Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Buster Olney says Reds looking for outfield help!!

Re: Buster Olney says Reds looking for outfield help!!

If GoNix has left nailed down, the only immediate problem is the defense on the left side of the infield.

A cheaper alternative to Beltre is Joe Crede. Then maybe you could move EdE to the Giants (who could play him at first) for Burriss and more.

Yes, the Reds would be loosing the best bat, but Burris/Crede would probably beat Gonzalez/Rosales at the plate and would definitely best them in the field.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Don't toy with me...

We had Branyan before, IIRC he struggled with some injuries, and we turned over the 3B job to Brandon Larson and Aaron Boone.

Now if we ended up getting Branyan back...

... nah, that would never work, his strikeouts would piss off far too many people
    Branyan would not be the starting 3rd baseman..Olney said they are looking for an outfielder.. True that he can play 3rd/1st/RF/LF. and be a huge bat off the bench.. just an idea i was throwing out there.. I always liked him and it seems he is getting it together with the average which he never did before and he has a 1.4 mil contract (only 700,000 if we got him at the trading deadline).. just an idea..

and per another idea Joe Crede is hurt again.. he is a huge risk i dont want!!

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Re: fyi

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    As far as pure offensive production this year, your trade candidate leaders from these eleven are Adam Dunn, Russell Branyan, Brad Hawpe, and Nick Johnson. This year's top pitchers from these non-contenders include Mark Buehrle, Matt Cain, Wandy Rodriguez, Erik Bedard, Jarrod Washburn, and Doug Davis. I'm not sure whether Buehrle, Cain, and Rodriguez will actually hit the market.
    I would give Bailey and Alonso for Cain. A victim of atrocious run support in his career, IMO he could step in as the 2nd or 3rd best starter on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    I would give Bailey and Alonso for Cain. A victim of atrocious run support in his career, IMO he could step in as the 2nd or 3rd best starter on the team.
    Brian Sabean almost never re-stocks his minor league system. He'll be looking for big league contributors.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Brian Sabean almost never re-stocks his minor league system. He'll be looking for big league contributors.
    It's the Giants. Alonso is a big league contributor there.

Wonder if Bailey, JHJ and PTBNL would get it done? Whatever the case, if I'm Walt, I'm on the phone working a deal today. Imagine Cueto, Cain & Volquez for the next decade or so.

Here are Yonder Alonso's numbers for May: .349/.432/.554/.986. I'd urge a moratorium (a permanent one, IMHO) on suggested trades involving Alonso.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Here are Yonder Alonso's numbers for May: .349/.432/.554/.986. I'd urge a moratorium (a permanent one, IMHO) on suggested trades involving Alonso.
    Sorry, but he has nowhere to play in Cincinnati and is the most valuable trading chip the Reds own. If Walt is shopping for an impact bat, I would assume Alonso would be part of those discussions.

And those numbers are in A-ball.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    IMO, no player in untradeable if you think your team can win this year. When Alonso comes up, who knows what shape the team will be in? The team could have a weaker bullpen, as Weathers, Rhodes, etc. age. Or the rotation could be much different if as Harang & Arroyo get older.

I'd rather go to the playoffs this year than not make a move for the sake of one prospect's potential. And in the example of this trade (Cain) the player received is also relatively young and could help the team just as much in future years.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    Sorry, but he has nowhere to play in Cincinnati and is the most valuable trading chip the Reds own. If Walt is shopping for an impact bat, I would assume Alonso would be part of those discussions.

And those numbers are in A-ball.
    Pujols played 3b and LF, poorly I might add, before they found a home for him at first because "there was nowhere for him to play" when he came up.

With the current outlook on offense, mentioning Yonder as drafted for trade bait (give a major league contract to trade bait?) just really doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If he can hit as projected, they will gladly find a place for him to play in Cincinnati, with Votto to LF making the most sense, all things equal as of today.

What if we don't need that LF Bat?

I don't think this team will be the same without JHJ in the lineup. He needs to play 5/6 days a week. If Edwin sits, Edwin sits. If Nix/Gomes sit they sit. Simple as that. Whatever we do I think we need to keep JHJ in the lineup.
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

I hope we don't keep Yonder out in 2010 to keep JHJ in.

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    [cough]Third base[/cough]

[cough]Left Field[/cough]

[cough]Platoon[/cough]
    Walt's philosophy is very clear and it includes solid defense. He won't put Branyan in LF or 3B. That would be a downgrade defensively and Walt doesn't generally tolerate that.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    IMO, no player in untradeable if you think your team can win this year. When Alonso comes up, who knows what shape the team will be in? The team could have a weaker bullpen, as Weathers, Rhodes, etc. age. Or the rotation could be much different if as Harang & Arroyo get older.

I'd rather go to the playoffs this year than not make a move for the sake of one prospect's potential. And in the example of this trade (Cain) the player received is also relatively young and could help the team just as much in future years.
    Just remember to keep the BIG PICTURE in mind here. I don't think ANYBODY wants the Reds to make it to the playoffs this year and then not sniff it again the rest of the decade. In order to make it this year, I think it'll cost us too much as we've still got a few too many holes to fill. I know we fans have had to wait a long time for some postseason action, but as long as the team is improving and making strides towards the postseason...waiting another year won't be too painful. Not if it means we'll be there consistantly for several years in the near future.

While Alonso is high on the radars of Reds' fans...on the national level, he's gone pretty much unnoticed because he's still in A-ball. I think many here are overestimating his trade value as of right now. Don't get me wrong, I think he's going to be a stud...but IF we're going to deal him, now isn't the time to do it. Not yet.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Pujols played 3b and LF, poorly I might add, before they found a home for him at first because "there was nowhere for him to play" when he came up.

With the current outlook on offense, mentioning Yonder as drafted for trade bait (give a major league contract to trade bait?) just really doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If he can hit as projected, they will gladly find a place for him to play in Cincinnati, with Votto to LF making the most sense, all things equal as of today.
    I also think that he was drafted because he was the best player available and the team would be willing to deal him if they couldn't find a spot for him. But the MLB contract...that was the ONLY way they were going to sign the guy. I don't think that will make them even think twice about trading him or not.

I'll predict we do not trade Alonso because Walt Jocketty knows a franchise player when he has one and that everybody around the league is well aware of Alonso and would love to take him off our hands.

Turn Off Ads?