Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 40

Thread: Dusty great manager?

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    500

    Re: Dusty great manager?

    An MLB Manager has two main roles:

    Strategy and Keeping the Troops Happy.

    Dusty is a pretty good babysitter but sucks with the lineup card.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    132

    Re: Dusty great manager?

    Good post. I too like Dusty, and enjoy reading about more good than bad on this board.
    2010 Attendance Record: 7-4
    2009 Attendance Record: 14-16



    Stop! Homer time!!

  4. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    133

    Re: Dusty great manager?

    Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post
    As a matter of fact i know of thousands of people from the chicago area that would laugh at that thought.
    My friends in Chicago have a not-so-flattering nickname for him and it's not Dusty "one batter too late" Baker.

  5. #19
    We Need Our Myths reds1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Overlooking GABP
    Posts
    4,447

    Re: Dusty great manager?

    I don't agree with a large chunk of what the man does, but I won't deny that he wins more often than not. I would make totally different decisions that are much more statistically oriented, but who's to say I would do any better than Baker? As long as he wins, I can't complain. There will never be a manager I agree with 100% unless I miraculously become a big league skipper. But then I would probably just second guess myself, too!

  6. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    way-east of cincinnati
    Posts
    1,164

    Re: Dusty great manager?

    From the start of last year, I've had a wait and see attitude about Dusty. Can't hold last year against him, because of the lack of good team leadership last year, (as someone earlier posted inre Dunn, Griffey they had prima donna 'tudes). Dusty said that wasn't his team. Well, he talks like he likes this team, and that talk started all the way back in the middle of ST, like this is more "his team". Seems like he has made more good decisions than bad ones so far. C'mon, so far so good..

  7. #21
    Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Covington, Ky
    Posts
    337

    Re: Dusty great manager?

    Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I don't agree with a large chunk of what the man does, but I won't deny that he wins more often than not. I would make totally different decisions that are much more statistically oriented, but who's to say I would do any better than Baker? As long as he wins, I can't complain. There will never be a manager I agree with 100% unless I miraculously become a big league skipper. But then I would probably just second guess myself, too!
    We have had the managers that went with the lefty on lefty match up and the right on righty match up (ie. Narron, Boone.). How did that turn out? When the player/pitcher is going well or hot, go with who is hot, (ie, Rhodes, Weathers (whom we all did not think was that great last year)), Did anyone expect that Rhodes or weather would be our "nasty boys" of the 21st century? They are doing amazing. Once again give credit where credit is due.

    Dusty=great manager.

    He is the best manager here since Old man Jack.

  8. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,079

    Re: Dusty great manager?

    Quote Originally Posted by demas863 View Post
    My friends in Chicago have a not-so-flattering nickname for him and it's not Dusty "one batter too late" Baker.
    Those fans will blame anyone but the players and organization themselves, Dusty took them further than they have been in a long time.

  9. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    1,154

    Re: Dusty great manager?

    Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post
    So your saying dusty baker has the most WANT TO WIN attitude you have ever seen from your television and your seat in the stands dating back to 1961. >?

    Im not so sure about that one.

    As a matter of fact i know of thousands of people from the chicago area that would laugh at that thought.
    Chicago Cubs fans are not my favorites, so I'm not sure of what to do with this information.

  10. #24
    Dude Rock
    Guest

    Re: Dusty great manager?

    Quote Originally Posted by roby View Post
    Chicago Cubs fans are not my favorites, so I'm not sure of what to do with this information.
    Kinda hard to take Cubs fans seriously when I pretty much just laugh at them all the time.

  11. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    1,154

    Re: Dusty great manager?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dude Rock View Post
    Kinda hard to take Cubs fans seriously when I pretty much just laugh at them all the time.
    My thoughts exactly, Dude!

  12. #26
    Schnickelfritz BurgervilleBuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Wyldur
    Posts
    725

    Re: Dusty great manager?

    Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post
    As a matter of fact i know of thousands of people from the chicago area that would laugh at that thought.
    Yah, let's take advice from a team that believes a billy goat is keeping them from winning a World Series.
    That Joey Votto is some kind of Man Candy!

    "For them to boo me like that, it lets me know they dream about me at night. -- Brandon Phillips on Cards fans.

  13. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    285

    Re: Dusty great manager?

    this will be a good test for Baker

  14. #28
    I Hate Cleveland fugowitribe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cambridge, Ohio
    Posts
    195

    Re: Dusty great manager?

    Quote Originally Posted by ian_madden View Post
    That is motivation, that is a great leader, that is Dusty Baker.
    That is a great motivator.....not a great manager. You are talking a bout the same guy who pinch hit Chris "explicit word here" Dickerson in a one run ballgame with runners on first and second and nobody out. I haven't had the chance to blow up on that move for a couple of days due to business, but REALLY!? Why not let Arroyo or someone who can bunt lay it down and advance them to second and third and then pinch hit Dickerson for Taveras. even if he hits that worthless ground ball, he scores the run.....instead we have a DP turned on us and a runner on third with 2 outs and the slumping Willy Taveras due up. Worst decision I have ever seen him make. You can credit decent pitching to the record we have right now. Dusty's motivation helps, but how hard is it to motivate a bunch of younger guys to do what they have dreamed of their entire lives? IMO Dusty is a cocky manager who likes to "stick to his guns" even when they have proved that they don't shoot. Need an example: COREY PATTERSON, CHRIS DICKERSON, MIKE LINCOLN. Dusty wants to be Manager of the year when Dickerson blows up and helps the team win, but won't acknowledge the terrrible decisions he makes after they Slump for 1/3 of the season.
    WE DON'T, WE DON'T, WE DON'T MESS AROUND HEY!

  15. #29
    Retro-Gamer Krawhitham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,719

    Re: Dusty great manager?

    He has made some bone headed moves no other manager would make and he has made moves that all manager would make, does that make him great?

  16. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4,398

    Re: Dusty great manager?

    Quote Originally Posted by fugowitribe View Post
    That is a great motivator.....not a great manager. You are talking a bout the same guy who pinch hit Chris "explicit word here" Dickerson in a one run ballgame with runners on first and second and nobody out. I haven't had the chance to blow up on that move for a couple of days due to business, but REALLY!? Why not let Arroyo or someone who can bunt lay it down and advance them to second and third and then pinch hit Dickerson for Taveras. even if he hits that worthless ground ball, he scores the run.....instead we have a DP turned on us and a runner on third with 2 outs and the slumping Willy Taveras due up. Worst decision I have ever seen him make. You can credit decent pitching to the record we have right now. Dusty's motivation helps, but how hard is it to motivate a bunch of younger guys to do what they have dreamed of their entire lives? IMO Dusty is a cocky manager who likes to "stick to his guns" even when they have proved that they don't shoot. Need an example: COREY PATTERSON, CHRIS DICKERSON, MIKE LINCOLN. Dusty wants to be Manager of the year when Dickerson blows up and helps the team win, but won't acknowledge the terrrible decisions he makes after they Slump for 1/3 of the season.
    Gee, he pinch hit Dickerson in a one run game. Well you certainly convinced me. What a dope that Dusty Baker is. You certainly have proven your point. What a horrible decision.

    And I bet you complained about this before the move failed too. If not, that would make you a second guesser, and nobody around here ever does that do they?


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25