Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Buster Olney says Reds looking for outfield help!!

Re: Buster Olney says Reds looking for outfield help!!

I'm guessing he goes before August.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Just remember to keep the BIG PICTURE in mind here. I don't think ANYBODY wants the Reds to make it to the playoffs this year and then not sniff it again the rest of the decade.
    I couldn't disagree with you more. I think everyone here (except you possibly :-) )would be thrilled if the Reds make it to the playoffs. Your opportunity to make postseason play only comes around every so often and it's better to make it for one year than wimp out and still not make it for another 10 years---which is a very verifiable possibility.

Rem

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Okay, maybe I wasn't clear. I DO want to make the playoffs and I'd be thrilled if we did. I just don't want to see the club mortgage the future to do it. Clearer?

I'm all for making some moves if we're right there in the thick of things...but I don't want to see us sell low on someone like Alonso this early in the season when we clearly still don't know where we'll be in August. And one move won't come close to filling all the holes on this club. It'll take more than adding Cain...and that's like one of the last moves I'd consider. I don't have a problem with adding a nice starter, but we've got more pressing problems to address than that.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 05-30-2009 at 02:44 PM.

Okay, maybe I wasn't clear. I DO want to make the playoffs and I'd be thrilled if we did. I just don't want to see the club mortgage the future to do it. Clearer?

They'e 1.5 games out of first, and are actually on the plus side of Pythagoras. Oh, AND it's been a LONG time between playoff appearances. I think you have to go for it.

With Votto out, I think you have to roll the dice on Alonso. He needs to be up today. Dusty should bench Taveras and start Dickerson's .365 OBP in CF. And Walt has to get another stick. I know we're supposed to say that there's no way that they'd ever bring Dunn back, but the GM that signed him is gone and the Nats are going nowhere fast.

Being so close at the start of June is what makes last Oct-April so frustrating. There are 58 batters in the majors with an OPS of over .850. Having one more on the roster in place of the .208 .281 .344 line of suck that the LF by committee has given the team would mean being in first at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Being so close at the start of June is what makes last Oct-April so frustrating. There are 58 batters in the majors with an OPS of over .850. Having one more on the roster in place of the .208 .281 .344 line of suck that the LF by committee has given the team would mean being in first at this point.
    Ain't that the truth. The Reds are 5-8 in one run games. Only five teams in the majors have lost more one run games than the Reds. Having another big bat in the lineup could be the difference in being 7-6 in one run games as opposed to 5-8.

This is what happens when you go el-cheapo. Ounce of prevention...
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Winning now vs. staying the course & building for the future brings up an interesting question as to which is more important to fans. I know nothing is guaranteed, but if I could guarantee you the Reds to make the World Series this year but no other playoff appearances in the next 9 seasons, would you take it? Or would you prefer a team that does not make the playoffs this year, but shows improvement over the next 2-3 seasons and makes the playoffs twice with no guarantee of the World Series?

Personally, I'd take the World Series guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Winning now vs. staying the course & building for the future brings up an interesting question as to which is more important to fans. I know nothing is guaranteed, but if I could guarantee you the Reds to make the World Series this year but no other playoff appearances in the next 9 seasons, would you take it? Or would you prefer a team that does not make the playoffs this year, but shows improvement over the next 2-3 seasons and makes the playoffs twice with no guarantee of the World Series?

With this club I would take the other option.

With its rotation and bullpen, this current Reds team would have an excellent chance of making the Series at least once if they made it into the playoffs the next three years.

Also, long term playoff success means more fans, which means more revenue, which means higher payroll, which means more playoff success. With a smart GM like Jocketty, if he can get the Reds into playoff contention two or three years in a row, I think it would be easy for him to keep it up for quite awhile. Look at what happened with Brewers and his Cards.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post

I say why choose? Trading Alonso would likely gaurantee us a nice player in return that will help us win now and in the future. You don't trade that type of prospect unless you get back both IMO. BTW Walt traded only one other major prospect away (Haren) and got at the time a FOR starter (Mulder). Even though that trade didn't much help St. Louis it didn't really hurt them either, they ended up with a W/S anyhow. You don't stop acquiring good players just because you trade one away. Walt just needs to do a better job of finding a guy that doesn't look to be injured in less than 2 years after we get him.

Speaking of Mulder I'd think now is a good time to check in on him if he hasn't signed with someone already. Judging from Bailey, Owings and not having yet seen Maloney we may need another starter.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    They'e 1.5 games out of first, and are actually on the plus side of Pythagoras. Oh, AND it's been a LONG time between playoff appearances. I think you have to go for it.

With Votto out, I think you have to roll the dice on Alonso. He needs to be up today. Dusty should bench Taveras and start Dickerson's .365 OBP in CF. And Walt has to get another stick. I know we're supposed to say that there's no way that they'd ever bring Dunn back, but the GM that signed him is gone and the Nats are going nowhere fast.

And if Votto is out for the majority of the season? Or Phillips? Or Edwin?

It's too early for a "go for broke" attitude IMO. I know people are thirsty for a winner...but NOW is the time for patience. Going for broke now may, MAY, get us to the post season...but it also may set us back a few YEARS in terms of development. Changing tack midstream is exactly what's screwed us in the past. Pick a strategy...AND STICK WITH IT.

Now, if at the trade deadline, we're in the thick of things...absolutely, go for it. But again, with an eye towards the future as well as the present.

Miyagi: Walk on road, hm? Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk middle, sooner or later get squish just like grape
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 05-30-2009 at 06:16 PM.

And if Votto is out for the majority of the season? Or Phillips? Or Edwin?

It's too early for a "go for broke" attitude IMO. I know people are thirsty for a winner...but NOW is the time for patience. Going for broke now may, MAY, get us to the post season...but it also may set us back a few YEARS in terms of development. Changing tack midstream is exactly what's screwed us in the past. Pick a strategy...AND STICK WITH IT.

Now, if at the trade deadline, we're in the thick of things...absolutely, go for it. But again, with an eye towards the future as well as the present.
    Sometimes you pick the year, other times the year picks you.

Reds are right in the thick of the NL Central in both RS and RA. The time to strike is NOW. Walt needs to do his magic and try to get another bat and then try to get some kind of lead in the division, then hold on for dear life.

Picard: "They invade our space, and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds, and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far and no further! And I will make them pay for what they've done!

Alonso's 2 for 2 tonight; he's already a better option than anybody we might acquire.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Alonso's 2 for 2 tonight; he's already a better option than anybody we might acquire.
    I think we're getting a taste of the "Wait-Till-Next-Year" blues; the Reds have thrown their best at Milwaukee, and they're just flat kicking them around.

Might be time to re-think contention strategies, particularly in light of Votto's prolonged absence, the injuries, the strength of the rest of the division.

In fact, I'm certain: no reason to waste an option in what is shaping up to be a lost year.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I think we're getting a taste of the "Wait-Till-Next-Year" blues; the Reds have thrown their best at Milwaukee, and they're just flat kicking them around.

Might be time to re-think contention strategies, particularly in light of Votto's prolonged absence, the injuries, the strength of the rest of the division.

In fact, I'm certain: no reason to waste an option in what is shaping up to be a lost year.
    No Votto, no EE, a catcher at 1B...

I hope that's not the Reds best.

Anyway, it's two games.

Milwaukee will falter in the fall, trust me. Not enough pitching, and not enough resources to get any more. Roughly the same team faded last year and that was with the addition of Sabathia.

They also are not a very good defensive team. Lack of solid run prevention always catches up to a team. They remind me of the 87 Reds.

As long as they keep getting solid pitching, starting and the pen, the Reds will stay in contention. They key is if they go for it and get a big bat near the trading deadline.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    No Votto, no EE, a catcher at 1B...

I hope that's not the Reds best.

Anyway, it's two games.

Milwaukee will falter in the fall, trust me. Not enough pitching, and not enough resources to get any more. Roughly the same team faded last year and that was with the addition of Sabathia.

They also are not a very good defensive team. Lack of solid run prevention always catches up to a team. They remind me of the 87 Reds.

As long as they keep getting solid pitching, starting and the pen, the Reds will stay in contention. They key is if they go for it and get a big bat near the trading deadline.
    The problem is the Reds' pitching hasn't really been all that solid the last few weeks. It's been kind of mixed bag mess. Arroyo--currently pitching his best baseball all season--has a 5.00 + ERA, Harang's getting his warm-weather correction, Owings has been pretty crummy, Volquez has been so-so (but gimpy). Obviously Cueto's been excellent, but that's not enough.

The offense--with Votto--was probably slated to be a bit above NL average, but without, that's probably not going to happen.

Turn Off Ads?