Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 40

Thread: Dusty great manager?

  1. #1
    Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Covington, Ky
    Posts
    337

    Dusty great manager?

    If you were looking at this team, before the season started, and you were to tell me that BP would be in a month long slump to start the season. Votto would have vertigo like symptoms and be out for a few games. Micah Owings was our best pinch hitter. Jay Bruce was only batting .228. and Willy Taveras only had 12 stolen bases. What would you say our record would be? under .500? Dead last in the division, sellers at Memorial day?

    You have to give Dusty some credit. He doesn't always say the right things, heck, he says some things that even he doesn't believe comes out of his mouth, but he motivates these young kids. He has a group of AAA ballplayers, role players, that are just giving him all they have every single game. Some are playing out of their minds out of Position (ie. Ramon Hernandez at 1st.).

    Its not like we are playing mistake free baseball, we are having our errors, we have our mistakes, but we fight, we take pitches, we don't swing at bad pitches. We believe in each other and no matter what, we out hustle the other team. That is motivation, that is a great leader, that is Dusty Baker.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,079

    Re: Dusty great manager?

    Quote Originally Posted by ian_madden View Post
    If you were looking at this team, before the season started, and you were to tell me that BP would be in a month long slump to start the season. Votto would have vertigo like symptoms and be out for a few games. Micah Owings was our best pinch hitter. Jay Bruce was only batting .228. and Willy Taveras only had 12 stolen bases. What would you say our record would be? under .500? Dead last in the division, sellers at Memorial day?

    You have to give Dusty some credit. He doesn't always say the right things, heck, he says some things that even he doesn't believe comes out of his mouth, but he motivates these young kids. He has a group of AAA ballplayers, role players, that are just giving him all they have every single game. Some are playing out of their minds out of Position (ie. Ramon Hernandez at 1st.).

    Its not like we are playing mistake free baseball, we are having our errors, we have our mistakes, but we fight, we take pitches, we don't swing at bad pitches. We believe in each other and no matter what, we out hustle the other team. That is motivation, that is a great leader, that is Dusty Baker.
    While he seemingly makes some decisions that I just can't understand and do not seem to make sense, granted all managers make these decisions because we are all allowed to sit here and second guess them. But one thing Dusty has done this year is put guys in the opportunities to succeed, and also put guys into the fire right when they are called up such as Fisher and Gomes. It seems like whoever he puts where they are performing up to their potential and this has to be a positive reflection of an aspect of Dusty as a manager. Like him or not, you can't deny the performance of a lot of AAA callups and role players this year when given the opportunity just as you mentioned.

  4. #3
    Member mroby85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,282

    Re: Dusty great manager?

    Quote Originally Posted by ian_madden View Post
    If you were looking at this team, before the season started, and you were to tell me that BP would be in a month long slump to start the season. Votto would have vertigo like symptoms and be out for a few games. Micah Owings was our best pinch hitter. Jay Bruce was only batting .228. and Willy Taveras only had 12 stolen bases. What would you say our record would be? under .500? Dead last in the division, sellers at Memorial day?

    You have to give Dusty some credit. He doesn't always say the right things, heck, he says some things that even he doesn't believe comes out of his mouth, but he motivates these young kids. He has a group of AAA ballplayers, role players, that are just giving him all they have every single game. Some are playing out of their minds out of Position (ie. Ramon Hernandez at 1st.).

    Its not like we are playing mistake free baseball, we are having our errors, we have our mistakes, but we fight, we take pitches, we don't swing at bad pitches. We believe in each other and no matter what, we out hustle the other team. That is motivation, that is a great leader, that is Dusty Baker.

    X2, Finally some credit for Dusty! It's very refreshing to see for a change. You have to love how much winning means to him, it's obvious it bothers him when they lose. I like that a lot, and it seems like it's rubbing off on this team!
    Last edited by mroby85; 05-27-2009 at 11:37 AM.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    1,147

    Re: Dusty great manager?

    Quote Originally Posted by ian_madden View Post

    , but we fight, we take pitches, we don't swing at bad pitches. We believe in each other and no matter what, we out hustle the other team. That is motivation, that is a great leader, that is Dusty Baker.

    Or that could be just a change in leadership on the team. Fact that Dunn and Lazy Griffey arent here anymore. And the fact that guys like rosales and Gomes and changing the face of this team.

    I think it has more to do with that than dusty baker.

    If it doesnt have to do with that why didnt we see this type of attitude and hustle last year. Did dusty change>? No. The team changed.

    You think dusty has anything to do with rosales mindset on how he was going to play the game. Rosales was the kind of player he was before he came up. We have a bunch of young kids fighting for a position and loving playing this game.

  6. #5
    Member mroby85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,282

    Re: Dusty great manager?

    Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post
    Or that could be just a change in leadership on the team. Fact that Dunn and Lazy Griffey arent here anymore. And the fact that guys like rosales and Gomes and changing the face of this team.

    I think it has more to do with that than dusty baker.

    If it doesnt have to do with that why didnt we see this type of attitude and hustle last year. Did dusty change>? No. The team changed.

    You think dusty has anything to do with rosales mindset on how he was going to play the game. Rosales was the kind of player he was before he came up. We have a bunch of young kids fighting for a position and loving playing this game.
    I agree with you to some extent, but I think Dusty deserves some credit as well. Last year was also his first year there, and he was trying to change the attitude of losing, that can take some time. I think he's done a fine job, but I do agree losing Griffey and Dunn was addition by subtraction. In some interviews during the spring Dusty said that they needed to change what they had done the last several years because it didn't work (speaking of Griffey and Dunn) so he may deserve some of that credit wanting a different style of team, and not pushing to bring those guys back. He's also a 3 time manager of the year, so it's not like he's not proven himself as a manager.
    Last edited by mroby85; 05-27-2009 at 11:43 AM.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    1,154

    Re: Dusty great manager?

    Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post
    Or that could be just a change in leadership on the team. Fact that Dunn and Lazy Griffey arent here anymore. And the fact that guys like rosales and Gomes and changing the face of this team.

    I think it has more to do with that than dusty baker.

    If it doesnt have to do with that why didnt we see this type of attitude and hustle last year. Did dusty change>? No. The team changed.

    You think dusty has anything to do with rosales mindset on how he was going to play the game. Rosales was the kind of player he was before he came up. We have a bunch of young kids fighting for a position and loving playing this game.
    I have watched baseball since about 1961, and I have never seen a manager who wants to win as much as Dusty Baker. He should get his share of credit for this team's early success.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    1,147

    Re: Dusty great manager?

    Quote Originally Posted by roby View Post
    I have watched baseball since about 1961, and I have never seen a manager who wants to win as much as Dusty Baker. He should get his share of credit for this team's early success.
    So your saying dusty baker has the most WANT TO WIN attitude you have ever seen from your television and your seat in the stands dating back to 1961. >?

    Im not so sure about that one.

    As a matter of fact i know of thousands of people from the chicago area that would laugh at that thought.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Dusty great manager?

    No hes not.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    1,147

    Re: Dusty great manager?

    Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    I agree with you to some extent, but I think Dusty deserves some credit as well. Last year was also his first year there, and he was trying to change the attitude of losing, that can take some time. I think he's done a fine job, but I do agree losing Griffey and Dunn was addition by subtraction. In some interviews during the spring Dusty said that they needed to change what they had done the last several years because it didn't work (speaking of Griffey and Dunn) so he may deserve some of that credit wanting a different style of team, and not pushing to bring those guys back. He's also a 3 time manager of the year, so it's not like he's not proven himself as a manager.
    I agree as well.

    Im not saying he has NOTHING to do with it.

    But he certainly doesnt have Everything to do with it. As the OP was coming across.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chapel Hill NC
    Posts
    3,246

    Re: Dusty great manager?

    Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post
    So your saying dusty baker has the most WANT TO WIN attitude you have ever seen from your television and your seat in the stands dating back to 1961. >?

    Im not so sure about that one.

    As a matter of fact i know of thousands of people from the chicago area that would laugh at that thought.
    There are thousands of MLB managers in Chicago??
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    1,147

    Re: Dusty great manager?

    Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    There are thousands of MLB managers in Chicago??

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Weatherford, Texas
    Posts
    2,125

    Re: Dusty great manager?

    I think Jim Leyland, Bruce Bochy, and Lou Pinniella are good Managers... Dusty is a second tier Manager... Good for a Veteran Club... Maybe like the 1990's Tigers.

  14. #13
    Dude Rock
    Guest

    Re: Dusty great manager?

    Dusty frustrates me some times, but I'll admit I take some things for granted. Sometimes the best move is no move, and Dusty does have patience with his pitchers and hitters. I was sooooo glad he took Lincoln out when he did last night. I feared he would leave him in longer to get even more shelled. I was frustrated with Owings, and wanted a Sparky Andersen yank of him, but Dusty stuck with him and got 5 innings out of him. I probably would have yanked him sooner knowing we have Thursday off. But hindsight is 20/20.

    Also, if I were manager, my unwillingness to give player's a longer leash would probably not endear me much to them. These players like Dusty and maybe his longer leash has them playing harder for him.

  15. #14
    Dude Rock
    Guest

    Re: Dusty great manager?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    I think Jim Leyland, Bruce Bochy, and Lou Pinniella are good Managers... Dusty is a second tier Manager... Good for a Veteran Club... Maybe like the 1990's Tigers.
    I think Lou is overrated. I know he managed us to a World Series title, but I still think he is overrated. He is entertaining though.

  16. #15
    Member mroby85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,282

    Re: Dusty great manager?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dude Rock View Post
    I think Lou is overrated. I know he managed us to a World Series title, but I still think he is overrated. He is entertaining though.
    I agree, everyone always blames Dusty for having loaded teams, but who has been anymore loaded than Lou?

    He had the Seattle team of Griffey, Buhner, Edgar, Randy Johnson, Ayala, etc, and is now with the Cubs who are as talented as any team in baseball. He basically just quit in Tampa because he couldn't win there without talent.

    I wasn't around to see the 90 WS which is probably why I feel this way, but since i've been alive, all i've seen from Lou is hype, and no titles.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25