Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Find a Right-Handed bat in June/July if the REDS are in contention?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,579

    Find a Right-Handed bat in June/July if the REDS are in contention?

    This was the first post of a thread in Old Red Guard: Just thought it was interesting for a topic, though it's been topicked to death over the last 10 months.

    Find the RH bat

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    We talk about this in other threads, so I thought I'd create a specific thread for it. If the Reds are in the race in June/July, we all expect them to be on the hunt for one thing: A big RH bat for the middle of the lineup. Let's throw out some names.

    The obvious one is Matt Holliday. I think this is tough because Billy Beane isn't going to give him up for anything less than a king's ransom, even though Holliday has struggled. He is one of the few GMs who will let Holliday walk and consider the draft picks adequate compensation. So that's a tough deal to make, although Holliday would be a great fit.

    Other names suggested:

    Jermaine Dye
    Miguel Tejada
    Andruw Jones
    Jayson Werth

    Let's try to get creative, but not too creative. For example, this player probably will be either a corner outfielder or a third baseman. So let's avoid scenarios where we add this guy and move Votto to LF or add that guy and move Phillips to SS. Those things aren't going to happen mid-season. Also, let's stick to RH bats. No debates about the LH-RH thing. Regardless of your personal opinion on this subject, it's pretty clear the Reds favor the RH bat unless there are no realistic options (hence the late pursuit of Abreu).

    If they're picking up a butcher in the field, the bat better be exceptional. It's clear they are placing a premium on defense, and it's working.

    So what do we think? Any names out there we haven't considered?


    ------------------------

    My personal opinion about it, is that we don't need a RH bat. We have Edwin and Phillips, who have both proved over the years very capable of producing against Left-handed pitching, which is the reason one wants to obtain a Right-handed bat. We have Owings off of the bench, and Nix is proving to be valuable, too. Let's see though what the state of the team is at the end of June, and how well Edwin is playing at the time. I expect that he'll be playing well, and we'll forget all about this idea.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member aubashbrother's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Brookneal , VA.
    Posts
    530

    Re: Find a Right-Handed bat in June/July if the REDS are in contention?

    id at least see what it would take to get werth
    2009 Redszone MLB Mock Draft

    1st Round - Steven Strasburg

    1st Round - Matt Purke

    2nd Round - Brett Jackson

    3rd Round - Kent Matthes

  4. #3
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,053

    Re: Find a Right-Handed bat in June/July if the REDS are in contention?

    Philly won't give up werth. They consider themselves in the race and they'll need him themself. I think he's not far from them extending him (if they haven't already I need to check).

    I really do think if ownership will open their pockets a little bit Holliday is a great possibility, not to beat a dead horse.

    Some lesser possibilities:

    Melvin Mora
    Billy Hall (if only Brewers would fall out of this race like I think they might)
    Scott Hairston
    Elijah Dukes
    Ben Francisco
    Mark DeRosa
    Jhonny Peralta
    Jose Guillen for a second tour of duty in Cincy
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    23

    Re: Find a Right-Handed bat in June/July if the REDS are in contention?

    I know he is not a righty, but he does hit lefties about as well as he does righties...Brad Hawpe of the Rockies. It does not look like they are going to be in the race. But I also like the flexibility of DeRosa as well.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,007

    Re: Find a Right-Handed bat in June/July if the REDS are in contention?

    Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    Philly won't give up werth. They consider themselves in the race and they'll need him themself. I think he's not far from them extending him (if they haven't already I need to check).

    I really do think if ownership will open their pockets a little bit Holliday is a great possibility, not to beat a dead horse.

    Some lesser possibilities:

    Melvin Mora
    Billy Hall (if only Brewers would fall out of this race like I think they might)
    Scott Hairston
    Elijah Dukes
    Ben Francisco
    Mark DeRosa
    Jhonny Peralta
    Jose Guillen for a second tour of duty in Cincy

    with the way this clubhouse is meshing and playing together as a unit, I would not take Dukes or Guillen for free. We are missing a few pieces to the puzzle but we got something the Yankees would give a billion dollars for, we got chemistry....there are about 12 teams in MLB that have more talent than us and should beat us 7-10 times, but we are better because of they way we play as a team. Management will consider that before they go bringing in a bad seed to this clubhouse.
    With that said, I like the Scott Hairston idea, good guy, team 1st mentallity. And it couldnt hurt having Jerry here. We all are looking for the next big bat, but I would "consider" looking at Drew Stubbs....bring him up and see if he can help. I know we are looking for a proven person, but Stubbs wouldnt make me mad if he was given a shot.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    2,161

    Re: Find a Right-Handed bat in June/July if the REDS are in contention?

    Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    with the way this clubhouse is meshing and playing together as a unit, I would not take Dukes or Guillen for free. We are missing a few pieces to the puzzle but we got something the Yankees would give a billion dollars for, we got chemistry....there are about 12 teams in MLB that have more talent than us and should beat us 7-10 times, but we are better because of they way we play as a team. Management will consider that before they go bringing in a bad seed to this clubhouse.
    With that said, I like the Scott Hairston idea, good guy, team 1st mentallity. And it couldnt hurt having Jerry here. We all are looking for the next big bat, but I would "consider" looking at Drew Stubbs....bring him up and see if he can help. I know we are looking for a proven person, but Stubbs wouldnt make me mad if he was given a shot.
    The terms "Big Bat" and "Drew Stubbs" should not be used in the same sentence.
    So who would Stubbs replace? He's not an upgrade anywhere at this point, and definitely not in LF. He's a future CF-er IFF he can keep up his MiLB OBP and OPS stats. He's actually starting to shed that bust label, let's not push him to the bigs quite yet.

    PEACE

    -BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

    Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

  8. #7
    Member OesterPoster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    West-central Ohio
    Posts
    2,052

    Re: Find a Right-Handed bat in June/July if the REDS are in contention?

    Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    Some lesser possibilities:

    Melvin Mora [he's now 37 years old, and IDK that his defense is better than EE, is it?]
    Billy Hall (if only Brewers would fall out of this race like I think they might)
    Scott Hairston [Good option, just don't see the Pads getting rid of him though.]
    Elijah Dukes [bad history of being a slacker...not sure he meshes with this team]
    Ben Francisco
    Mark DeRosa [Another decent option, if they don't want too much for him.]
    Jhonny Peralta
    Jose Guillen for a second tour of duty in Cincy [no way...there's a reason he has played for so many teams and burned so many bridges.]

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    109

    Re: Find a Right-Handed bat in June/July if the REDS are in contention?

    I think we'll have to get closer to the deadline to see where teams are. At this point though, I think the only viable option is a power 3B, which there aren't exactly an abundance of. Unless Enc can come back from this "injury" with a renewed sense of hitting anything other than a fastball, I think it's time to try something different there on a more permanent basis. As to LF, I don't think many, if any, of those guys listed are an upgrade over how Nix/Gomes/Hariston are playing *right now*.
    Brian

    Editor StorageReview.com - SSD & HDD Reviews

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,007

    Re: Find a Right-Handed bat in June/July if the REDS are in contention?

    Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    The terms "Big Bat" and "Drew Stubbs" should not be used in the same sentence.
    So who would Stubbs replace? He's not an upgrade anywhere at this point, and definitely not in LF. He's a future CF-er IFF he can keep up his MiLB OBP and OPS stats. He's actually starting to shed that bust label, let's not push him to the bigs quite yet.

    PEACE

    -BLEEDS
    I dont disagree with anything you say, I just think that Stubbs is a great player and could help this team....wouldnt it be nice to have a guy like him when WillyT is playing below average ball? I dont care if we have a platoon at every position in the diamond, if it works and the chemistry is working, then lets do it. I see your points, at the same time I dont see any names out there thats worth what the player is gonna want.....I would not settle for a type C player when Stubbs is down there and could start getting his experience in waves right now. Just my opinion.

  11. #10
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,053

    Re: Find a Right-Handed bat in June/July if the REDS are in contention?

    Here's a name no one is mentioning..... Brian Roberts. He's a poor man's Robby Alomar. He's a good second baseman. A switch hitter, a veteran. A pro's pro. Baltimore would give him up for a package of Bailey and 2 other decent minor leaguers........ we should look to make this move and slide Phillips to short.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    352

    Re: Find a Right-Handed bat in June/July if the REDS are in contention?

    Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    Here's a name no one is mentioning..... Brian Roberts. He's a poor man's Robby Alomar. He's a good second baseman. A switch hitter, a veteran. A pro's pro. Baltimore would give him up for a package of Bailey and 2 other decent minor leaguers........ we should look to make this move and slide Phillips to short.
    i been thinking about his too, Baltimore is Rebuilding right now so there is no use for Roberts, Bailey + Francisco for Roberts?

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    'sconsin
    Posts
    2

    Re: Find a Right-Handed bat in June/July if the REDS are in contention?

    Baltimore just signed Roberts to an extension. They could've traded him or let him go for draft picks. They also brought up Wieters, so I don't think they view it as him having no use. He is probably the most popular player on the team and the owner is notorious for asking for a treasure in trades. I'd say conversation for roberts would start with Cueto or Volquez.

  14. #13
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,053

    Re: Find a Right-Handed bat in June/July if the REDS are in contention?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Hal View Post
    Baltimore just signed Roberts to an extension. They could've traded him or let him go for draft picks. They also brought up Wieters, so I don't think they view it as him having no use. He is probably the most popular player on the team and the owner is notorious for asking for a treasure in trades. I'd say conversation for roberts would start with Cueto or Volquez.
    I don't think the asking price would be that steep.

    They're rebuilding with young talent in Baltimore. Roberts is over 30 and his best years are probably behind him (or he may have 2 more at most in him after this year). Markakis' team, with Wieters and Adam Jones close behind. Guys like Aubrey Huff (we dont need him) and Roberts (at a little steeper price) then Huff can be had.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Weatherford, Texas
    Posts
    2,125

    Re: Find a Right-Handed bat in June/July if the REDS are in contention?

    Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    Philly won't give up werth. They consider themselves in the race and they'll need him themself. I think he's not far from them extending him (if they haven't already I need to check).

    I really do think if ownership will open their pockets a little bit Holliday is a great possibility, not to beat a dead horse.

    Some lesser possibilities:

    Melvin Mora
    Billy Hall (if only Brewers would fall out of this race like I think they might)
    Scott Hairston
    Elijah Dukes
    Ben Francisco
    Mark DeRosa
    Jhonny Peralta
    Jose Guillen for a second tour of duty in Cincy
    No offense but this team would be better off staying pat than adding any of those players... Not anyone is What the Team needs... The ORG list is laughable as well...

    Like a Grady Sizemore to play left and Bat 4th I would go for... Young, tremendous Power Potential...

    That is the type of Player this team needs... Something to make a difference... An Elite Hitter. Why even make a Trade for theose mentioned beforehand... Like Austin Kearns? Felipe Lopez? Jeff Francouer? No way!

    Add a Big Bat like Sizemore, and Not a Bat like Holiday, who will only parish as a hitter outside of Coors Field... This team should have gotton Scott Rolen years ago when Philadelphia Traded him to St.Louis... THis team could have been competetive for a few years when that went down!

  16. #15
    Dude Rock
    Guest

    Re: Find a Right-Handed bat in June/July if the REDS are in contention?

    Yeah, the more I read these trade options, there aren't many that I like.

    Plus, I really think management intends to ride the current roster out and see how they finish, and make adjustments in the offseason, while seeing if player salaries continue to drop somewhat.

    I did kinda like the idea of trading for Bedard and Beltre. Both are in the last year of their contracts and might not cost that much since they'd basically be rent-a-players. Depends on how cheap you could get them.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25