Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 13 straight games against NL Central opponents

Re: 13 straight games against NL Central opponents

How awful is this offense? The Reds pitching has allowed five runs in the last two games ... and have lost both games. Wow. I hope Walt doesn't trade any of our prospects for a bat, because we need more than just one bat. We need Joey Votto plus two more bats. So frustrating. With the way this team is playing, they aren't going to be above .500 for much longer.

5-6 record now.

5th inning: first and third, one out = no runs

8th inning: tying run on third, one out = no runs.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 06-05-2009 at 10:11 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    How awful is this offense? The Reds pitching has allowed five runs in the last two games ... and have lost both games. Wow. I hope Walt doesn't trade any of our prospects for a bat, because we need more than just one bat. We need Joey Votto plus two more bats. So frustrating. With the way this team is playing, they aren't going to be above .500 for much longer.
    If the Reds acquire a legit LFer, and get Votto and Edwin back the offense would look a lot better.

Dickerson
    Hairston
    Votto
    LFer
    Phillips
    Bruce
    Encarnacion
    Hernandez

is a vast improvement over

Hairston
    Dickerson
    Phillips
    Nix
    Hernandez
    Bruce
    Rosales
    Gonzalez
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I don't think another bat or even two is a dire need. We just need Votto back and for Bruce to hit over .220.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I don't think another bat or even two is a dire need. We just need Votto back and for Bruce to hit over .220.
    I disagree. The Reds entered tonight 21st in OPS+ and that number will go down after tonight. Even with Votto healthy and Bruce hitting this offense is still pretty bad. CF, 3B, LF, and SS have been black holes. LF has been better since Nix took over but that still leaves us with CF, 3B, and SS.

I'm just so disappointed in Walt Jocketty. The Reds strong pitching through the first 54 games has gone to waste.

Not sure how you can blame Jocketty for 3rd base, it's not his fault Edwin died. I have no problem with CF if Dickerson is going to OBP .370 and play that kind of defense.

SS and LF are problems and we all knew they would be before the season started.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Not sure how you can blame Jocketty for 3rd base, it's not his fault Edwin died. I have no problem with CF if Dickerson is going to OBP .370 and play that kind of defense.

I don't think LF's a problem, honestly.

SS, no Votto, crummy Bruce have been killers.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Unfortunately, Dickerson isn't the starting CF. I wish he was, but Taveras (when healthy) is the starting CF.

Agreed. Everyone knew it, but the Reds failed to address the problem.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 06-05-2009 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I don't think LF's a problem, honestly.

SS, no Votto, crummy Bruce have been killers.
    The Reds won't make the playoffs with Laynce Nix in LF. It's not going to happen. Is he awful? Not at all, but he's a contender's starting LFer.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Unfortunately, Dickerson isn't the starting CF. I wish he was, but Taveras (when healthy) is the starting CF.

Agreed. Everyone knew it, but the Reds failed to address the problem.
    To me, the most frusterating thing is everybody knew the problems were there too, especially the OF problem. If the Reds would have given Dickerson/Hairston platoon the CF job and signed/traded for a legit LFer nobody would have complained. Instead they decided to "solve" the OF problem by signing Taveras, and that's just bad.

Even if Votto, Bruce and Edwin were in the lineup everyday and producing up to expectations at years end this would be a poor offense with Taveras and Phillips garnering the most PAs in the leadoff and cleanup spots in the lineup.

Brandon has no business hitting fourth and Taveras should have never worn a Reds uniform.

I hope Votto comes back soon, he should put up some fine numbers.

I hope Jay Bruce keeps playing baseball like Jay Bruce, the experience and the numbers will come with time.

I'm one of Edwins biggest fans, I still have faith in him.

Brandon would be more valuable anywhere but the three or four spot in the order.

(for the always happy and optimistic crowd, This is just my humble/honest opinion. I'm a Reds Fan Too.)

Brandon Phillips is OPSing close to .900 and has 41 RBIs. He has a pretty good .861 OPS with 6HRs and 33 of his RBIS VS RIGHT HANDERS. I don't see why there is still hate on Phillips in the 4 hole. He is a run producer and is finally showing it. And he's batting well vs. Righties. He has become a good cleanup hitter, and is doing well in the 3 hole with Votto out.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Brandon Phillips is OPSing close to .900 and has 41 RBIs. He has a pretty good .861 OPS with 6HRs and 33 of his RBIS VS RIGHT HANDERS. I don't see why there is still hate on Phillips in the 4 hole. He is a run producer and is finally showing it. And he's batting well vs. Righties. He has become a good cleanup hitter, and is doing well in the 3 hole with Votto out.
    Right now Brandon is doing the job vs RHP let's hope he remains as successful as he's been for the past month.

I'm afraid Brandon has been a bit lucky here lately. (hope I'm wrong) Phillips has been swinging the bat so hard he's often been falling down.

It's very hard to hit when you're off balance. Watch out for the breaking ball low and away, Brandon can't hit it but he can't stop himself from swinging at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Even if Votto, Bruce and Edwin were in the lineup everyday and producing up to expectations at years end this would be a poor offense with Taveras and Phillips garnering the most PAs in the leadoff and cleanup spots in the lineup.

Brandon has no business hitting fourth and Taveras should have never worn a Reds uniform.

I hope Votto comes back soon, he should put up some fine numbers.

I hope Jay Bruce keeps playing baseball like Jay Bruce, the experience and the numbers will come with time.

I'm one of Edwins biggest fans, I still have faith in him.

Brandon would be more valuable anywhere but the three or four spot in the order.

(for the always happy and optimistic crowd, This is just my humble/honest opinion. I'm a Reds Fan Too.)
    Which is exactly why I said the Reds need to trade for an actual LFer and give Dickerson the majority of ABs in CF.

Which is exactly why I said the Reds need to trade for an actual LFer and give Dickerson the majority of ABs in CF.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Bingo!

If you are an opposing pitcher right now - who do you see as a real threat in this lineup right now? In the last 7 days we have an OB% of .298, SLG% of .367, OPS of .665. All bottom tier.

We definitely miss Votto. But Bruce is really struggling. Yeah, some of that may be due to bad luck. I've watched him really hit a lot of solid balls, but right at people. But his numbers, so far, are pretty disappointing ....

.215 BA .298 OB% .467 SLG% .765 OPS

I have pretty much watched every game so far this year. I don't know where this stat can be found, or if it's even kept (sure it is); but this team is filled with a bunch of first pitch hackers. Very little patience at all.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?