Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nick Massett

Nick Massett

Anyone else here for starting to stretch him out and giving him a chance at the number 5 spot. Owings just doesn't have the stuff to get hitters out consistently.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Nick Massett

I'm not opposed to it.I do feel Owens has done enough to this point to keep his job though.That said Owens probably does have less of a rope to hang himself with then most other 5th starters.Massett is certainly a good option.

Not that i'm ready to proclaim Jockety GM of the year but it seems like all of his moves work out pretty good.He basically stole Massett from the White Sox.

I'm more confident in Owings than Arroyo at this point. We need to demote Lincoln when Edinson gets back.

Quote Originally Posted by kentjett View Post
    I'm more confident in Owings than Arroyo at this point.
    WOW??

part of BBN

For all the talk of Owings, including Marty on radio, after his game tonight, the guy still has ERA of 4.80. Before his last start where he got hit pretty hard by phillies, his ERA was 3.95.
    What I am saying is
    A: He is still a good option as a 5th starter
    B: Masset has done an excellent job in the "pen" role so I wouldnt mess with it. I wouldnt mind seeing his role expanded in that capacity.

3 runs in 5 IP is nothing to brag about but the bottom line is that the Stros had their ace going tonight and we had our 5th starter going and we won the game.Owens wasn't great but he kept us in the game.That is his job and he did it imo.

Massett did look pretty good in his 1 inning.I think I saw 1 fastball hit 96 on the gun.

I wouldn't mess with Masset because he has been awesome in the pen. Owings has also been a solid #5 starter. We are 4-4 when he takes the mound, and we have won when he's faced Haren and Oswalt now. I'll take that out of the #5 spot.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfever09 View Post
    3 runs in 5 IP is nothing to brag about but the bottom line is that the Stros had their ace going tonight and we had our 5th starter going and we won the game.Owens wasn't great but he kept us in the game.That is his job and he did it imo.

Massett did look pretty good in his 1 inning.I think I saw 1 fastball hit 96 on the gun.
    With the way our 5th starters have been the past few years it is!

Quote Originally Posted by redsfever09 View Post

Who is this "Owens" you speak of?

Leave Masset right where he is I say.

Dude Rock

Well, I've defended Owings all season. Many were wanting to replace him with Bailey over and over and I was against that, and wisely so.

BUT...........Owings frustrated me tonight. His e.r.a. remains below 5.00........which is pretty good for a 5th starter. BUT...........there are no big bats out there for a reasonable trade value...........I'd much rather have Peavy if we had to sell the farm system........and I think it would scare the crud out of the rest of the NL if we got him. Just my $.02.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude Rock View Post
    Well, I've defended Owings all season. Many were wanting to replace him with Bailey over and over and I was against that, and wisely so.

BUT...........Owings frustrated me tonight. His e.r.a. remains below 5.00........which is pretty good for a 5th starter. BUT...........there are no big bats out there for a reasonable trade value...........I'd much rather have Peavy if we had to sell the farm system........and I think it would scare the crud out of the rest of the NL if we got him. Just my $.02.
    I agree...

I want Peavy, and Owings has been good, and frustrating... I would like to give him atleast 20-25 Starts before pulling him out... HE looks good somedays, and just seems to lose it every other start... But keep running him out there or we're never going to know what we have here...

Quote Originally Posted by Dude Rock View Post

That is outstanding for a 5th starter.

Quote Originally Posted by corwinator3407 View Post
    Who is this "Owens" you speak of?
    You know, the guy in the order right after Johnie Kweato and Bronston Aroyah.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Im intrigued by the idea of moving owings to the pen having him be a relief pitcher/LF. Imagine Owings starting the game in left then coming in to pitch the 7th innining then trotting back out to left after that. Or coming off the bench to pinch hit and staying in the game as the left fielder or pitcher. Im not sure if it would work but it would give us alot of interesting options and owings seems like a good enough athelete to pull it off.

Turn Off Ads?