Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who would you rather have right now, Bailey or Hughes?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bailey

37 44.58%
  • Hughes

46 55.42%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Philip Hughes or Homer Bailey?

Philip Hughes or Homer Bailey?

Both are from the same class more or less and Hughes just pitched last night against a pretty darn good Detroit offense and gave up 0 runs, 2 hits , 2BB and 6Ks over 6 IP (the type of start Bailey has not matched at the show).

To be fair though, Hughes had previously struggled quite a bit at the show and has shown a propensity to injur easily.

So here's the question...at this very moment, who would you take, Bailey or Hughes and why? You can factor in upside or results or whatever, but the question is asking, who would you take right now?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Philip Hughes or Homer Bailey?

Hughes. I don't think his injury issues signal anything chronic, and I think he's a more polished pitcher than Homer. It's not really close right now.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Bailey. Barely.
    Bailey has the edge in stuff right now, even if he is inconsistent with it. His upside is just higher and I really feel he is on the brink of big things. Hughes still has plenty good stuff and his control is very good. I think he is likely to be the better pitcher in the near future, but I think Bailey will still be good during that time and is going to be the better pitcher over the long haul.

Bailey. We have him and we don't have to try and trade for him. The Yankees wouldn't give up Hughes for Bailey (I don't think they would trade Hughes at all). In a dream world, I think it's a toss up; they have similar unrealized potential.

Bum

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Bailey. Barely.
    Bailey has the edge in stuff right now, even if he is inconsistent with it. His upside is just higher and I really feel he is on the brink of big things. Hughes still has plenty good stuff and his control is very good. I think he is likely to be the better pitcher in the near future, but I think Bailey will still be good during that time and is going to be the better pitcher over the long haul.
    I agree. It's close, but I like Bailey a little more.

I cannot differentiate them sufficiently based on their talent. Stuff wise they both seem to have top of the rotation potential. Neither has a significant injury history. I'd take Hughes for the sole reason that there don't seem to be the coachability questions that surround Bailey. Even his ceiling is a touch higher, it seems that Bailey carries a much bigger chance of never becoming an established major leaguer.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I cannot differentiate them sufficiently based on their talent. Stuff wise they both seem to have top of the rotation potential. Neither has a significant injury history. I'd take Hughes for the sole reason that there don't seem to be the coachability questions that surround Bailey. Even his ceiling is a touch higher, it seems that Bailey carries a much bigger chance of never becoming an established major leaguer.
    Are Bailey's coachability's issues are a result of us Reds fans being closer to the situation than Hughes? Just curious, I just wonder if they are blown out of proportion because of his potential and his high exposure to Reds fans.

can I pick Cueto?

I picked Bailey.

Cueto's better than both of them though.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    can I pick Cueto?

I picked Bailey.

I agree. But I'm happy to have both in the organization.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    can I pick Cueto?

I picked Bailey.

You can pick Cueto, but your vote won't count lol. I will still go out on a limb and take Baileys career over that of Cueto.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You can pick Cueto, but your vote won't count lol. I will still go out on a limb and take Baileys career over that of Cueto.

care to wager one of FCB's kids on that?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

id take Bailey considering how we have waited it out this far, but if you would have asked me a couple years ago I would have taken Hughes

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Both are from the same class more or less and Hughes just pitched last night against a pretty darn good Detroit offense and gave up 0 runs, 2 hits , 2BB and 6Ks over 6 IP (the type of start Bailey has not matched at the show).

To be fair though, Hughes had previously struggled quite a bit at the show and has shown a propensity to injur easily.

So here's the question...at this very moment, who would you take, Bailey or Hughes and why? You can factor in upside or results or whatever, but the question is asking, who would you take right now?
    In his 3rd career start, Bailey went 7 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 4BB, 3K. Maybe not matched last nights, but it's comparable.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Even Homer Bailey chose Hughes! That's not right!
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

I went with Hughes just barely. My thought is his strength lies in his control which makes him the more likely prospect to get something out of sooner or later. But it's a tight race! BTW I'd take Baileys game vs. the A's a few years back over that Hughes start vs. Detroit. Bailey looked like a future HOF that game.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?