Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dusty great manager?

Re: Dusty great manager?

An MLB Manager has two main roles:

Strategy and Keeping the Troops Happy.

Dusty is a pretty good babysitter but sucks with the lineup card.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Good post. I too like Dusty, and enjoy reading about more good than bad on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post
    As a matter of fact i know of thousands of people from the chicago area that would laugh at that thought.
    My friends in Chicago have a not-so-flattering nickname for him and it's not Dusty "one batter too late" Baker.

I don't agree with a large chunk of what the man does, but I won't deny that he wins more often than not. I would make totally different decisions that are much more statistically oriented, but who's to say I would do any better than Baker? As long as he wins, I can't complain. There will never be a manager I agree with 100% unless I miraculously become a big league skipper. But then I would probably just second guess myself, too!

From the start of last year, I've had a wait and see attitude about Dusty. Can't hold last year against him, because of the lack of good team leadership last year, (as someone earlier posted inre Dunn, Griffey they had prima donna 'tudes). Dusty said that wasn't his team. Well, he talks like he likes this team, and that talk started all the way back in the middle of ST, like this is more "his team". Seems like he has made more good decisions than bad ones so far. C'mon, so far so good..

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I don't agree with a large chunk of what the man does, but I won't deny that he wins more often than not. I would make totally different decisions that are much more statistically oriented, but who's to say I would do any better than Baker? As long as he wins, I can't complain. There will never be a manager I agree with 100% unless I miraculously become a big league skipper. But then I would probably just second guess myself, too!
    We have had the managers that went with the lefty on lefty match up and the right on righty match up (ie. Narron, Boone.). How did that turn out? When the player/pitcher is going well or hot, go with who is hot, (ie, Rhodes, Weathers (whom we all did not think was that great last year)), Did anyone expect that Rhodes or weather would be our "nasty boys" of the 21st century? They are doing amazing. Once again give credit where credit is due.

Dusty=great manager.

He is the best manager here since Old man Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by demas863 View Post
    My friends in Chicago have a not-so-flattering nickname for him and it's not Dusty "one batter too late" Baker.
    Those fans will blame anyone but the players and organization themselves, Dusty took them further than they have been in a long time.

So your saying dusty baker has the most WANT TO WIN attitude you have ever seen from your television and your seat in the stands dating back to 1961. >?

Im not so sure about that one.

As a matter of fact i know of thousands of people from the chicago area that would laugh at that thought.
    Chicago Cubs fans are not my favorites, so I'm not sure of what to do with this information.

Dude Rock

Quote Originally Posted by roby View Post
    Chicago Cubs fans are not my favorites, so I'm not sure of what to do with this information.
    Kinda hard to take Cubs fans seriously when I pretty much just laugh at them all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude Rock View Post
    Kinda hard to take Cubs fans seriously when I pretty much just laugh at them all the time.
    My thoughts exactly, Dude!

Schnickelfritz

Yah, let's take advice from a team that believes a billy goat is keeping them from winning a World Series.

this will be a good test for Baker

Quote Originally Posted by ian_madden View Post
    That is motivation, that is a great leader, that is Dusty Baker.
    That is a great motivator.....not a great manager. You are talking a bout the same guy who pinch hit Chris "explicit word here" Dickerson in a one run ballgame with runners on first and second and nobody out. I haven't had the chance to blow up on that move for a couple of days due to business, but REALLY!? Why not let Arroyo or someone who can bunt lay it down and advance them to second and third and then pinch hit Dickerson for Taveras. even if he hits that worthless ground ball, he scores the run.....instead we have a DP turned on us and a runner on third with 2 outs and the slumping Willy Taveras due up. Worst decision I have ever seen him make. You can credit decent pitching to the record we have right now. Dusty's motivation helps, but how hard is it to motivate a bunch of younger guys to do what they have dreamed of their entire lives? IMO Dusty is a cocky manager who likes to "stick to his guns" even when they have proved that they don't shoot. Need an example: COREY PATTERSON, CHRIS DICKERSON, MIKE LINCOLN. Dusty wants to be Manager of the year when Dickerson blows up and helps the team win, but won't acknowledge the terrrible decisions he makes after they Slump for 1/3 of the season.
    WE DON'T, WE DON'T, WE DON'T MESS AROUND HEY!

He has made some bone headed moves no other manager would make and he has made moves that all manager would make, does that make him great?

Quote Originally Posted by fugowitribe View Post
    That is a great motivator.....not a great manager. You are talking a bout the same guy who pinch hit Chris "explicit word here" Dickerson in a one run ballgame with runners on first and second and nobody out. I haven't had the chance to blow up on that move for a couple of days due to business, but REALLY!? Why not let Arroyo or someone who can bunt lay it down and advance them to second and third and then pinch hit Dickerson for Taveras. even if he hits that worthless ground ball, he scores the run.....instead we have a DP turned on us and a runner on third with 2 outs and the slumping Willy Taveras due up. Worst decision I have ever seen him make. You can credit decent pitching to the record we have right now. Dusty's motivation helps, but how hard is it to motivate a bunch of younger guys to do what they have dreamed of their entire lives? IMO Dusty is a cocky manager who likes to "stick to his guns" even when they have proved that they don't shoot. Need an example: COREY PATTERSON, CHRIS DICKERSON, MIKE LINCOLN. Dusty wants to be Manager of the year when Dickerson blows up and helps the team win, but won't acknowledge the terrrible decisions he makes after they Slump for 1/3 of the season.
    Gee, he pinch hit Dickerson in a one run game. Well you certainly convinced me. What a dope that Dusty Baker is. You certainly have proven your point. What a horrible decision.

And I bet you complained about this before the move failed too. If not, that would make you a second guesser, and nobody around here ever does that do they?

Turn Off Ads?