Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Buster Olney says Reds looking for outfield help!!

Re: Buster Olney says Reds looking for outfield help!!

Here is my list of players who may become available by the trading deadline, who might help the Reds. I've tried to make it as inclusive as possible, so there might be a few who are questionable.

Matt Holliday
    Mark DeRosa
    Jermaine Dye
    Josh Willingham
    Jeremy Hermida
    Ben Francisco
    Jose Guillen
    Adrien Beltre
    Keven Kouzmanoff
    Scott Hairston
    Carlos Lee
    Aubrey Huff

Feel free to add names that I might have left off.

I think that Jocketty should be able to get someone off that list, especially since the Reds now have some depth in their minor league system.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

2. Turn Off Ads?

How about something along the lines of this?
    Zimmerman and Johnson (we'd move Votto to LF) for EE, Alonso, Bailey and Maloney.

Or we look to do something adding Guzman and AGonz to the mix as well? Obviously we'd need to come up with the salary differences or get WAS to pitch in some $$. But I think Zimmerman, Johnson and Guzman all would add value to our team and be guys worth targeting. If I was getting 2 of those guys, I'd be willing to give up Alonso in the deal.

Folks, the Nats aren't trading Zimmerman. What it would take to get the Nats to bite would not be the type of deal that would help the other team. They have to give their fans some reason to come to the ballpark to watch what is sizing up to be a historically bad team.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Folks, the Nats aren't trading Zimmerman. What it would take to get the Nats to bite would not be the type of deal that would help the other team. They have to give their fans some reason to come to the ballpark to watch what is sizing up to be a historically bad team.
    Agreed. I can't think of a player that is more loved by his team's fans than Zimmerman. Trading him would destroy their fan base.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Guys, guys, guys.

You want Zimmerman? Be preapred to give up one of the following: Bruce, Cueto, Volquez, Votto.

If we had Zimmerman, would you guys be coming out looking to deal him for a bucket of suspects?

I wouldn't mess with this team right now. Maybe by the end of June things will be different.

Well looking at the list of guys to help us, I'm pretty sure Walt is still going to go with a RH bat to fill the LF spot. Guys that I like are gonna be guys that don't cost us the farm, but could be solid additions to the LF spot. They are:

1)Scott Hairston
    2)Mark DeRosa
    3)Josh Willingham
    4)Michael Cuddyer--is my choice, his contract is 7.5 million per season, but I would like his RH bat in LF. I think the Twins would be willing to trade him for the right Offensive prospects, but if I'm Walt I make no trade unless they are going to accept Mike Lincoln's contract to close the salary disparity. So I offer this:

Reds trade-Mike Lincoln, Drew Stubbs, and Juan Francisco

Twins trade-Michael Cuddyer

thoughts?

WAY too much for Cuddyer.

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

The Reds dynamic team chemistry is a wonderful thing to behold!!! But I temper my enthusiasm right now fully aware that the month of May's prosperity is matched 180 degrees by April's month long dismal beginnings. This Reds team can be THIS (May) GOOD and THAT (April) BAD. Jermaine Dye would look very nice in Red and leftfield in Cincinnati and not for the White Sox during their interleague games here.

Just think where the Reds would be had we signed Raul Ibanez and his great start happened here instead of the Phillies being the beneficiaries.

Gomes has been a player that eats, drinks and sleeps baseball and a type of player that we have sorely needed. Votto fits that mold too. Nix has made some nice catches after Dickerson made what should have been 3 errors in LF about 3 or 4 weeks ago during one game. Nix has had some timely hits too. Ultimately though, it will be proven that Gomes and Nix are role/off-the-bench players and not full-time stars like we need. As Homer fails in chance after chance with the Reds and Dye continues to do well, year after year, White Sox GM Kenny Williams will want considerably more than what was rumored over last winter- Jermaine Dye for Homer Bailey: 1 for 1. Jocketty should strike while this Reds team looks good to other GMs. I think Jocketty will do something between now and the all-star game in addressing either LF or 3rd base & maybe both. Stay tuned Reds fans!!!

I even like Dickerson a few starts out there. He can hit and he has nice speed. I'm not so sure we need another big bat OF. Heck, if anything maybe another bullpen arm - I worry with the age of Stormy and AR. EE comes back give you more pop of an occational starter and PH off the bench or not - I'm not sure on EE, but anyways it's fun to watch right now.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    WAY too much for Cuddyer.
    I hope the Twins would feel that way. A reliever who is stinking it up, a 3B prospect who is likely never gonna play on a big league field and Stubbs who has plenty of question marks himself.

Count me in as an EE & something for Beltre though. Also would still love to nab Hairston on the cheap as well. Time to cash in some of these chips that continue to plummet in value, Francisco, Bailey, Maloney, Stubbs, Valaika etc. I said leading up to last offseason that then was the time to make those deals now we lose precious value by the day.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 05-28-2009 at 02:01 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post

Count me in as an EE & something for Beltre though. Also would still love to nab Hairston on the cheap as well. Time to cash in some of these chips that continue to plummet in value, Francisco, Bailey, Maloney, Stubbs, Valaika etc. I said leading up to last offseason that then was the time to make those deals now we lose precious value by the day.
    I don't really understand wanting Beltre. He's currently OPSing .562, his career OPS is lower than EE's career OPS and he's older. With his salary plus whoever we'd have to send along with Edwin to get him; I'd rather take my chances with Edwin. But there's a good chance I'm missing something.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

When we here at RZ are allowing prospective trade partners to back up the truck, I'm awfully glad we're not the GM. I understand we have chips to trade, but I'm not emptying the coffers as we suggest here from time to time.
    Last edited by redsmetz; 05-28-2009 at 03:43 AM.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

I'd give the Nix/Gomes platoon more time. Doesn't seem broke yet, so I'm not fixing it.

The Reds need a SS more than OF help.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Turn Off Ads?