Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The Reds' LF answer?

The Reds' LF answer?

First, make no mistake that I'm perfectly satisfied with riding out this Laynce Nix - Jonny Gomes platoon to see how far it takes the Reds. Right now, the results have been unquestionable.

Nix - .308 / .361 / .615 / .976 OPS before tonight (v. RHP). 4 HR / 10 RBI total in 80 AB.

Gomes - .500 / .500 / .600 / 1.100 OPS before tonight (v. LHP). 0 HR / 4 RBI.

In close to 100 at bats, the two are combining on nearly a 1.000 OPS when used against their opposite hand. Clearly that will not keep up over 500 plate appearances, but it's good enough to keep the Reds competitive.

But just in case this platoon does not work out, while Matt Holliday is the obvious bat available if the A's continue to fall out of the race, my preference is that the Reds make a run at Brad Hawpe.

The Rockies did just extend his contract three seasons last fall. However, he's due 7.5 million in 2010 and there's talk the Rockies are still willing to listen to offers in the right trade. He's a guy, because of his value, might be worth laying down some good prospects for.

Before anyone says "Coors Field" it should be noted his 3-year averages from 2006-2008, he had an identical OBP on the road as he did at home and was within 30 points of his home slugging percentage - for a road OPS of .889.

The more I see of a Nix-Gomes platoon the more I think the Reds can afford to avoid overpaying for any LF option. However, since we're pondering all the possibilities, I'd like to see the Reds make a run at him and throw him in left should things not work out from the in-house options.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Reds' LF answer?

I like the platoon, they're ridiculously underrated if you have the right guys to do it. I think that might be it right now. At the point I'm sick of some of the infield situation with Encarnacion (before the injury) and Alex Gonzalez. Any big bat at 3B or SS would be great, and let Hairston play the other position.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisvilleCARDS View Post
    I like the platoon, they're ridiculously underrated if you have the right guys to do it. I think that might be it right now. At the point I'm sick of some of the infield situation with Encarnacion (before the injury) and Alex Gonzalez. Any big bat at 3B or SS would be great, and let Hairston play the other position.
    Agreed. I think I would normally not even be thinking about left field if I saw better available upgrades at other positions (SS or 3B as you mentioned). I do think Edwin Encarnacion gets a bad rap statistically, but he's a frustrating player to watch. I'm wondering if the Reds don't begin to explore his trade value elsewhere.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Dude Rock

I like the LF platoon and I don't see any big RH LFer bats out there for a reasonable value.

Personally, I'd trade more of the farm for Peavy and move Micah to long reliever.

Im happy with the LF platoon. And i dont want a rockies outfielder, or matt holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post
    Im happy with the LF platoon. And i dont want a rockies outfielder, or matt holiday.
    I will go out and say. I agree.

Turn Off Ads?