View Poll Results: Votto or Bruce?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Votto

39 56.52%
  • Bruce

30 43.48%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who will have the better career...Votto or Bruce?

Re: Who will have the better career...Votto or Bruce?

Jay Bruce is gonna have a fine career and by the time he's 25 like Votto he'll have 3 times as many AB's under his belt in MLB that Votto has at age 25. Then we'll know how they measure up.

Otherwise I remember a LOT of Kearns will be soooo much better than Dunn talk reverberating around here at one time.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Relying on anecdotal evidence here, and there's plenty to suggest Votto's work ethic is exceptional, while there is little, if any, that indicates the same about Bruce. Bruce had never really experienced adversity until he hit a rough patch in the bigs last year, so its understandable that he might think the game comes easy.

Perhaps a more palatable argument for you would be to point out, as others have noted, the plate approach and swing mechanics of Votto -- partly a result, I would say, of his study -- are superior to Bruce's. Unless Bruce makes adjustments -- and he has not shown much of a knack for it yet -- he'll never see the level of major league performance Votto's putting up right now, in my opinion.
    I wonder what Joey Votto would have looked like versus MLB pitching during his age 22 season?

I think Bruce will have the greater career in that his career/talent peak will surpass Joey's. Bruce has got superstar written all over him.

The biggest difference is that Votto has learned to hit lefties. The ability to hit lefties only comes from experience, and I am confident that by the time Bruce is 24 or 25 he will be able to hit them well enough to put up great overall numbers. That is about the age in which nearly all great LH hitter learned to hit lefties.

When that happens, he will pass Votto, I believe.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    The biggest difference is that Votto has learned to hit lefties. The ability to hit lefties only comes from experience, and I am confident that by the time Bruce is 24 or 25 he will be able to hit them well enough to put up great overall numbers. That is about the age in which nearly all great LH hitter learned to hit lefties.

When that happens, he will pass Votto, I believe.
    I disagree. The ability to hit lefties helps when you have faced more lefties but it isn't the reason why. It really is an approach and a hitting style more than anything. The left handed hitters who hit lefties well are the ones who are able to stay within the ball and drive the ball to the left field gap. IMO there are very few players like Votto who hit lefties as well as they hit righties. Case and point was Votto's HR last night. As a pitcher it wasn't that bad of a pitch, the ball was down in the zone but Votto stayed with the pitch, but the barrel of the bat on the ball, and drove it over the LF fence.

What really impressed me about Votto last season was his power to the left center gap. If you have the power and ability to hit it out to all fields, which Votto does, you become a very scary hitter.

Interestingly Votto was downright awful against LHP in the minors: .239/.331/.357 in 400+ ABs. So whatever Joey is doing vs lefties now, it's not what he was doing when he was Bruce's age.

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    Interestingly Votto was downright awful against LHP in the minors: .239/.331/.357 in 400+ ABs. So whatever Joey is doing vs lefties now, it's not what he was doing when he was Bruce's age.
    Yep that's why when he came up last year the scuttlebutt was get a Cantu to platoon with him, so either he's gotten a lot smarter or worked himself to this point or the sample size is still too small.

I choose the later.

So for those who voted Bruce, are you thinking Votto's start to this season is a statistical outlier...or do you think Bruce will be even better?

Bruce has all the tools, no doubt. But after watching Votto step up this year, if I had a gun to my head...it would have to be awful hard to pick Bruce on this one I think. And that is not a knock on Bruce or the game he brings to the table...Votto has just been that good.

I've read the scouting reports of course and Bruce projects to be a great one and I think he will be. But man, I'd say the projections on Votto were way off...not many saw this coming when he was 22. So based on what I see on the field, I go with Votto (but no one is for sure at this point), and I don't let the age difference affect my vote too much at all.
    Last edited by kaldaniels; 05-27-2009 at 04:31 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I voted Bruce. Votto to this point in his career has a .344 BABIP. Thats not likely to continue. Votto is a guy who looks like a .285/.365/.500 type of hitter for his career. Jay to me looks like a .280/.350/.550 type of hitter. Obviously each guy is going to have peak seasons better than that, Votto obviously is having one right now. Jay Bruce goes on stretches as a 21 and 22 year old where he is locked in that make him a downright silly good player. When those stretches get more consistent, he will be one of the best players in baseball.

Another thing to note.... Votto is playing 1B. Bruce in RF. Positional value is different too.

That said, I am glad we have both of them. Very glad.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I disagree. The ability to hit lefties helps when you have faced more lefties but it isn't the reason why. It really is an approach and a hitting style more than anything. The left handed hitters who hit lefties well are the ones who are able to stay within the ball and drive the ball to the left field gap. IMO there are very few players like Votto who hit lefties as well as they hit righties. Case and point was Votto's HR last night. As a pitcher it wasn't that bad of a pitch, the ball was down in the zone but Votto stayed with the pitch, but the barrel of the bat on the ball, and drove it over the LF fence.

What really impressed me about Votto last season was his power to the left center gap. If you have the power and ability to hit it out to all fields, which Votto does, you become a very scary hitter.
    I agree with you completely. I just meant that you need exprience hitting against lefties in order to get better. You need the right approach too, but you're not going to get better if you don't get the experience too. Badly worded, my bad.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

I think Bruce will have the more impressive peak, but Votto will have the more impressive career. I think of Bruce like a slightly better, hopefully healthier Jermaine Dye. Votto is more like a 1B version of Scott Rolen.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I love Joey Votto. He's going to be a great hitter for many years and seems like a real class act as well. Baseball needs more guys like him.

I voted for Bruce though. Could be some bright days in Cincy with these two hitting in the middle of the order.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

I choose C) O. Prime

Both will be beasts. Be grateful they are wearing Reds' colors. I was one of the people willing to trade Votto plus for Bedard last year. Baaa! I feel sheepish. If Bruce does turn into Larry Walker and Votto Scott Rolen we will be incredibly lucky as fans to watch their career.

I think Votto has a better chance of staying healthier than Bruce, both should be locked up long term because they both have great work ethic and they eat, sleep baseball.

Turn Off Ads?