $1 million........but not for $6 million (his option).

Turn Off Ads?