Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Buster Olney says Reds looking for outfield help!!

Re: Buster Olney says Reds looking for outfield help!!

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    The problem is the Reds' pitching hasn't really been all that solid the last few weeks. It's been kind of mixed bag mess. Arroyo--currently pitching his best baseball all season--has a 5.00 + ERA, Harang's getting his warm-weather correction, Owings has been pretty crummy, Volquez has been so-so (but gimpy). Obviously Cueto's been excellent, but that's not enough.

The offense--with Votto--was probably slated to be a bit above NL average, but without, that's probably not going to happen.
    The pitching entered tonight fifth in the majors in ERA. Pick on something else.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Reds will drop at least two spots after tonight, down to 7th in the NL. Slightly above NL-average. Owings goes tomorrow. Count on them falling another spot. See how it works?
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Reds will drop at least two spots after tonight, down to 7th in the NL. Slightly above NL-average. Owings goes tomorrow. Count on them falling another spot. See how it works?
    You obviously didn't read my post correctly. The Reds are fifth in the MAJORS, NOT THE NL. Well above NL-average. See how it works?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    You obviously didn't read my post correctly. The Reds are fifth in the MAJORS, NOT THE NL. Well above NL-average. See how it works?
    5th in the majors is the same thing as 5th in the NL; all the teams in front of them are NL teams. No surprise.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

5th in the majors is the same thing as 5th in the NL; all the teams in front of them are NL teams. No surprise.
    Fifth in the majors is fifth in the majors.

And it's also fifth in the NL.

Back to the OF: The Reds might have had Juan Rivera for about $3M (IIRC). He's currently .305/.346./444./789. He made a terrific catch last night to take away an HR and just missed a second.

Any thoughts or opinions about the Reds missing out on Juan?

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Back to the OF: The Reds might have had Juan Rivera for about $3M (IIRC). He's currently .305/.346./444./789. He made a terrific catch last night to take away an HR and just missed a second.

Any thoughts or opinions about the Reds missing out on Juan?

Rem
    They missed out on him. What else is there to say? IIRC, he had no designs on ever leaving LA, so who cares?

They missed out on him. What else is there to say? IIRC, he had no designs on ever leaving LA, so who cares?
    Well, I'd assume you don't care so I guess the question is, why did you bother to reply?

While I appreciate your contribution I'm looking for input from multiple people.

Rivera every day or did the Reds do better with a platoon of Nix/Gomes? Olney says the Reds are looking for OF help but ......(famous shrug).

Rem

Well, I'd assume you don't care so I guess the question is, why did you bother to reply?

Rem
    Because it's like asking: "What do you think about the Reds missing out on Catfish Hunter?"

Rivera's not going anywhere and the Reds never had a chance anyway.

Rivera's not going anywhere and the Reds never had a chance anyway.
    I don't particularly agree with that. There was a lot of talk here in the OC that he was unhappy with the playing time he was getting with Angels stocked OF. Many people speculated that he would leave for some place that he could play full-time. Also, players have been known to change their loyality for a little extra money. Whitness our own esteemed Coco Cordero.

Besides, I'm really asking would the Reds be happy with Rivera in LF full time vs. Gomes/Nix? If you'd like to reply to that question then I'd seriously like to hear your opinion.

Rem

Fifth in the majors is a bit misleading because the AL is a higher run environment but ya, the Reds rotation is a strength for them.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I don't particularly agree with that. There was a lot of talk here in the OC that he was unhappy with the playing time he was getting with Angels stocked OF. Many people speculated that he would leave for some place that he could play full-time. Also, players have been known to change their loyality for a little extra money. Whitness our own esteemed Coco Cordero.

Besides, I'm really asking would the Reds be happy with Rivera in LF full time vs. Gomes/Nix? If you'd like to reply to that question then I'd seriously like to hear your opinion.

Rem
    I think the Reds would love his defense. That said, while Rivera has annihilated lefties, he has been emasculated against righties so there would probably be gnashing of teeth with him (though he's better against righties than his numbers reflect this season).

I think he would've been an upgrade.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Roughly adjusting all teams ERA's to equalize the extra offense that is in the AL, the Reds came into tonight 9th in the majors in ERA. Not sure where they will be after tonight, but the lowest they can be is 10th, I believe. They will be somewhere in the top 3rd.

As for Rivera, he signed a 3 year 13.75M contract. Rumors were that the Reds were close, but he chose the Angels because they were his first choice.

To get him to come here, who knows what it would cost? Maybe there was no hope, but judging from what he took, it would have taken at least, either a 3 year $17M contract or a 4 year $22M contract.

He definitely would have been an upgrade, but do you really want to overpay for a Juan Rivera?
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

The Reds need to pry Mark Reynolds away from Arizona. It might be a little tougher with Tracy hurt, but they have Whitesell too. I'd send them Drew Stubbs and some kind of useful arm for him.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?