Turn Off Ads?
Page 40 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 Kentucky Wildcats Men's Basketball - 4th edition

Re: 2009 Kentucky Wildcats Men's Basketball - 4th edition

In news that should surprise no one, Joe Jackson is committing to Memphis.

My question is this, should Pastner have a rocky season in C-USA this season, do you think Will Barton and Joe Jackson will honor their commitments?

I'd say Jackson would be more likely, but Barton is still going to be having voices in his ear telling him to get out.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    In news that should surprise no one, Joe Jackson is committing to Memphis.

My question is this, should Pastner have a rocky season in C-USA this season, do you think Will Barton and Joe Jackson will honor their commitments?

I'd say Jackson would be more likely, but Barton is still going to be having voices in his ear telling him to get out.
    Memphis will still have a good bit more talent than most of C-USA. Maybe all of C-USA. And their nonconference schedule isn't exactly frightening. I'd say they're a decent bet for 25+ wins again.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I know it is "minor," but it is still a good start!

http://www.sportingnews.com/college-...dary-violation

Kentucky basketball reports secondary violation

Mike DeCourcy, Sporting News
    Comments (0) More
    Login or register to post comments Printer-friendly version Friday, Sep. 11, 2009 - 4:15 p.m. ET
    Kentucky reported a secondary rules violation to the NCAA involving a former program assistant, a source close to the Wildcats told Sporting News.

In early July, Bilal Batley visited the UK practice gym to speak with a player regarding an academic matter, the source said. While there, he was seen gathering rebounds for one of the players. The university determined it should be turned into the NCAA as a secondary violation.

An Oklahoma graduate, Batley worked several years at John Lucas' training center in Houston and joined John Calipari's staff at Memphis last fall. He resigned his Kentucky position last week to return home to Houston because of a family illness, the source said.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

The guy shagged a few rebounds for a player while he was dicussing his academics with him? Let's go ahead and give UK the death penalty.

Man, what a bloated piece of excrement the NCAA has become. I actually feel sorry for Sandy Bell, who has to late in bed at night wondering whether or not she should self-report this crap.

This is why I like Calipari:

Two SG recruits for 2010 are being recruited by UK.

Doron Lamb (26th Scout, 21st Rivals)
    Stacey Poole (58th Scout, 27th Rivals)

Lamb is the scorer that Kentucky needs out of the SG position rather than the athletic ability that Poole possesses. That being said, Poole is in for a visit this weekend and will make a decision thereafter. Kentucky wants Lamb but if he doesn't speed up the commitment process, they will take a commitment from Poole instead.

Why is this different? Gillispie and Tubby had more of a tendency to throw all of their eggs into one basket and came out empty handed. All indications are that Poole will likely commit, but if you can pressure a higher ranked player to commit, you do it.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Poole will make his decision on Thursday at 5:30 on ESPN-U. It's between Kentucky and South Carolina.

Why is this different? Gillispie and Tubby had more of a tendency to throw all of their eggs into one basket and came out empty handed. All indications are that Poole will likely commit, but if you can pressure a higher ranked player to commit, you do it.

Mike Davis was notoriously bad at that as well.

IU came in "2nd" for Josh Smith(NBA) Charlie Villanueva(UConn) Sean May(UNC) and Josh McRoberts(Duke)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Poole will make his decision on Thursday at 5:30 on ESPN-U. It's between Kentucky and South Carolina.
    Winner is Kentucky ! Poole himself says on ESPNU.

Very, very nice. Kid is an absolute monster athletically and will thrive in the DDMO.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Very, very nice. Kid is an absolute monster athletically and will thrive in the DDMO.
    Love the fact that he is a slasher type, but we need shooters bad. Would have liked to have had Lamb, but Poole isn't a bad consolation prize.

part of BBN

Sporting News preseason basketball magazine is out. Has pic of Calapari/ Pitino facing each other on cover.
    Ranks Kentucky #2 behind Kansas.

Quote Originally Posted by rocko View Post
    Sporting News preseason basketball magazine is out. Has pic of Calapari/ Pitino facing each other on cover.
    Ranks Kentucky #2 behind Kansas.
    This is a minor point, I confess, but in case folks in other parts of the country go out looking for this...

The major preseason publications such as Sporting News, Athlon, Steele's, Lindy's, etc.) put out different covers for different regions of the country. So each region will get a photo of a player or coach that is likely to sell the most magazines off the stand in that area.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    This is a minor point, I confess, but in case folks in other parts of the country go out looking for this...

The major preseason publications such as Sporting News, Athlon, Steele's, Lindy's, etc.) put out different covers for different regions of the country. So each region will get a photo of a player or coach that is likely to sell the most magazines off the stand in that area.
    Great point as I forgot to mention that.
    Baseball magazines do it the same way as far as regionally.

On a completely unrelated note, i'm surprised there hasn't been any coverage on here regarding the campouts at the Craft Center for Big Blue Madness tickets.

The players were out this week mingling with the fans and playing cornhole. Calipari's wife brought out hot chocolate to the campers the night before and Cal and his son pitched a tent and stayed out among the campers last night.

The atmosphere at Kentucky is just absolutely amazing compared to the past. The excitement that Cal has brought to the program and how he has received the fans compared to Gillispie and even Tubby has been great.

Also, here is a list from KSR of the recruits attending BBM:

Maybe more important than who’s going to be visiting the ticket lines, is the amount of talent that will be visiting UK the weekend of Madness. Here’s where the list stands now:

Tobias Harris (2010 forward)
    Rankings: Scout’s #2 PF, #9 overall/Rivals’ #1 PF, #5 overall
    Recruitment: Kentucky, Louisville, Maryland, Syracuse, Georgia Tech, Tennessee, West Virginia
    Harris is one of the more versatile forwards in his class. Standing 6′8″, he can handle the ball well in the open court and has nice range to his jumper.

CJ Leslie (2010 forward)
    Rankings: Scout’s #3 PF, #12 overall/Rivals’ #4, #14 overall
    Recruitment: Long list, Kentucky, Florida, Maryland, UConn, others
    Another versatile forward, CJ Leslie also has a lot of length and athleticism. Handling the ball well for his size is not a problem but critics love to knock his ability to finish around the rim, something which he has shown flashes of improving over the summer.

Kyrie Irving (2010 guard)
    Rankings: Scout’s #2 PG, #5 overall/Rivals’ #4 PG, #9 overall
    Recruitment: Kentucky, Duke, Georgia Tech, Seton Hall, Texas A&M
    Irving’s leadership skills and knack for handling the ball well make him a great fit for the point guard position but this kid can also pour in points when he needs to, especially if he gets hot from behind the arc.

Michael Gilchrist (2011 forward)
    Rankings: #1…in everything, everywhere
    Recruitment: Kentucky and Villanova are leaders, although there are other schools involved
    As his rankings indicate, there aren’t too many holes in his game. His smooth slashing and ability to finish through contact is what sticks out most. Also has a pretty rangy jumper.

Marquis Teague (2011 guard)
    Rankings: Scout’s #1 PG, #5 overall/Rivals’ #1 PG, #2 overall
    Recruitment: Long thought to be a UL lean, the fact that he continues to hold off a decision bodes well for others, including UK. UNC is also making an effort to get involved. Ohio State, Wake Forest, UC, Purdue and Indiana are in there as well.
    Teague is a flashy scoring point guard. He is able to score easily most of the time just based on the fact that he is quicker and more explosive than anyone guarding him.

Angel Nunez (2011 forward)
    Rankings: Scout’s #13 SF, #59 overall/Rivals’ #11 SF, #47 overall
    Recruitment: Still has a long list. Arizona, Kentucky and Louisville have been some of the most talked schools surrounding Nunez but UConn, Indiana, Rutgers, St. John’s and West Virginia are also in pursuit.
    Nunez stands at 6′7″ and has a lot of abilities that others his size lack. He can handle the ball well and also passes the ball well for his size. His shot isn’t great, but decent and rangy given his size. When Louisville began their pursuit of Nunez and things started picking up steam, the hot comparison was to former Louisville standout Francisco Garcia.

Achraf Yacoubou (2011 guard)
    Rankings: Scout’s #16 SG, #69 overall/Rivals’ #19 SG, #76 overall
    Recruitment: Yacoubou doesn’t receive a lot of national attention, which is weird since he holds offers from the likes of UConn, Kentucky, Georgia Tech, Maryland, Oklahoma, Villanova and Wake Forest. Nova, Kentucky and UConn are thought to be in good position.
    Yacoubou had a sprained ankle for part of the summer, which may have dipped his rankings. He’s an aggressive guard on both ends of the court and always plays hard. He’s shown good shooting ability and form.

A very important note: Most don’t expect this to be the finalized list of Madness visitors and you can count me in that group. There is a LOT of talk about Quincy Miller, another consensus top ten player in 2011, making the visit to Lexington. His high school coach couldn’t confirm the visit when I talked to him today, but most believe this one to be set. Either way, that visit should be confirmed before the end of this weekend. There are other candidates as well, so don’t be surprised if this list continues to grow.

Turn Off Ads?