Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSL Question

DSL Question

I have a local phone/DSL package from ATT and it stinks. In one my many forays into phone cue hell, a rep told me the problem was outside of my apartment, they'd send someone to fix it and I didn't need to be home.

Of course the guy came and didn't fix it because I wasn't home.

I'm done with ATT but I'm wondering: if I switch the DSL provider (and at this point I want to out of spite), do I just run into the same problem because the local phone service hasn't changed?

My ignorance about such things is deep and wide. I mean who's even responsible for climbing the pole and fixing the line anymore?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: DSL Question

More than likely the problem is with the physical phone line. Switching providers won't do much to help, as my own experience has proven. I switched to cable internet and couldn't be happier.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

I'm on cable internet as well, and it has been reliable and fast for us for years. (Probably the biggest reason we haven't switched to satellite tv.) I've heard mixed results on DSL.

What 1869 said. Switching providers probably won't fix the problem when it could very well be in the condition of the phone lines.

I too have had cable modem for many years now. Yeah, I pay more; but you get what you pay for.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    More than likely the problem is with the physical phone line. Switching providers won't do much to help, as my own experience has proven. I switched to cable internet and couldn't be happier.
    +1

And personally, I've had nothing but great experiences with AT&T.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Go cable if you can. Totally worth it.

I have AT&T and awhile back I had a similar problem with the line. AT&T said that the problem was probably the line running into the apartment and they would send a rep out. It was fixed within 24 hours. No problem since.

Rojo, is it possible that the rep checked the outside line and determined that the problem wasn't there and that why (s)he needed access to your apartment?

BTW, when I contacted my management company they said that they would pay any service fee (if there was one) because, since they technically are responsible for the wiring inside the apartment too, they would pay for it. They also said that if I wasn't home and that scenario played out just to give them permission to allow the AT&T rep to enter and tell AT&T to go to the management office if they needed access and they would let him in. It didn't come to that but both of those responses got big rep points from me with my management company.

Overall, AT&T has been fine for everything I use them for. I tried cable internet (Time/Warner) and it was terrible. I went running back to AT&T about 4 years ago.

Rem

Thanks everyone. I knew I'd get a lot of "get cable" responses -- people who have it, love it. I just can't get past the cost.

Rem, interesting to hear your contrary response. It sounds like switching DSL providers won't help, so I'm giving ATT one more chance to get the line fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Rem, interesting to hear your contrary response. It sounds like switching DSL providers won't help, so I'm giving ATT one more chance to get the line fixed.
    Rojo: I was hesitent to call AT&T to come out and check it because, in the old days, they used to charge $85.00 just to check the interior wireing. But once the Management Company said they would pay for it if there even was a charge, well, that was a no brainer.

See if your Management Company will do the same thing.

Rem

I had a problem with Verizon DSL once. I kept calling and complaining. They kept coming out to try to fix it. The lines were good, I was told. After multiple calls, they finally figured out they wired the DSL backwards at the switch room at the telephone company.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    I had a problem with Verizon DSL once. I kept calling and complaining. They kept coming out to try to fix it. The lines were good, I was told. After multiple calls, they finally figured out they wired the DSL backwards at the switch room at the telephone company.
    So you were paying for LSD?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post

That was good, G-man. Or was it that you're speaking from experience?

Rem

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Expensive!

Probably just thought you were online all those times.

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post

That was good, G-man. Or was it that you're speaking from experience?

Rem
    I refuse to say anything on the grounds it may incriminate me.

Turn Off Ads?