Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 153

Thread: Buster Olney says Reds looking for outfield help!!

  1. #136
    Socratic Gadfly TheNext44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    4,228

    Re: Buster Olney says Reds looking for outfield help!!

    The Reds really are just one big bat in LF away from being a serious contender. That bat is needed even more now that Votto is out.

    Jocketty has already said as much, and he usually accomplishes what he desires. The Reds will get a big bat this year, it just is a matter of who and when.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #137
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,655

    Re: Buster Olney says Reds looking for outfield help!!

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    The Reds really are just one big bat in LF away from being a serious contender. That bat is needed even more now that Votto is out.

    Jocketty has already said as much, and he usually accomplishes what he desires. The Reds will get a big bat this year, it just is a matter of who and when.
    I think its a long shot at best that the Reds will increase payroll significantly and it's likely they'll try to ride out the storm by relying on their rotation.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  4. #138
    Socratic Gadfly TheNext44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    4,228

    Re: Buster Olney says Reds looking for outfield help!!

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I think its a long shot at best that the Reds will increase payroll significantly and it's likely they'll try to ride out the storm by relying on their rotation.
    I agree with the first part, and kinda the second. If the Reds start to falter, even a bit, Cast will tell Jocketty to pull the trigger.

    There are decent upgrades available for not much salary addition. And even guys like Holiday, would only be for a few months. This close to a winner, I can't see Cast letting the team fade away. But I've been wrong before.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

  5. #139
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: Buster Olney says Reds looking for outfield help!!

    Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    The ballpark has something to do with that too: ERA+ 112, OPS+ 92. The pitching has been significantly better than the hitting so far.

    I really feel like the hitting was due to slip too even before Votto went out, with Votto, Phillips, Hairston, Nix, Hanigan all performing above expectations (and just EdE and Gonzalez due for improvements).

    It's not that I think the pitching is anything amazing, IMO it will end the year as an average to slightly above average bunch, but I think that will be enough to make the Reds significantly better at preventing runs than scoring them.
    We might not yet be where we'd like to be. However when I look at our staff the next thing I look at is the opposition. And frankly that makes us one of the better (starting) staffs in the NL. If we don't finish in the top 3rd I'll be shocked and that too me is better than slightly above average.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  6. #140
    Bread Gloves Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,307

    Re: Buster Olney says Reds looking for outfield help!!

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    I agree with the first part, and kinda the second. If the Reds start to falter, even a bit, Cast will tell Jocketty to pull the trigger.

    There are decent upgrades available for not much salary addition. And even guys like Holiday, would only be for a few months. This close to a winner, I can't see Cast letting the team fade away. But I've been wrong before.
    I don't know. I haven't really seen any evidence of Cast wanting to spend the kind of money it's going to take. If he was willing to spend the kind of money to get a big bat why didn't he do it before the season? He went with the cheap cop-out and signed Willy T. So instead of spending more money and getting value he wasted six million so he could say "hey, we tried."

  7. #141
    High five! nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    6,976

    Re: Buster Olney says Reds looking for outfield help!!

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    The Reds really are just one big bat in LF away from being a serious contender. That bat is needed even more now that Votto is out.

    Jocketty has already said as much, and he usually accomplishes what he desires. The Reds will get a big bat this year, it just is a matter of who and when.
    I dunno. I'm thinking the Reds are more like two big bats (and that's if Votto comes back), one rotation arm and a bullpen arm away from being SERIOUS contenders.

    To be "if everything goes right" contenders, maybe the one bat will be enough.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

  8. #142
    smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,001

    Re: Buster Olney says Reds looking for outfield help!!

    Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I dunno. I'm thinking the Reds are more like two big bats (and that's if Votto comes back), one rotation arm and a bullpen arm away from being SERIOUS contenders.

    To be "if everything goes right" contenders, maybe the one bat will be enough.
    Thats a pretty good assessment, IMHO.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

  9. #143
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,516

    Re: Buster Olney says Reds looking for outfield help!!

    Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I dunno. I'm thinking the Reds are more like two big bats (and that's if Votto comes back), one rotation arm and a bullpen arm away from being SERIOUS contenders.

    To be "if everything goes right" contenders, maybe the one bat will be enough.
    Good assessment. I think one bat could be enough if Votto comes back, Phillips maintains a decent level of OPS against righties, and EE can get back in a couple of weeks and put up something like 2008 numbers the rest of the way. Since I think it's unlikely all these will happen, I think it's more like 2 additional bats. I'm not sure we need another rotation arm as much as we need more experience across much of the rotation (3/5 of it to be precise) and we're going to need more bullpen depth. Also, the division is pretty strong and I just don't see the wildcard coming from the Central this year--or, to put that otherwise, I don't see how both Phil. and NYM don't make it, particularly with all those games against Wash.

  10. #144
    Member Reds/Flyers Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cincinnati USA
    Posts
    3,379

    Re: Buster Olney says Reds looking for outfield help!!

    If Holliday does come here via trade in the next month or two, what are the chances he signs here long-term ala Mark McGwire in St. Louis in the '90s? Similar situations: both big right-handed sluggers, both with the A's, both traded to a Midwest team that wears red

  11. #145
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,245

    Re: Buster Olney says Reds looking for outfield help!!

    Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I dunno. I'm thinking the Reds are more like two big bats (and that's if Votto comes back), one rotation arm and a bullpen arm away from being SERIOUS contenders.

    To be "if everything goes right" contenders, maybe the one bat will be enough.
    Bingo. We're much closer than we've been in the past, but not there yet. I prefer if we just hold down the fort for the majority of this year and let the young players develop. The only transactions I want to see are minor leaguers getting the occasional shot. If we're really in the thick of things come the trade deadline, I wouldn't mind us going for a bat...but only if it's not too expensive in terms of young talent.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  12. #146
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,346

    Re: Buster Olney says Reds looking for outfield help!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    If Holliday does come here via trade in the next month or two, what are the chances he signs here long-term ala Mark McGwire in St. Louis in the '90s? Similar situations: both big right-handed sluggers, both with the A's, both traded to a Midwest team that wears red

    Who is his agent again?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  13. #147
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,655

    Re: Buster Olney says Reds looking for outfield help!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Who is his agent again?
    Satan (Scott Boras).
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  14. #148
    Member Reds/Flyers Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cincinnati USA
    Posts
    3,379

    Re: Buster Olney says Reds looking for outfield help!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Who is his agent again?
    Touche.

    But then again, the Yankees/Red Sox/Cubs/Dodgers can't sign everybody.

  15. #149
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Bedford, KY
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: Buster Olney says Reds looking for outfield help!!

    And the Mets. Don't forget the Mets.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

  16. #150
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,516

    Re: Buster Olney says Reds looking for outfield help!!

    Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Bingo. We're much closer than we've been in the past, but not there yet. I prefer if we just hold down the fort for the majority of this year and let the young players develop. The only transactions I want to see are minor leaguers getting the occasional shot. If we're really in the thick of things come the trade deadline, I wouldn't mind us going for a bat...but only if it's not too expensive in terms of young talent.

    My position exactly.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25