Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Owings tired after 75 pitches?

Owings tired after 75 pitches?

In the game last night either Welsh or Brantley talked about Owings tiring after ~75 pitches. They had stats to back it up (they were ugly) and showed what his arm angle/motion was doing in the 4th & 5th innings that it wasn't doing in the first 3 innings.

My question for those who know more than me: is this due to his shoulder injury and he needs time to rebuild arm strength or is this a sign that he needs to be in the bullpen?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Owings tired after 75 pitches?

Maybe he gets tired from hitting so many extra base hits?
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    In the game last night either Welsh or Brantley talked about Owings tiring after ~75 pitches. They had stats to back it up (they were ugly) and showed what his arm angle/motion was doing in the 4th & 5th innings that it wasn't doing in the first 3 innings.

My question for those who know more than me: is this due to his shoulder injury and he needs time to rebuild arm strength or is this a sign that he needs to be in the bullpen?
    Heat? Humidity? Max Effort? I wouldn't underestimate how the humidity can effect you when you aren't ready for it and you are struggling.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Heat? Humidity? Max Effort? I wouldn't underestimate how the humidity can effect you when you aren't ready for it and you are struggling.
    it wasn't just the game tuesday. all season his ERA/WHIP rises dramatically after ~75 pitches.

Is the difference more pronounced than other pitchers? What's typical?
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

or maybe the hitters have seen all he has the first two times through the lineup. Owings has no out pitch and once the hitters have adjusted he is in serious trouble unless his command is spot on.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    or maybe the hitters have seen all he has the first two times through the lineup. Owings has no out pitch and once the hitters have adjusted he is in serious trouble unless his command is spot on.
    That's what I'm thinking. Maybe he's just got an old-fashioned case of #5pitcheritis.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

hasn't he been hurt on and off the last couple of years cutting down his innings.

I would like him a lot as a long man. In a perfect world Bailey or Maloney put it together, bumping Owings to the pen.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by Redmachine2003 View Post
    hasn't he been hurt on and off the last couple of years cutting down his innings.
    That was my thought, too. He's being stretched this season more than ever.

Had a long break to start the year w/o pitching as well....didn't he?
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

he went from starter to reliever in the extra innings game back to starter on short rest.. with the way the rest are pitching.. he doesnt hurt.. plus his bat in a game or pinch hitting is a huge plus too

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    I would like him a lot as a long man. In a perfect world Bailey or Maloney put it together, bumping Owings to the pen.
    I'm not sure how much more Maloney could get it together. He deserved a chance a long time ago.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Putting Owings in the pen wastes his bat. In other words, no thanks.

As a starter, he gets the regular ABs of his starts and he is available as a PH on his off-days. As a reliever, he'll get one AB, at most, on the days that he pitches and rarely bat at all on the days that he doesn't (as he won't be in the dugout and won't be used as a PH if he still might be a RP).

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by backbencher View Post
    Putting Owings in the pen wastes his bat. In other words, no thanks.
    I disagree with this assessment, and I've heard it numerous times. Why is it wasted if he's in the pen? It just means he needs to be used more creatively. Instead of plugging in the relief pitcher in a spot to AVOID his bat, you do it the other way around. And whether he's pitched 2 or 3 days in a row doesn't stop you from still using him as a PH'er. As a long reliever, he's even MORE versatile than most. Because you're not forced to pull him to bring in a pinch hitter. It just takes a different train of thought from how we've grown accustomed to seeing relievers used.
    Chapman to the rotation!!!! Do it already!!!!

Turn Off Ads?