Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Reds are looking for outfield help

The Reds are looking for outfield help

The Reds are looking for outfield help. Personally I'd like to see what the Laynce Nix/Jonny Gomes platoon can do over a full season.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/0...ds-braves.html

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Re: The Reds are looking for outfield help

Interesting. And I like it.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Any help is good help, although I think this platoon could be very good.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Now's not the time. Nix/Gomes is going fine.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Dude Rock

mlbtraderumors said nearly the same thing about the Cards..........that they are also looking for another good RH bat for their lineup.

What about Miguel Tejada? He's been great on offense, would be the right-handed stick the reds need and would really bring together the lineup.

A guess a couple of questions:

Can he play LF? Anyone know?
    Could he play 3rd?
    Is he so bad defensively at SS that he wouldn't help if that's the only place he'd play?

Look at the potential lineup:

Taveras CF
    Hairston 3rd
    Votto 1st
    Tejada SS
    Bruce RF
    Phillips 2nd
    Hernandez Catcher
    Gomes/Nix LF

Look for Walt to trade for a guy we can keep for a few years. In my opinion, it's a waste of valuable resources for a smaller market team to give up valuable prospects for a guy to play 2 months here. Plus, Walt has shown he won't to a CC Sabathia type trade where the player received will only be here for 2 months.

here's walt's history:

http://stl-sabr.bajink.com/fungoes/?page_id=736

I'd like Holliday.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0

I've said it before, but I still think one of the Texas outfielders gets traded soon. Marlon Byrd, Nelson Cruz, or Andruw Jones. If not to the Reds, then maybe the Cards.

I can understand the impulse but I'm not sure how much sense such a move would make for this club. Short of acquiring an elite middle of the order bat, I'm not sure how much of an upgrade we'd get over a Nix / Gomes platoon. I mean Matt Holliday would be an upgrade but would a player like Willingham, Kearns or Hermida be that much more productive that what we already have? I have my doubts.

Could it be that they are looking for a better bench OF than Dickerson?

Dude Rock

My problem right now is you have Heisey hitting around .360 in double AA and Sean Henry hitting around .310 in double AA. They have squat in terms of OFers in triple AAA, other than Drew Stubbs. Heisey and Henry need to be moved up and it needs to be determined what they can give this organization. Heisey has been a surprise for awhile now. Another guy that the critics say won't succeed, while they praise so many other talented guys who aren't putting it together. I'll take overachievers any day of the week over underachievers with alot of talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude Rock View Post
    My problem right now is you have Heisey hitting around .360 in double AA and Sean Henry hitting around .310 in double AA. They have squat in terms of OFers in triple AAA, other than Drew Stubbs.
    I don't expect to wait very long before Heisey moves up. Hopper is expendable. Louisville's roster over the last 365 days have provided the Reds with a lot of players.

Bruce
    Hanigan
    Janish
    Gomes
    Rosales
    Fisher
    Danny Ray
    Dickerson

That's a lot of people to move up and expect lower level prospects to be ready to move into the AAA spots.

I really don't see them going after someone unless they are a middle of the order type bat, considering it wouldn't really be an upgrade over what they already have. Ryan Zimmerman would be a GREAT pickup from Washington to play 3B, but I don't think they'd be willing to part with the package the Nats would want in return, and I wouldn't be willing to either, because I assume they would mention names like Cueto and Volquez.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    I've said it before, but I still think one of the Texas outfielders gets traded soon. Marlon Byrd, Nelson Cruz, or Andruw Jones. If not to the Reds, then maybe the Cards.
    I don't see it being Nelson Cruz. He's solidified there. 40 HR power and 30 SB potential. Really a good player. Byrd is not an upgrade over Gomes/Nix and Andruw Jones... gross

Turn Off Ads?